Thread: Anyone have info on Darkwood Mandolins ?

Default Anyone have info on Darkwood Mandolins ?

I'm in the market for an electric mandolin and I came across Darkwood Mandolins on YouTube and was blown away. I have not been able to find out much information on the builder/company and I was curious if anyone had any insight.

Thanks !

Default Re: Anyone have info on Darkwood Mandolins ?

They have a presence of Facebook, I can't find any past reference to them on the Cafe. They don't appear to be in our builder's database.

https://www.facebook.com/DarkwoodStrings/
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

He looks to be a new builder. His YouTube videos really impressed me. He built an Antique Burst mandolin that just sounds great. I'm new to Mandolins and wanted an F style with a pickup. The Eastman 615MD looked to be my best entry level bet but I have contacted Jeff ( aka Darkwood Mandolins) and I might gamble on him. We all have to start somewhere.

Careful about being "blown away" by Youtube videos. Rarely have I found any mandolin that sounds bad on videos. Make sure he offers a trial period.

Yeah.....I know the Eastman is the safe bet. I'm going to feel this out though. The Mandolin Store is getting more 615MDs in this week so I have a few days to look around.

Zainesville......any decent mandolin shops in Columbus worth the drive from Cleveland?

Bluegrass Musicians Supply on high street is the only place worth visiting in Columbus. Not sure what they have in stock atm.

Thanks. It beats Cleveland. Only a few Rogue Mandolins hanging at GC or Sam Ash here. I'm not healthy enough to drive to Elderly Instruments but Columbus might be possible.

If you're looking to play it acoustically that Darkwood appears to be a solid bodied instrument that is shaped to look like an F5 shaped object.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

That was one of my concerns. I was not sure if it would project acoustically. I have a Fishman Loudbox but I'd like an acoustic/electric.

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    ... a solid bodied instrument ...
    With the highest frets going above, and the vibrating string largely beyond, the pickup, there can't be much sound up there. But in a solid-body way, it sure is pretty!

Edit: OTOH, maybe the Florida is just for grins. I see 29 frets, one more, if I recall correctly, than on a real Loar!
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Stompboxfreak72 View Post
    That was one of my concerns. I was not sure if it would project acoustically. I have a Fishman Loudbox but I'd like an acoustic/electric.
    That isn't going to project acoustically but it is interesting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	darkwood.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	80.1 KB 
ID:	156618  
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

12. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

I wish he had more than a FB page. There is no direct contact info so you can't just email or call. I have left a msg on FB and through an auction on eBay. I feel like I'm stalking the poor guy. Unless he can make an acoustic electric or unless his electric is dirt cheap I may have to go another route. I've decided to up my budget so that I can get a USA made F style acoustic electric. Back to the drawing board to see what else appeals to me out there. This certainly is fun but I want to get a quality instrument in my hands soon.

I emailed a reputable dealer with questions and the response I got was appalling.......asking for me credit card to hold an instrument I expressed interest in but by no means did I infer that I wanted to buy it. I emailed the store back and basically said stop being so eager to get my credit card and how about supply me with some information instead.

So the builder does not let you you send him messages on his FB and he has no email or phone listed. I was able to reach him via his EBay account. Unfortunately he responded to me but it was not an open line of communication and I am still unable to ask him questions about his Mandolins or to see if he will build one to order. He said he would give me dibs on one of his next builds but I was hoping to customize the build. With no open communication and no way of contacting a builder unless he reaches out I have to say that this business model is not what I had hoped for.

I wish he had more than a FB page. There is no direct contact info so you can't just email or call. I have left a msg on FB and through an auction on eBay. I feel like I'm stalking the poor guy. Unless he can make an acoustic electric or unless his electric is dirt cheap I may have to go another route. I've decided to up my budget so that I can get a USA made F style acoustic electric. Back to the drawing board to see what else appeals to me out there. This certainly is fun but I want to get a quality instrument in my hands soon.
    So the builder does not let you you send him messages on his FB and he has no email or phone listed. I was able to reach him via his EBay account. Unfortunately he responded to me but it was not an open line of communication and I am still unable to ask him questions about his Mandolins or to see if he will build one to order. He said he would give me dibs on one of his next builds but I was hoping to customize the build. With no open communication and no way of contacting a builder unless he reaches out I have to say that this business model is not what I had hoped for.
    That's odd about Facebook disallowing your message after you sent it.

It is quite possible that the builder isn't a good fit for what you're looking for, a builder who will jump on a custom order at a low price without charging a premium, instead of being a builder who charges a low price because he is doing exactly what he wants in his own timeframe.

I emailed a reputable dealer with questions and the response I got was appalling.......asking for me credit card to hold an instrument I expressed interest in but by no means did I infer that I wanted to buy it. I emailed the store back and basically said stop being so eager to get my credit card and how about supply me with some information instead.
    You mean you just asked a dealer a few questions about an instrument's specifications, with no mention of wanting the dealer to hold the instrument, and the dealer assumed you wanted a hold? That's odd. What questions did you ask, that the dealer made the unwarranted leap?
    ----

Playing a funky oval-hole scroll-body mandolin, several mandolins retuned to CGDA, three CGDA-tuned Flatiron mandolas, two Flatiron mandolas tuned as octave mandolins,and a six-course 25.5" scale CGDAEB-tuned Ovation Mandophone.

Love mandola?
    Join the Mandola Social Group!

Yeah I said I was looking at a particular model and asked about stock but went on to say that I was open to suggestions as I am new to this. The reply simply said that they would hold a model if I sent my credit card and got preapproved. I don't need preapproved.....I can afford way more mandolin than I need. It just rubbed me wrong that instead of indulging me in a discussion about mandolins the cat simply wanted my credit card. Their loss.

As far as Darkwood....builder is new and is building what he wants. He will eBay his creations and has left me with no hint that he wants to do a custom build. Again it's an unfortunate model but that is just the way it is.

I had no idea that buying a piece of wood with strings was going to be so involved. Custom builds take a long time and I'm not real excited about the Eastman, Kentucky and Loars of the world. This would be easier if there were any shops in my area. For now I'll just keep researching and playing bluegrass guitar.

I've denied custom builds as well because it adds the additional element of stress, which is not why I build mandolins. Custom orders put the builder in the position of trying to satisfy someone else. You've got their money, now you are at their service. So I assume Darkwood feels the same way.

18. The following members say thank you to fscotte for this post:

I can completely understand that. When I say it's unfortunate I mean it's unfortunate for me ! I love his electric mandolin and the builder has contacted me several times now and offered to let me know when one of his instruments is available. I was hoping he was doing custom builds but he is not. His electric mandolin sure looks tempting. I'll be following this builder for sure.

I grabbed up an electric mandolin he had for sale on Ebay just recently, it is a nice instrument but you won't be able to play it acoustically without amplification.

It really shines through a guitar amp with some effects/etc like an electric guitar, vast upgrade over the morgan monroe telecaster style electric mando I have even with upgraded pickups from almuse. Plugged into a fishman loudbox it gets a nice clean sound but I wouldn't necessarily say it sounds like an 'acoustic-electric'. It could pass for it in some scenarios but it's not going to fly if you are looking for an amplified bluegrassy sound. The build is very nice, there are some small imperfections as he mentions in the ad but they are minor and not anything you would notice without careful examination. The only nitpick I would have is that the fret edges aren't rounded off as much as I would normally like, but that is an easy fix.

Here is the link http://www.ebay.com/itm/F-Style-Elec...kAAOSw9YNZr08i

21. The following members say thank you to armyjordan for this post:

Pretty neat
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

I recently purchased a Darkwood mandolin which has a black walnut top and a curly/maple back. I could not be more pleased. These are meant to be played plugged in. They are only about about half the depth of an acoustic mandolin (may be even less than that) and have a small chamber and one can play it acoustically, but it's really only for practicing as they are not loud and one could not play an acoustic jam with it unplugged. This is great if you need to practice at low volumes, but it is designed to be played as an electric instrument. Build-wise and play-ability - mine is excellent and one of the best instruments I have ever played. The nut width was listed as 1 1/8, but the string spacing seemed to me about the same as my Breedlove which is 1 3/16. Also, I had no feedback issues with mine whatsoever, even when I was close to the amp and had to lean in to change knob settings for eq. It has a Magnetic/Piezo passive pickup system (No batteries required!) I did not run mine through any pre-amp, just straight into my amp and it sounded fine. I was told it came with hand leveled frets and hand cut solid bone nut, ALL solid wood construction (no veneers or laminates) with a completely hand rubbed finish. The neck has a satin finish which makes it easy to glide up and down on. The exotic Black Poisonwood (Chechen) fingerboard has a 13 7/8" scale length. I highly recommend this maker. I might be tempted to buy another, but I don't think I can put down the one I own already.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ngbzehkhngre3myk9288.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	276.3 KB 
ID:	166754Click image for larger version. 

Name:	egteraegzmwfxvb36fvr.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	114.7 KB 
ID:	166755Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kfraiv3pvqr4r5nl9fvt.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	214.7 KB 
ID:	166756Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s7g7hilcj8a7gsw5yx1t.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	154.0 KB 
ID:	166757

I've seen the Darkwood videos and I am certainly not impressed with the tone. Tinny and plinky. I have a ton of builders listed at Emando.com; some of them may even work with you to build what you ask for.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls