Thread: Mike Osgar mandolin

Default Mike Osgar mandolin

Just received (via Ebay) this unique mandolin made in 1975 by Mike Osgar in Minneapolis. From what few scraps I can glean from the net and then from a couple of folks who know him (including guitar-maker Charlie Hoffman who was a friend and neighbor), Mike was born in 1898, learned his craft at Lyon & Healy in the 20s, later had his own small shop in Minneapolis for a number of years when he did custom work, repairs, and for a while in the 70s had rigged up a jig to make all of the banjo bridges for Gibson.

This mandolin is just exquisite. There are some details that are so fine it's hard to fathom--the abalone inlay on the fingerboard and headstock glows from within; the arching of the top and back is amazing, the carving of the point are sweet as can be--and some details, like the hand-cut purfling and the soundhole rosette, that are just a little rough, like he was making choices about when to be folksy and when to be absolutely uncannily perfect. There is a certain amount more set-up and a few minor maintenance things left to do, but it is playing and sounding sweeter with every note.

Then the back and sides--I don't know what they are, but it looks and feels like some kind of fruitwood or unusual homegrown hardwood like butternut. Can anyone out there tell?

The mandolin speaks and sings of an artisan's life well and truly lived. Google says he passed away in 1996 at age 98. Wow.... Anyhow, there's nothing really to compare this to, except an early 20s Lyon Healy style A, which this so clearly is and just as clearly isn't.
    JosephClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0715.JPG 
Views:	306 
Size:	124.4 KB 
ID:	133285Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0716.JPG 
Views:	280 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	133286Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0717.JPG 
Views:	265 
Size:	112.7 KB 
ID:	133287Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0718.JPG 
Views:	325 
Size:	117.9 KB 
ID:	133288
    Joseph

Default Re: Mike Osgar mandolin

That looks awesome. Mind asking what you ended up paying for it?

Infrequently Smelt Gregory Tidwell's Avatar

I really like that one too. I like the stag horn motif on the headstock.
    Objects in mirror are closer then they appear.

- Buick, 1986

That is lovely. It is hard to be sure but the back looks a lot like cherry to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevin View Post
    That is lovely. It is hard to be sure but the back looks a lot like cherry to me.
    Could be. Charlie Hoffman thinks it may be from a big old apple tree in Osgar's backyard!

You did good!! Here's the listing Osgar Mandolin.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    You did good!! Here's the listing Osgar Mandolin.
    After just a day out of the box it's sounding and playing brilliantly. Very woody and rich. A little bit more tweaking to do on the action, but it's very fast and articulate. Intonation isn't quite right up the neck--quite sharp at the 12th. A bit of back/side seam separation near the tail end like you see on old Gibsons. Other than that it's in ridiculously good condition--looks like it was never taken out of the case.

The finish is quite unusual--obviously not lacquer but a varnish/oil finish that has a wonderful soft glow to it. Sweet, sweet instrument.

Looks like this same mandolin is currently up for sale on eBay: Osgar Mandolin. Certainly an interesting back story.

There is an L&H thread that jdsobol posted other pics of this mandolin.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

===========

Very cool! Congratulations and enjoy!

Wow! unique and absolutely beautiful.
    I am really happy for you but I must admit that the mando nut in me is also very envious.
    Great find.

Congrats to the buyer. A bargain both times.
    Enjoying the Moment

To clarify: jdsobol bought this back in 2015 and sold it to someone (anyone here) recently.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately: