Thread: Custom armrest recommendations?

Default Custom armrest recommendations?

Anybody know the best maker to ask to do a custom mandolin armrest? I'm settling into playing my new Smart A5 and think that an armrest would feel nice on it. I've had one on my Kentucky KM-1000 for ages but got that one off the classifieds used. My first thought was the McClung armrest, but their website says they're not currently taking custom orders. The back of my Smart is a gorgeous piece of quilted maple in a fabulous shade of blond and thought that an armrest made to match would look great against the black finish on the top.
    ~David Chernack

2003 Lawrence Smart A5 #145
    2011 Kentucky KM-1000
    2010 Kentucky KM-150
    1961 Silvertone 3/4 octave mandolin conversion
    2015 Eastman E20D

Default Re: Custom armrest recommendations?

I would stay in touch with Doug at Hill Country String Works. He may not be taking custom orders now, but I am sure he will in the future. I have a McClung and AFAIAC they are the best.

Hi David,

How's the Smart? I recommend Dan Voight. I love the one I got from him. Here's a sample of some of his work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Voight.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	100.2 KB 
ID:	156549  
    Marc B.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dchernack View Post
    My first thought was the McClung armrest, but their website says they're not currently taking custom orders.
    Doug just posted a new ad in the classifieds on Wednesday: https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/110324#110324
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

+1 for Spencer Oliver. He made a custom armrest for me out of olive wood from Israel. A beautiful piece of wood and a very nice finished product. Spencer is just starting out so he is quick to respond and he is very good at sharing information.

As someone who just got a second McClung from Doug within the last couple of months, and the "No Custom Orders" statement has been up much longer, it is reasonable to assume he means that he is making only his 'standard' styles, which is still a wide variety.

He's great to work with so if there's a specific style you want that doesn't have a 'Buy Now' button next to it send him a message and ask when one might be available. You'll need to be patient but it's worth it. They are great armrests.

C.
    Northfield F5S Amber #347 - 'Squeeze'
    Mann EM-5 Hollow Body - Gimme Moore
    Kentucky KM-270 - Not just for whisky
    Flatiron 1N Pancake - Not just for breakfast
    Epiphone Mandobird IV - Djangly
    Cozart 8-string e-mando - El Ch(e)apo
    Lanikai LB6-S Banjolele (tuned GDAE) - Plinky and the Brane

Blog Entries

Another vote for Spencer -- he made me a custom one from his first batch and I love it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	490.4 KB 
ID:	156559

I'll back up Doug and his McClung armrests. Its extremely comfortable and at the perfect angle, for me at least. I have the standard ebony one and really like it.

I love using the Weber tailpiece armrest combo. Bruce Weber might be selling them through Montana Luthier currently. By far the best look and feel in my opinion. Not the best string change ergonomic, but it is a superior rest.
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

I'd go with Doug or Spencer Oliver, I'm happy with armrests from both of those guys. Downside for Doug's is you'll probably have to settle for his standard fare; you could always ask him. Spencer is definitely up for custom work, I have one from him that has a scroll carved at one end. Personally, I'm not a fan of his wood burning work, but the armrests are great.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Yea, I know a guy....

Thanks guys
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 Hand Crafted Pancake

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

I'm a fan of Doug's McClung (as you can see from my signature) but he is on the road some now that he's enjoying retirement. I think that is why his armrests are in shorter supply these days. If you want custom work, Spencer's look to be well regarded.

Doug is a down to earth, good guy with whom to correspond. He is rapidly moving into retirement though, and a word of caution if you need something custom, I have an order with him placed in November of last year, and he still, honestly, can't give me a date that I can expect anything. He's an upfront guy, with whom I have no beef. I understood going in that I couldn't expect anything in a short timeframe... after all, he is retiring for peat's sake ! I am sure a lot of us folks around here are envious ! I wish him all the best, but we are losing a really good craftsman, who produced some wonderful products that will outlive us all.
    John D

The hardware is for a Viola chinrest , for the DIY approach..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I got a McClung a while back and noticed he's in retirement, so I just ordered one of his standard ebony models. It is very comfortable, matches my ebony CA bridge, and is a nice step up from the ebony CA armrest I had. Maybe if you sent Doug a photo of the wood on the back of your mandolin, he might be able to accommodate you. He might have one already that could match, or he might have some suitable wood lying around that he could make a batch from eventually. The latter may require patience, but I'd say it would be worth it. No harm in asking I suppose?

(Or as others have said, go with Soliver, as he's making some really nice armrests)
    Paul Shippey Tone Mandolin
    Paul Hathway Octave Mandola
    Montana Lutherie Ranger Mandolin
    Yamaha Stage Custom Drum Kit

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

@dchernack, I have a couple of pieces in the works that might fit what you're looking for... sent you a PM.
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 Hand Crafted Pancake

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

Yes, I am moving towards retirement. The wife has us going quite a bit, so shop time is limited. I usually have new stuff working, so if you catch me at the right time I could do a certain color. Requests for inlays are pretty much doable if I have a precut one to use.
    I have a college student to help out with the sanding that just kills my shoulders. Some folks have been more than patient with wait times, particularly those with custom shapes.
    I'm not ready to give it up but it bothers me to not move as quickly as I'd like. It also turns out I'm a terrible record keeper. I seem to loose stuff all the time. So if you've not heard back in a while please touch base with me. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kalasinar View Post
    I got a McClung a while back and noticed he's in retirement, so I just ordered one of his standard ebony models. It is very comfortable, matches my ebony CA bridge, and is a nice step up from the ebony CA armrest I had. Maybe if you sent Doug a photo of the wood on the back of your mandolin, he might be able to accommodate you. He might have one already that could match, or he might have some suitable wood lying around that he could make a batch from eventually. The latter may require patience, but I'd say it would be worth it. No harm in asking I suppose?

(Or as others have said, go with Soliver, as he's making some really nice armrests)

Noob question:
    McClung vs. CA armrests. Pros and cons? Or which has advantage and why? Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Uke Richard View Post
    Noob question:
    McClung vs. CA armrests. Pros and cons? Or which has advantage and why? Thank you.
    It was mainly down to personal preference. Both armrests are well made and serve their intended purpose. The CA was my first foray into armrests. I was buying a CA bridge at the time and I liked the armrest because it had a relatively small presence on the mandolin (I didn't want a big armrest). After a while I found myself wanting a bit more elevation where my arm was resting. I got the McClung because it is elevated higher than the CA and has an angle to it which adds a little extra comfort. It is a larger armrest overall but not too big to spoil the visual effect of the mandolin for me. I don't know why, I'm just not fond of overly large 'accessories' for the mandolin...that's just a personal thing.

Both are really nice armrests no doubt about it. When a friend of mine visited me, he really liked the CA. Steve and Doug do really fine work. Here's some photos I took of them side by side for comparison:

Name:	IMG_4989.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	636.2 KB 
ID:	156639

Name:	IMG_4988.jpg 
Views:	662 
Size:	702.9 KB 
ID:	156640
    Last edited by Kalasinar; May-01-2017 at 3:20am.
    Paul Shippey Tone Mandolin
    Paul Hathway Octave Mandola
    Montana Lutherie Ranger Mandolin
    Yamaha Stage Custom Drum Kit

Thank you, Kalasinar.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalasinar View Post
    It was mainly down to personal preference. Both armrests are well made and serve their intended purpose. The CA was my first foray into armrests. I was buying a CA bridge at the time and I liked the armrest because it had a relatively small presence on the mandolin (I didn't want a big armrest). After a while I found myself wanting a bit more elevation where my arm was resting. I got the McClung because it is elevated higher than the CA and has an angle to it which adds a little extra comfort. It is a larger armrest overall but not too big to spoil the visual effect of the mandolin for me. I don't know why, I'm just not fond of overly large 'accessories' for the mandolin...that's just a personal thing.

Both are really nice armrests no doubt about it. When a friend of mine visited me, he really liked the CA. Steve and Doug do really fine work. Here's some photos I took of them side by side for comparison:

Name:	IMG_4989.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	636.2 KB 
ID:	156639

Name:	IMG_4988.jpg 
Views:	662 
Size:	702.9 KB 
ID:	156640