Thread: O'Flaherty Irish Music Retreat, October in Northern Texas

Default O'Flaherty Irish Music Retreat, October in Northern Texas

Just a heads up. The O'Flaherty Irish Music Retreat is coming up in October in Northern Texas (Midlothian, Tx, just SW of Dallas/Fort Worth) with an awesome lineup of teachers for classes aimed at beginners through advanced players.

The beginning/intermediate mandolin/tenor banjo/tenor guitar/octave mandolin class will be taught by, um, well, me. There are also separate advanced classes by much more famous instructors for mandolin and tenor banjo players, and uilleann pipes, fiddle, harp, accordion, bodhran, guitar, flute, whistle, dancing and you name it. More info at this link.

http://www.oflahertyretreat.org/

Registration is open.

As both a previous teacher and previous student, I can highly and honestly recommend this retreat for anyone interested in traditional Irish music. Hope to see you there!
    John Liestman -
    Eye new ewe wood lye kit!

Default Re: O'Flaherty Irish Music Retreat, October in Northern Texas

Every year has been terrific and I've only missed three of them. What John is not telling you is that he is teaching the beginner mandolin and banjo classes. He is one of the best teachers I've had - he filled in for Mick for one class - and this year he is one of many great teachers. If you can only go to one of these a year, this is the one to attend.

Mike Keyes

Default Re: O'Flaherty Irish Music Retreat, October in Northern Texas

I heartily endorse these comments! I've traveled considerable distance (from Canada) to attend the O'Flaherty retreat five out of the past six years, and all have been a wonderful three-day experience. In addition to John's (excellent, by the way) and Mick Moloney's (also excellent) mandolin classes, I've had the opportunity to take tenor banjo classes with Angelina Carberry, Enda Scahill, and Kieran Hanrahan -- quite a lineup!! And instructors for the other classes (fiddle, flute, pipes, etc.) are equally impressive. In three days, you get nine hours of instruction on your instrument in a small class setting, plus other enrichment and information sessions of your choosing. And the evening instructors' concerts are always awesome! If you're considering going to an Irish music camp this year, I can certainly recommend this one.
    Too many instruments...too little time