Thread: watch this-famous last words(Redline A content)

Default watch this-famous last words(Redline A content)

awesome
    and now a there's a couple folks who probably wish they bought Kevin's Redline

2. The following members say thank you to darylcrisp for this post:

Default Re: watch this-famous last words(Redline A content)

Awesome playing, and I really enjoyed it. But in a million years I would not have known that was a version of Red Haired Boy. Maybe if I ran the video at half speed or through a slow down app. But some seriously fine picking.

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

Mando-shred!

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

I'm sure he'd sound good on a Whitman's sampler box, rubber bands, and a dip stick.

Thanks for the clips! Those are fantastic!
    I'm telling you, those RedLine A5 mandolins are real gems. And a fantastic buy for $1300-$1400 used.

I think Kevin's is still available. Listed at $1400
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/110335#110335
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	110335.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	156647

7. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

Blog Entries

That RL sounds really good to me!
    btw -whats that tune?

9. The following members say thank you to Mark Wilson for this post:

Blog Entries

If a red-haired boy is a phrase designating an illegitimate son, I would have to agree that whatever he is playing is indeed a red haired boy of someone and/or something. And he does play it impressively. The mandolin, too.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_al View Post
    Thanks for the clips! Those are fantastic!
    I'm telling you, those RedLine A5 mandolins are real gems. . . .
    Yup! I just bought this: https://reverb.com/item/1595967-redl...014-spruce-top

They accepted my $1,200 offer. (Luckily, because I couldn't do much more.) Yee-ha!

Now excuse me while I go camp out by the mailbox . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by HonketyHank View Post
    If a red-haired boy is a phrase designating an illegitimate son, I would have to agree that whatever he is playing is indeed a red haired boy of someone and/or something. And he does play it impressively. The mandolin, too.
    Actually, presume it refers to a scot or irish person.
    Perhaps youre thinking black sheep, red herring or?????

Quote Originally Posted by stevedenver View Post
    Actually, presume it refers to a scot or irish person.
    Perhaps youre thinking black sheep, red herring or?????
    Red-headed step-child?
    PS- Red headed children can be born to 2 non-red headed parents. If both parents carry the recessive red-hair gene on MC1R, there is a 25% chance they will have a red headed child.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_al View Post
    Red-headed step-child?
    PS- Red headed children can be born to 2 non-red headed parents. If both parents carry the recessive red-hair gene on MC1R, there is a 25% chance they will have a red headed child.
    Oh. I thought a redhead was the result of an 'encounter' between a Viking and an aboriginal Scot or Celt or other darkhaired folk. I seem to remember gleaning that 'fact' during a visit to Glennfiddich. Shoot. Another pleasant myth bites the dust.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Quote Originally Posted by HonketyHank View Post
    Oh. I thought a redhead was the result of an 'encounter' between a Viking and an aboriginal Scot or Celt or other darkhaired folk. I seem to remember gleaning that 'fact' during a visit to Glennfiddich. Shoot. Another pleasant myth bites the dust.
    That may be, but even if one parent has red hair, meaning that they have 2 copies of the recessive gene, the other parent must at least have one copy of the same gene in order to have a red headed child.

Back to the music. While the technical skill of his playing was very impressive, I find that taste and restraint are a huge part of soloing. iMO, that was the worst version of Red Haired Boy I have ever heard. Showing off just for the sake of showing off. As Franc above mentioned, if I didn't see the title in the thread, I never would have known what tune it was.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

17. The following members say thank you to mandobassman for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mandobassman View Post
    Back to the music. While the technical skill of his playing was very impressive, I find that taste and restraint are a huge part of soloing. iMO, that was the worst version of Red Haired Boy I have ever heard. Showing off just for the sake of showing off. As Franc above mentioned, if I didn't see the title in the thread, I never would have known what tune it was.
    that's one of the tunes he played at the Walnut Valley National Mandolin Championship.

FWIW, I think Myles is one of the most accomplished mandolin players I know of. If I could play RHB like that, I probably would! Keep in mind, he was primarily a violin player until a couple of short years ago. The apple didn't fall far from the tree, as his dad (Tim) is an amazing guitar player, as shown in this video, recorded at their home studio, which happens to be less than a mile from our shop!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xixTVn5mSfY

Meanwhile, on the RedLine A-5 front, I am struggling to come up with a pricing structure that works for our customers as well as our business. Here's our latest one, shown while the finish is curing. There are only so many dollars you can squeeze out of the expense of building an instrument. Natural edges (no binding) and a satin finish (no buffing) on this one, resulting in an even lower price for the buyer. It should be done in a couple of weeks. I'll post it on the MC Classifieds when it's done.

Name:	IMG_0630.JPG 
Views:	103 
Size:	148.5 KB 
ID:	156673

Quote Originally Posted by Steevarino View Post
    Meanwhile, on the RedLine A-5 front, I am struggling to come up with a pricing structure that works for our customers as well as our business. Here's our latest one, shown while the finish is curing. There are only so many dollars you can squeeze out of the expense of building an instrument. Natural edges (no binding) and a satin finish (no buffing) on this one, resulting in an even lower price for the buyer. It should be done in a couple of weeks. I'll post it on the MC Classifieds when it's done.

Looks nice! Steve, I've played 3 of your A5 mandolins and I am really surprised that they are only $2000 new. I was in Carter's last month and played every mandolin that they had for $5000 or less. The 2 that rose to the top were a Pava player for $2900 and a RedLine A5 for $1950. If, at the time, I had the money to buy, I would have bought the RedLine that day. To me, the sound and playability of the RedLine was as good as the Pava and even my Collings MT gloss, both of which are $1000 more. I'm guessing that the issue is that there just aren't enough folks who have had one in their hands, as compared to other mandolins, and it makes it hard to spend $2000 having never played one. I wish you the best in getting these out to more players, as I think they are really a gem in the $1500-$2000 range (used-new). I'm personally partial to the classic burst finish, but I know some folks love the more striking red and orange that you do too.

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

Birdland

Quote Originally Posted by Steevarino View Post
    FWIW, I think Myles is one of the most accomplished mandolin players I know of. If I could play RHB like that, I probably would! Keep in mind, he was primarily a violin player until a couple of short years ago. The apple didn't fall far from the tree, as his dad (Tim) is an amazing guitar player, as shown in this video, recorded at their home studio, which happens to be less than a mile from our shop!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xixTVn5mSfY

that sir is a fine looking mandolin in the making.
    with kevins recent post on his that's in the classifieds, I remembered when he first got it, then I remembered Myles, and I started looking around on youtube. I've enjoyed every video of them being played that I've found. I think they look stellar, sound as good as most anything out there, and price wise offer a big bang for the buck.
    I imagine the reason there are so few out and about being that you have a full on business doing bridges, repairs, and other instruments.
    I like this video of Kevin from a while back. to my ears that mandolin sounds well balanced, full, and just right.

23. The following members say thank you to darylcrisp for this post:

and one more

I agree with Franc. Great technique but unrecognizable as Red Haired Boy.