Thread: Fret wire size

Default Fret wire size

Hello Everyone, anyone know what size fret wire currently comes standard on Collins or Weber mandolins ? I'm going to attempted my first fret job on my Rover RM75 . I've played both a Weber and Collins side by side and like the feel of the frets. Compared to the Rover they are jumbo size. Thank you for your time, Henry

Default Re: Fret wire size

Weber uses .080 wire for their frets. I think it's commonly known as banjo wire.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Quote Originally Posted by Prairieghost View Post
    Hello Everyone, anyone know what size fret wire currently comes standard on Collins or Weber mandolins ? I'm going to attempted my first fret job on my Rover RM75 . I've played both a Weber and Collins side by side and like the feel of the frets. Compared to the Rover they are jumbo size. Thank you for your time, Henry
    I just had EVO Gold banjo fretwire put on my Eastman 615 and i love it. It had the tiny Loar style frets prior to having them replaced and i much prefer the larger fret size
    "All music is folk music, i ain't never heard no horse sing a song"- Louie Armstrong

Eastman md-314
    Eastman md-615
    Martin D-35
    Takamine gd-20ns
    pre-war German "Stradivarius" violin

This is the Weber wire type - FW37080. It can be bought in the EVO Gold style as ''EVO Gold FW37080'' . Info. from Bruce Weber.
    A further piece of info.that Bruce gave me - all Weber frets are 'press fitted' - NOT glued,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Thank you all, I think the Collins I played had evo frets on it. The frets were definitely bigger. And the mandolins felt better .

.080 or thereabouts is standard width for Collings mandolins. I just measured a few with digital caliper at .078 -.079.

Close enuf.

7. The following members say thank you to Frank Ford for this post:

Nevin 

Here's the info from the Jescar Fret wire site :- https://www.jescar.com/product-categ...lloy/evo-gold/
    FW 37080 = .080" in width,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Quote Originally Posted by fidlplr1979 View Post
    I just had EVO Gold banjo fretwire put on my Eastman 615 and i love it. It had the tiny Loar style frets prior to having them replaced and i much prefer the larger fret size
    Can you articulate exactly what it is about the larger size that "feels better? I'm just curious. Is it height or width? Fret ends?

I've played a couple of Eastman mandolins & with the smaller (narrower) fret wire,they seemed harder to fret to get a clear note.
    As you can imagine,the 'lower' the frets,the harder it would be to get clearly defined notes - even for the same fret width. The wider frets,for the same height,are just more 'positive' - IMO,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Another factor to consider is that if you're new to doing fretting or refrets, using a slightly taller wire gives you a little more fudge room for leveling.....not that I've ever needed that extra as all my fret jobs are on the money ;-)

I learnt on instruments with low skinny wire, I didn't know any different and it sure does teach you to to place your fingers accurately. Very recently, I've become a convert to larger wire (80x35 for mandolins) and it really is nicer to play on. I'm not completely sold on the aesthetics of it, but you can't have everything I guess! Strangely this stuff isn't necessarily any higher than the traditional skinny 50x35 wire, it just feels "nicer" in some strange undefined way....

I bought a mandolin years ago with larger wire, tried to like it. I played it for a week and refretted it to smaller wire.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!