Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Famous Friends

Default Re: Famous Friends

I had a great time in my 20s to about 35, befriended Derek Trucks' camp early on.

I have met and at least had a discussion with: BB King, Derek Trucks (all of Derek Trucks Band, Susan Tedschi Band, and Tedeschi Trucks Band), Warren Haynes (all of Govt Mule), Dickey Betts, Bela Fleck, Black Crowes (when Audley Freed was in the band), Infamous Stringdusters, Devon Allman, Cracker, Rusted Root, Jason Isbell, and I am sure many more not counting many "punk" bands.

My wife's grandmother is cousins with Ted Nugent but haven't been able to meet him.

So, not me, but a member of our group that plays every week. This gentleman is a very well known lawyer in NC. He shows up last week with a beautiful Santa Cruise 'Tony Rice' model guitar with HIS name inlayed at the 12th fret. When asked about it he said " Tony had this custom made for me as a gift for work I had done for him over time". Amazing guitar and friendship.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Where do I begin? When I was three I petted Rin Tin Tin.
    I bumped into Billy Joel coming out of a hospital.
    Was invited back stage to meet Cher. She generously invited a group of kids with facial defects to a concert.
    Had breakfast with Rich DelGrosso at a mando camp.
    Shook hands with Dawg after a show in NYC
    Joe Pesci has a house not far from where I live and ran into him once or twice.
    Rubbed elbows with Cousin Brucie
    A law enforcement friend of mine had to go to Tommy James' house and brought me along
    None of these are my friends, but it's a fun collection. They're just people.

I'm not even sure I'm friends with the guys in my band.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Astro For This Useful Post:

Registered User Rosemary Philips's Avatar

I've been to several acoustic music (mostly mandolin) camps over the years where you just kinda get to hang out with, and learn from, many of your musical idols in a pretty low-key way. And, of course, with Skype lessons, you can take lessons with some of the best. My most intimidating moment was at a camp playing Old Daingerfield with Ronnie McCoury and the second time through Ronnie told me to keep playing the melody and he'd play harmony. My fingers kept moving but I'm not sure what notes I actually played.

Registered User Rosemary Philips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ostrander View Post
    I've held Ted Nugent's loin cloth.

I'm not making this up...
    I afraid to ask...?

Since I've been going to Delfest Academy for the last handful of years, I've had the opportunity to talk with Sierra Hull, Ronnie McCoury, and Jesse Brock during the course of some lessons and a handful of minor discussions. Had some pizza and talked about the Louvin Brothers with Leigh Gibson one year. Can't say they'd consider me a friend, but would probably recognize my face and say howdy as we crossed in the street.

Can't wait to see my *friends* again at the end of the month.

A banjo playing, guitar playing dobro playing friend of mine claims to have made beans on toast for Rod Stewart (before he was famous) and Tim O'Brien once let me get of an aircraft before him in New Zealand. Oh - and I met Ivan Kelsall, in the flesh, 40+ years ago!

Is this about friends,or people that we have met? I think it turned into both now,,,so ..in no particular order,bluegrass wise,I've met David Grisman and Tony Rice,talked to Buck White and played his mandolin,have met Bill Monroe several times and held his mandolin as he signed an autograph for me,went to a free workshop by Bobby Osborne and was the only one who showed up,,talked to Earl Scruggs and walked with his son Randy,partied with Butch Robbins,, there's more,this is what I recall at the moment...

===========

T.D., you are right - the thread was originally intended for a listing of folks with famous 'friends' . . . but we are letting members reminisce about brushes with the famous also . . . .

Although by no means was he in any way involved with the mandolin, way back in the 1970's, I used to live in the apartment below a well known tenor sax player, Joe Henderson. He was a great guy, and there was a steady stream of jazz musicians that would visit. Not having been into jazz so much, I have no idea who some of those players were, but I'll bet there were some heavy hitters coming and going. I would hear Joe practicing often. He also had a piano, and I remember hearing him play lines on the piano, and later hear the same idea again , but on the tenor sax. Very cool.
    Tony Szczygielski

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Poole View Post
    Jim, Yes that is the same Rick Nelson, I also think that I have met you somewhere on the circuit...

I might also add that the biggest star I ever met was Zaza Gabor,

Willie
    Best quotes ever come from her. I remember "I'm a marvelous housekeeper. Every time I marry a man I keep his house."

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JEStanek View Post
    I've driven Jake Shimabokuro to his hotel and he bought my young daughter an ice cream.

Jamie
    Those are the sorts of moments that are the most fun for me.

I've met some famous novelists, poets, artists, actors, and musicians at various camps and festivals. I took a leak next to Sonny Terry. I stepped on Noam Pikelney's feet.
    But this is more interesting:
    Famous People I Have Known: https://www.amazon.com/Famous-People.../dp/081319069X

Mike Zito: "Had moderate ongoing contact with WWVA Wheeling stars Doc Williams and Lee Moore (later opened a show for Lee Moore)"

Mike, I got to play for Doc William's birthday party along with other groups not too long before Doc's passing. I'm friends with his daughters: Peeper, Punkin', & Pooch. Did a recording session with Punkin' (Karen). When I lived near Philly, a band member upon learning I was from Wheeling, WV told me that he had learned guitar from a book he had ordered from Lee Moore (the coffee drinking nighthawk's radio show) - small world.

Willie Poole: "Jim, Yes that is the same Rick Nelson, I also think that I have met you somewhere on the circuit..."

Willie, I once played with my group (Haywire) in Mitchellville, Md in the mid 90's. The last group I played with in PA was Walls Of Time, we played some festivals (Wind Gap, OATS, etc.) Perhaps I've run into you at one of those?
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Donald Duck Dunn was a customer for many years when I lived in Florida. Not a musician but Jared Jeffries of the Knicks was my neighbor.

I got to know Bill Clifton pretty well when he lived over here in the UK back in the 1960's / 70's. The only other person of note that i got to know fairly well,was Mike Seeger. Mike used to come over to the UK quite regularly either on hs own or with Alice Gerrard, & he nealy always played at the MSG (Manchester Sports Guild) Folk Club in Manchester. I went down with a mandolin playing friend of mine to see him & Alice one Sat. night back in the late '70's,that was where my friend saw his first Gibson F-5 mandolin,the 'blonde' one that Mike used to play - that was a real jaw dropper for him !,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

IN the non-musical department, I had a famous relative. My uncle was Ira Levin, author of Rosemary's Baby, Deathtrap,The Stepford Wives etc.
    No, he wasn't weird (everyone asks me that). He was a genuinely nice, soft spoken guy with a terrific sense of humor.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

20. The following members say thank you to Paul Busman for this post:

Got acquainted with the late John Renbourn when we were both in our late teens back in 63/64 and he was just starting out. Re-connected with him in 2014 about a year before he passed on. He visited and sat in my kitchen for a couple of hours playing three or four guitars I'd built.......a magical experience.... He was a delightful gentleman and a wonderful guitarist for sure.

Not a close friend, but a neighbor, I would see Tiny Tim shopping at the same grocery that I did when I lived in Manhattan in the late 70's. He was recently divorced, no longer on TV, and his career was declining, but he liked being recognized and I would always say "Hi, Tiny Tim!" and he would tilt his head and smile, beaming with pride. It still brings a smile to my face thinking of him in a loud plaid sport coat pushing a shopping cart through that small grocery. I was glad to see his career was revived somewhat in the 80's and he was able to tour and play some of the smaller clubs, again.

Stood next to Tony Rice in a legion hall washroom.
    After he washed his hands, he turned his head sideways, peered at the empty slot in the paper towel dispenser where the paper should have been, cursed and walked out. I would have let him use my shirt to dry his hands, but I was in too much awe to think clearly.
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

24. The following members say thank you to Fretbear for this post:

Kate Upton keeps calling me.
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil-D View Post
    Where do I begin? When I was three I petted Rin Tin Tin.
    Winner!

I've met some big names. They are just people.

(Except when they're dogs, of course)

I spent a bunch of time over the years with Barry Mitterhoff and Carlo Aonzo. I studied with Roy Smeck for about 4 years in the 1980s and also with Tiny Moore and Jethro Burns. I corresponded with Mike Compton and Butch Baldassari and met both of them later at concerts and CMSA respectively. I spent three wonderful weeks building a guitar in a class with Wayne Henderson in the mid-1980s. We worked in the shop for a bunch of hours then hung out and played some.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

My second cousin is married to actress Bree Turner. Bree co-stars with Claire Coffee in the TV series Grimm. Claire Coffee is married to Chris Thile.
    So, Thile and I are practically "mishpucha".

29. The following members say thank you to barry for this post: