Thread: I've seen (played) the light!

Default I've seen (played) the light!

I have been struggling with tendonitis in my left hand/arm. Despite moving to D'Addario EFW74s and lowering the action as far as it would go without removing wood, I was still getting a lot of discomfort and was playing the 4 string electric most of the time, leaving my sweet Northfield feeling neglected...

But I wanted to find a solution that would let me play the Northfield comfortably since i want to use it in the upcoming swing class. So I finally bit the $48 bullet and got a set of Thomastik Infeld lights. Oh my goodness! These things are amazing. I just played an hour with no pain. The tone is lovely and dark. The feel delightful under the fingers.
    Craig Mandola
    Mann SEM-5

2. The following members say thank you to guidoStow for this post:

Default Re: I've seen (played) the light!

I saw the light around 1990. No finer strings.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hildreth View Post
    No finer strings.
    Amen, Brother. Thomastiks are all I use on any of my instruments, any more. They may not be for everybody, but they sure are for me.
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Clark View Post
    Amen, Brother. Thomastiks are all I use on any of my instruments, any more. They may not be for everybody, but they sure are for me.
    Same with the guitar strings, not for everybody, but what a wonderful feeling of quality on your fingers and (especially for electric guitar) totally changes the tonal palette.

Kinda like wearing $30 shoes for 30 years and finally getting a pair of $150 shoes -- Oh my, these sure are nice.............

I believe that on mandolins that 'suit them',Thomastik strings are really excellent - but they do need to 'suit' the instrument. A friend of mine owns a superb Heiden "A" style, & even the heaviest Thomastik strings didn't 'drive' it very well. It was distinctly 'quiet' & lacked any semblance of it's potential tone. He changed to J74's (now EJ74's) & it improved greatly,he then tried DR MD11 strings & it was even better.

I only mention this because i suffer from Tendonitis in both hands. In the morning my hands ache. As part of my morning ablutions,i do the excercise that i was given by my Physio. when i was recovering from a Trigger finger op. - soak your hands in water as hot as is comfortable as well as a face cloth for a few minutes,then take the face cloth & wring the living daylights out of it a half dozen times. The tension & then relaxation really works to free the stiffness up & for me,it lasts for hours.

I use DR MD11 string so 2 mandolins & GHS A270's on my Ellis. On my Lebeda & Weber,my action is also on the high side,which i prefer. To my mind,at least 'for me',that gives my left hand a good work out & up to now,i haven't had any pain afterwards. The pain i get is after hours of sleep,where my hands & tendons have more or less been immobile.

So even using 'standard' gauge strings,Tendonitis can be ''liveable with'' - however,i do think that our wonderful hobby of playing an instrument has a lot to do with getting 'T' in the first place,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

7. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

Sounds like mine is a bit different. My pain is more in the forearm from the elbow towards the hand for about 5-6 inches. There is a lot of extensor activity in that area but I get flexor pain there. I stretch a lot, do a lot of grip strengthening work and sometimes use a tennis elbow band... Ah the joys of getting the body to do new things...
    Craig Mandola
    Mann SEM-5

9. The following members say thank you to guidoStow for this post:

From Guido - "Ah the joys of getting the body to do new things... " At 72 years of age - i'll pass on that !. In the past 3 weeks,i've assembled 4 flat-packs of furniture as part of a spare room re-furbishing project. I spent hours on my knees on the floor, & it was sheer hell on my back,knees & toes. Screwing in dozens of screws didn't do my right hand any good at all - elec.screwdriver coming up very shortly ,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

11. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

I hear you! I'm going to be 59 in two weeks and my knees ache just reading that...
    Craig Mandola
    Mann SEM-5