Thread: Jointing Mandolin and Archtop wedges

Default Jointing Mandolin and Archtop wedges

I've been reading many of the posts on the "Builders" thread, now on page 309 and came across this one about jointing

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...-jointer/page2

My question, which I perhaps missed in the first 308 pages is, how do you joint, either by hand plane or jointer, two plates which are already wedge shaped? Some type of spacer b/w them, which would require some trial and error for each set of plates to get the edges to 90?

Thx

Jon

Default Re: Jointing Mandolin and Archtop wedges

Presumably one surface of the wedge is flat, and has the grain perpendicular to it. Pretty straight ahead, unless I'm missing .

But if the wood was split, and you don't have a flat surface, you'll have to face one surface to get there.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

I'm not sure I fully understand what you are asking, but there are lots of ways to establish a 90 degree angle.
    If using a jointer, I determine my book match and establish one flat surface on each piece accordingly (as Bill suggests), then register that surface against the jointer fence. A well set-up jointer, used properly, will then produce edges 90 degrees to those two flat surfaces.
    Using a hand plane it's about the same procedure. Establish a flat surface on each piece then plane an edge 90 degrees to that surface. I do that either by "shooting" or by simply planing the edge and checking with a machinists square.

Jon,

There is an older school way of jointing plates with a hand plane:

First, I remove the extra material of the wedge by ripping on the tablesaw, leaving about a 3/4" thickess.

Then, clamp the two plates together with the face side out. In the case of wedges, I put the resawn surface in and the wedge surface out (these are archtop guitar plates):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Top - Jointing.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	925.1 KB 
ID:	156527

I plane the edge with a Stanley #6 set for a very light cut. It takes a little practice to have a nice even stroke and follow through to keep the joint true. The reason this works well is that even if you are a little off of 90 degrees to the face, the errors cancel when the plates are met. You check the joint in the usual way - "candle" by holding together in front of a light and look for gaps.

Once satisfied, I have a simple platform made from framing lumber to support for clamping:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Top - Glue Up 1.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	827.1 KB 
ID:	156528

I do the back plates the same way. I have done this for many years building furniture and it works really well for me. I really like the shooting board concept, and if I was working wth thin resawn flattop instrument plates I would definately construct one.

The Stanley #6 plane was inherited from my Grandpa and definately in "user" condition. Gives me a smile every time I use it.

[edit] just looked at Jon's link in the original post. Descriptions of the same process I show above. I feel even better about it now
    //mike
    Last edited by Mike Conner; Apr-27-2017 at 3:30pm.

Thanks for the helpful replies. I am referring to wedges but seems like I can find a 90 on my jointer as John notes, as long as I don't take too much off since wedges aren't too oversized. Once there I'll likely hand plane to final if I don't get there just on the jointer.

Best to all.

That what I usually do; square them up on the jointer and refine the joint with a plane (#7).