Thread: Northfield

Default Northfield

You folks playing the Northfields, what are your thoughts? Still feeling the love, any regrets or criticism? Folks that have been jamming with em, what are your thoughts? Much appreciated Lp.
    J.Lane Pryce

Blog Entries

Default Re: Northfield

I like mine a lot. Very different 'voicing' from my Ellis, and different again from a Fern, but excellent mid-range with loads of volume and projection. I have played a few different Northfield's and I liked every one of them. Simply, a very nice mandolin indeed.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

3. The following members say thank you to almeriastrings for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by almeriastrings View Post
    I like mine a lot. Very different 'voicing' from my Ellis, and different again from a Fern, but excellent mid-range with loads of volume and projection. I have played a few different Northfield's and I liked every one of them. Simply, a very nice mandolin indeed.
    Could you elaborate a bit on how your Big Mon differs in tone from the Ellis.
    I love the tone of an Ellis, and would love to own one.
    I will most likely get a Big Mon, as it is a more realistic goal at the moment.
    Mandolins: Northfield 5-Bar Artist Model "Old Dog", J Bovier F5 Special, Gibson A-00 (1940)
    Fiddles: 1920s Strad copy, 1930s Strad copy, Liu Xi T20, Liu Xi T19+ Dark.
    Guitars: Taylor 514c (1995), Gibson Southern Jumbo (1940s), Gibson L-48 (1940s), Les Paul Custom (1978), Fender Strat (Black/RWFB) (1984), Fender Strat (Candy Apple Red/MFB) (1985).
    Sitars: Hiren Roy KP (1980s), Naskar (1970s), Naskar (1960s).
    Misc: 8 Course Lute (L.K.Brown)

Love my F5S. I've had it for just over 2 years and I think it's just gorgeous.

OK - what do I love about it?

The satin finish on a gorgeous tobacco burst, makes it look old (note - old, not relic'd) like a well maintained old nitro-finished instrument that's at least 50 years old.

The sound is, to my ears, beautiful. It's got depth, warmth and timbre. Warm highs, strong mids and rich bass with great sustain for cross picking. Chunky, thuddy chop on the bass strings and the G and D courses have a real "pop" to them. Woody means different things to different people, but it sounds woody on the thicker strings.

When I bought mine, there were 4 Northfield F5S's in the shop, plus an A style master model. All 5 instruments were great, and each had their own individual character. I'd have been happy with any one of them, but mine really "spoke to me" with that rich, beefy tone. It wasn't the loudest of the bunch (an amber coloured one was an absolute banjo killer) but it had, for me, the best tone for my tastes.

Although I do play bluegrass on it, it's also used for country and for other styles of acoustic Americana and folk, so I wanted something with warmth, rather than all-out high mids and trebles.

What don't I like? Honestly, nothing of note. The satin finish can mark quite easily, much more so than a high gloss nitro, but it allows the instrument to "breathe" and the odd marks just add to the mojo. The TKL case mine came in was good, but I found it was too tight when I put my Tone Gard on the mandolin. Upgraded to a Hiscox and all is well. The Northfield Airloom cases look fantastic, so possibly worth considering if you're buying new.

Oh, and I love the radius on the fretboard and the larger frets, and the very comfortable neck.

I think that's about all. Hope this helps,

Johnny

6. The following members say thank you to Johnny60 for this post:

I really like my F5S. Great tone and playability (with lighter strings). Neck feels great. The sustain is great without giving up a nice chop.
    Craig Mandola
    Mann SEM-5

I've had my F5M (Master model) for 2 years now and still love it with no regrets. Mine has an Englemann top, I love that it's tone is very clear when picking single notes or full when strumming and it has a heck of a bluegrass chop when needed. All in all I feel its a great mando at a great price point, easily outperforming everything I have played in the $5-12k range and giving some of the spendy mandos a run for their money...(IMO).

When I take it to a jam, camp, or festival I get a few snobby snob looks/remarks but the overwhelming majority of people (pros included) admire its tone and playability.

I've only seen/played one of the newer Artist Series in person and it was a fantastic mandolin, the F5S is an even greater value if you can get one.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

The engleman top is nice. Is it available on all models? Lp
    J.Lane Pryce

Quote Originally Posted by Lane Pryce View Post
    The engleman top is nice. Is it available on all models? Lp
    It was an option when I ordered it, I also got the one piece back and a cocobolo fretboard. They aren't doing the Master Models anymore...I don't think...but that Artist Series is really nice! Give Peter Bagale a call, he's a great guy and willing to chat about all things mando...
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

I don't own one but have played two F5Ss while trading instruments at my local jam. One was good and another was better. They seemed on par (sound wise) with the Kentucky master models (in that some are ok and some better; I went through three Kentucky master models before finding a special/keeper km1000). The northfields felt like they were finished better than the kentuckys.

Quote Originally Posted by bigskygirl View Post
    They aren't doing the Master Models anymore...I don't think...
    The Northfield 'Big Mon' (nee Master Model) is certainly still available.

I myself am beyond happy with my standard NF5S. Totally impressed with the volume and 'zip' (to quote a prolific Cafe member) in the e-strings, which combined with the solid mid- and low-range has finally brought balance to the sound I've been hunting for a while.

C.
    Northfield F5S Amber #347 - 'Squeeze'
    Mann EM-5 Hollow Body - Gimme Moore
    Kentucky KM-270 - Not just for whisky
    Flatiron 1N Pancake - Not just for breakfast
    Epiphone Mandobird IV - Djangly
    Cozart 8-string e-mando - El Ch(e)apo
    Lanikai LB6-S Banjolele (tuned GDAE) - Plinky and the Brane

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny60 View Post

The sound is, to my ears, beautiful. It's got depth, warmth and timbre. Warm highs, strong mids and rich bass with great sustain for cross picking. Chunky, thuddy chop on the bass strings and the G and D courses have a real "pop" to them. Woody means different things to different people, but it sounds woody on the thicker strings.

Although I do play bluegrass on it, it's also used for country and for other styles of acoustic Americana and folk, so I wanted something with warmth, rather than all-out high mids and trebles.

Johnny
    This is interesting to people like me, who aren't bluegrass fans. I would certainly want an instrument that is about more than the 'chop', with warmth and tone depth and sustain to suit other styles of music. Thanks to Johnny for this info.

14. The following members say thank you to Ron McMillan for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CWRoyds View Post
    Could you elaborate a bit on how your Big Mon differs in tone from the Ellis.
    I love the tone of an Ellis, and would love to own one.
    Ellis: Very rich, what some call a more 'modern' voicing. Great low end but without sacrificing any treble clarity or definition. Loud enough to peel the paint off the wall if you push it, without breaking up. It can fill a room with sound. All-round incredible mandolin. Fit and finish are a vision of perfection. As good as it gets.

Northfield: Somewhat drier, more mid-range emphasis. Not as 'rich' (with fewer overtones) than the Ellis. Veering more in the 'traditional' voicing camp. Very good volume when driven hard. Nicely balanced. Fit and finish are very good, but not up to what you see with Ellis/Collings and certain others. Value is superb, as in performance terms it does match many $8-12K instruments....
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to almeriastrings For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by almeriastrings View Post
    Northfield: Somewhat drier, more mid-range emphasis. Not as 'rich' (with fewer overtones) than the Ellis. Veering more in the 'traditional' voicing camp. Very good volume when driven hard. Nicely balanced. Fit and finish are very good, but not up to what you see with Ellis/Collings and certain others. Value is superb, as in performance terms it does match many $8-12K instruments....
    I'm fairly certain I'll not be able to afford a Big Mon anytime soon, but the NF5S might be attainable. I bet there are others who would be interested to hear how big a difference there is between the two in terms of sound quality. Any thoughts to share on this?

rm

Blog Entries

The two NF5S's I've tried were both very good. They were very new, while mine has now had some playing time on it, but they were certainly "similar". In other words, they had a distinct "family resemblance", much as you find with Gibson, Ellis, Pava, Collings, or any other established line. Seem very consistent.
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

Yes, I fully concur with Almeria's comment on family resemblances.

All 5 Northfield's I tried on the day I bought mine had the same family DNA in the sound. Subtle differences, but they all had good bass, strong mids and sweet, clear trebles (not tinny, or ice-picky). They also all had one other thing - the sound balance (tone and volume) across the individual strings remains the same whether you're on the open strings or up at the 12th fret. As I mentioned earlier, all the Northfields I've played have had depth, warmth and resonance, plus articulation and clarity.

On the same day I also tried several Webers, and there seems to be a certain family voice dialled in there too.

It's the same with guitars - each individual instrument sounds subtly different, but there's a certain DNA in the sound of a Martin D28 vs a Martin D18 vs a Gibson vs a Taylor, etc.

I'm curious to hear thoughts from those who own, or have at least tried, the Model M A-style they're building in their Michigan workshop. From the few comments I've been able to find, people seem to like them. Just curious how they compare to the usual A-style benchmarks (Collings MT, Pava, Ellis, etc.).

21. The following members say thank you to wxfloyd for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by wxfloyd View Post
    I'm curious to hear thoughts from those who own, or have at least tried, the Model M A-style they're building in their Michigan workshop. From the few comments I've been able to find, people seem to like them. Just curious how they compare to the usual A-style benchmarks (Collings MT, Pava, Ellis, etc.).
    Me too!
    Thx

Hey guys, I used a Model M on my last project and I couldn't be happier. It has plenty of volume, but also has a deep round sound that records so well. Mine has the Englemann top which, to my ear, gives it a real versatility across multiple genres. The craftsmanship is incredible, and the neck shape is so lovely. Hope this helps! If you have any questions about them specifically, email me at atbuckner2121@live.com, I love to talk about mandos!
    TKD Falcon F5

24. The following members say thank you to atbuckner21 for this post:

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Just got a Red Line. Northfields are WAY too blingy for my taste, except for the new Model M, which is stripped-down and too cute to shoot. (I'd remove the pickguard. You'd have to be pretty OCD to worry about guarding your picks!)

So many mandos, so little money. . . .

I've been extremely happy with my Northfield Model M. Great action and tone, and for the price you get varnish, radius ebony fingerboard, Engelmann, pick guard, bone nut, and on and on. Sheesh, what's not to like? Really a sweet mandolin and fabulous for the price. NFI.

I've played two or three. Love the look of the white purfling instead of binding on the F5S headstock. My last visit to Gryphon I played one back to back with a Kentucky master built and mused if I would be willing to go the extra grand for a small but very perceptible tonal improvement. Maybe buy one used. It is certainly on my short list of relatively inexpensive F models.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1