Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where's the mojo?

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Default Re: Where's the mojo?

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_al View Post
    I'd check out that Weber. You may want to see if you can play one like it near you to make sure it is comfortable to you.

If I were in the market right now for an A5 I'd go for a Northfield model M or a Redline A5
    http://www.northfieldinstruments.com/model-m-available

https://reverb.com/item/4700388-redl...olin-with-case
    https://reverb.com/item/3440342-red-line-a5-mandolin
    Thanks for the links! I just checked 'em out, and you're right, there are some possibilities there.

Maine is kind of a mando desert. There are plenty of Kentuckys and Ibanezes to test drive, but not much in the carved-top, solid-wood, or born-in-the-USA departments.

Had the same problem buying a squareneck reso.
    Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; Apr-27-2017 at 6:38am.

The "Mojo" comes from within Grasshopper...

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frankdolin For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Where's the nearest dealer with a good inventory of mandolins?
    Yup, I know. You're absolutely right, but Boston is a hellacious four hours away. The money I spend on travel draws down on money for a mando. And playing the mandos there won't be the same as playing what I find online, anyway.

So though I hate online shopping, I'm pretty much stuck with it.

5. The following members say thank you to Charlie Bernstein for this post:

I agree with mojo is in the eye of the beholder.
    And, that you will not take the ONE step and forever be satisfied.

Be patient.
    Play a lot of mandos.
    Practice.
    And.......be prepared to spend much more than you really want to.
    You may not need to, but, if the Siren sings to you, hear her.

I bought an 02 fern, thinking it my last. Better instrument than i am a player. Lovely fine gibson.
    Then a Rigel A+, for plugging in and festival fields, which i love for its curves and superb playability.
    Then a brentrup and an ellis.

This is like single malt, art, wines, tools, coats.
    As your ear and technique develops, you will hear and appreciate nuances you may not now.
    And, playing in a group, and different genres may change your choices.

I thought i had a good ear, being attuned to guitars. It changed after five years with my fern.
    Btw, i love each mando i have. The brent, has the most mojo to me. 2009, yet feels like something from the twenties, and speaks to my mando soul.

Charlie, if you can, and find the one, and know that you love playing mandolin, go big if you can.
    Over a few years, the initial outlay, even if thrice your intention, will be well spent, and returned to you every day.

If you shop on line, read the forums for thought, research prices, and get a trial period with the option of a call tag, so you only eat shipping if you dont like the mando. Call and have a checklist for an in hand description , such as set up, cracks, finish, neck, nut , tuners, all original, repairs, top, bridge, etc etc.

7. The following members say thank you to stevedenver for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by stevedenver View Post
    I agree with mojo is in the eye of the beholder.
    And, that you will not take the ONE step and forever be satisfied.

Be patient.
    Play a lot of mandos.
    Practice.
    And.......be prepared to spend much more than you really want to.
    You may not need to, but, if the Siren sings to you, hear her.

I bought an 02 fern, thinking it my last. Better instrument than i am a player. Lovely fine gibson.
    Then a Rigel A+, for plugging in and festival fields, which i love for its curves and superb playability.
    Then a brentrup and an ellis.

This is like single malt, art, wines, tools, coats.
    As your ear and technique develops, you will hear and appreciate nuances you may not now.
    And, playing in a group, and different genres may change your choices.

I thought i had a good ear, being attuned to guitars. It changed after five years with my fern.
    Btw, i love each mando i have. The brent, has the most mojo to me. 2009, yet feels like something from the twenties, and speaks to my mando soul.

Charlie, if you can, and find the one, and know that you love playing mandolin, go big if you can. Funny you should say that. I was just saying to my wife that I might just save a little more money for a while and get something at the end of the year.

Over a few years, the initial outlay, even if thrice your intention, will be well spent, and returned to you every day.

If you shop on line, read the forums for thought, research prices, and get a trial period with the option of a call tag, so you only eat shipping if you dont like the mando. Call and have a checklist for an in hand description , such as set up, cracks, finish, neck, nut , tuners, all original, repairs, top, bridge, etc etc. Good advice!
    Like you, I'm really just a guitar guy. Mostly acoustic folk and electric blues. Not even a musician, just a guit picker and song writer. So for me, a mando is just a little guitar. (Vesus a uke, which is a big joke.) Not very into bling. Mainly just into sound, projection, and feel.

Just took up squareneck reso. Bought that online. Got a good one, and I like it, and I'm just starting to get some truly cool sounds out of it. But it's probably not the one I'd have gotten if I'd been able to shop around in person.

Oh, well. I like living in northern New England, but this is one of the disadvantages.

9. The following members say thank you to Charlie Bernstein for this post:

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

You know Uke jokes?

11. The following members say thank you to BrianWilliam for this post:

I'd make an offer on this RedLine A5
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/110335#110335
    Seller is asking $1400. Bet you could get it for $1350. These sell new for $2000-$2200.
    Hand made in USA by Steve Smith of Cumberland Acoustic near Nashville. These are awesome mandolins. Only about 15 RedLine A5 mandolins made so far, but Steve has made hundreds of flat top Army/Navy mandolins and as many guitars. His mandolin bridges are sought after and the workmanship of his instruments is just as good.
    If I were in your shoes, this would be the one.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	110335.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	156516

13. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
    Yup, I know. You're absolutely right, but Boston is a hellacious four hours away. The money I spend on travel draws down on money for a mando. And playing the mandos there won't be the same as playing what I find online, anyway.

So though I hate online shopping, I'm pretty much stuck with it.
    Four hours? For something you plan to keep for the rest of your life? I have driven four hours just to play at a festival or jam with friends. I am being serious.

While doing it I think back to the likes of Charlie Poole and that generation of early country music folks, driving to small towns and cities all over the country to play music. And I am glad I wasn't riding with Charlie.

Make a day of it, spend the night if you have friends or family out there, or considering, one night in a motel is part of the cost of the mandolin.

In my life I have driven a whole lot longer for a whole lot less.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Like you, I'm really just a guitar guy. Mostly acoustic folk and electric blues. Not even a musician, just a guit picker and song writer. So for me, a mando is just a little guitar. (Vesus a uke, which is a big joke.)

If you put your heart into it a little more you could irritate/alienate 100% of this forum....

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mandobart For This Useful Post:

To some folks the search for the Holy Grail of Mojo may only be found in a $20,000 Gilchrist. But if four hours driving cuts into your funds to buy...then you may be painting yourself into a corner where Mojo is never attainable. If its all about making you happy then the Gallatin will probably do that for you (my Gallatin keeps me happy - but its an illness and I do want more!).

18. The following members say thank you to Al Trujillo for this post:

You put the Mojo in to get much of it back out, again..

Muddy Waters had his Mojo Workin' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuwbKakPRRI

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Got_My_Mojo_Working

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

20. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

I second that you need to make the trip to a well-stocked store and get your hands on a bunch of mandolins and see what you like. I think the quality/lack of it will become obvious as soon as you compare a few in person. Looking at pictures online, reading reviews, etc., even buying online is great once you know what is what, IMHO. Good luck with your search.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Mando For This Useful Post:

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

I think the A5 mandolin the most versatile of the bunch.

I don't like the hybrid oval hole mandolins. If you want an oval hole, get the Gibson!

I could live just fine with my Flatiron 1N or my Gibson A3. I'm mostly focused on Celtic, old-time and Baroque music, so, not much Bluegrass.

I'd think if Thile can do it all on his Loar (a 15-fret, f-hole mandolin), you can too! I'd go find a Collings MT or look at the A5s from Eastman or, "The Loar."

I love my Cohen and my Muth though, but you have to wait for builders!

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

24. The following members say thank you to fatt-dad for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    You put the Mojo in to get much of it back out, again..
    Well put.

Charlie, as you may have already gleaned, every instrument has its acolytes. To the world of electric guitars and American blues forms, ukes may be viewed as non-serious instruments - particularly if all you've experienced of them derives from the image of Tiny Tim, or period 'schmaltzy' music from your G'parents' time. SAme thing with accordians - which have gained a dubious distinction (in the US) largely by the public image promulgated by Lawrence Welk, polka music, etc. But ukes around the world have cultural meaning and serious application. To say nothing of mandolins.

Naturally, coming from guitar you'll approach another fretted stringed instrument with your guitar knowledge. What's especially great about seeking something new here is - when you start studying on the mandolin, the instrument and its technical vernacular will start to become more evident to you.

26. The following members say thank you to catmandu2 for this post:

If you're interested in Weber, a good buy just popped up in the classifieds:
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/110337#110337
    Used Weber Gallatin F with a bit of finger wear on the treble side for $1700 from a good shop, Morgan Music in Lebanon, MO. Has K&K pickup installed.

Name:	110337.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	156522

28. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Four hours? For something you plan to keep for the rest of your life? I have driven four hours just to play at a festival or jam with friends. I am being serious.

While doing it I think back to the likes of Charlie Poole and that generation of early country music folks, driving to small towns and cities all over the country to play music. And I am glad I wasn't riding with Charlie.

Make a day of it, spend the night if you have friends or family out there, or considering, one night in a motel is part of the cost of the mandolin.

In my life I have driven a whole lot longer for a whole lot less.
    Me, too. But now that we're a one-car family and I'm retired and on a fixed income, I don't travel much farther than the bathroom anymore.
    Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; Apr-27-2017 at 11:42am.

If you're interested in Weber, a good buy just popped up in the classifieds:
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/110337#110337
    Used Weber Gallatin F with a bit of finger wear on the treble side for $1700 from a good shop, Morgan Music in Lebanon, MO. Has K&K pickup installed.

Name:	110337.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	156522
    Nice! I'll see if they have any A-styles.

Nice! I'll see if they have any A-styles.
    If you're looking for an A, I'd go with the one you found in the classifieds. This one is likely not much different, besides the scroll.

32. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by catmandu2 View Post
    . . . To the world of electric guitars and American blues forms, ukes may be viewed as non-serious instruments - particularly if all you've experienced of them derives from the image of Tiny Tim, or period 'schmaltzy' music from your G'parents' time. SAme thing with accordians - which have gained a dubious distinction (in the US) largely by the public image promulgated by Lawrence Welk, polka music, etc. But ukes around the world have cultural meaning and serious application. To say nothing of mandolins. . . .
    I like ukes. It was a uke joke. I even have a friend who opened for Tiny Tim. Here's a banjo joke guaranteed to offend every five-stringer you know:

- How many banjo players does it take to eat a possum?

- Three. One to eat the possum and two to direct traffic.

And my favorite viola joke:

- What's the difference between a viola player and a seamstress?

- A seamstress tucks up the frills.

I'll be here all week.

If you're looking for an A, I'd go with the one you found in the classifieds. This one is likely not much different, besides the scroll.
    Yeah, I'm weighing that against the Redline against waiting until the end of the year when I have more money saved.

But frankly, I'm not sure I want to spend more. How do you think A-style Redlines and Gallatins compare?

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post

If you put your heart into it a little more you could irritate/alienate 100% of this forum....
    Beat me to it
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by fatt-dad View Post
    I think the A5 mandolin the most versatile of the bunch. . . .
    Thanks. I needed that! Narrows things down considerably.

37. The following members say thank you to Charlie Bernstein for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by CES View Post
    Beat me to it
    Just doing what I do best!

Mandos rock. I'm hooked. I was just throwing in some guitar-centricity.

In plainer English, I know I'll never be a real hot mando player like a lot of the Cafe crew here. So I just want something that truly sounds good, plays well, and has that good ol' US of A provenance. My first was none-of-the-above, my second is maybe one-point-five-out-of-three.

I want three to be the charm. So I'm asking the impossible: opinions on what I should go for. (Besides broke!)

The Weber Gallatin and the Redline A5 seem to be the front-runners. The Redline isn't as clean and doesn't have a pickup. Are Relines more appreciated in these parts?
    Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; Apr-27-2017 at 12:54pm.

Do you have a preference for radius vs. flat fretboards? If you lean towards radius ones then you might want to rule out those second hand Gibson's from your list. Unless you get an exceptional old Gibson A-50 you might be disappointed in the sound/playability and you might also find yourself having difficulty moving it along if you decide it's not doing it for you. As a longtime guitar player who'd owned a lot of vintage Gibson guitars over the years my first foray into mandolin owning was an old Gibson A-50. It was pretty underwhelming and I sold it shortly afterwards to get a Flatiron 2M Pancake which played and sounded far better.

I'd be leaning towards the Gallatin A, but I'm biased as I had a Gallatin that I sold years ago and still bitterly regret to this day. It was a nice straightforward workhorse of a mandolin that was a joy to play, never should've let it go!
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

40. The following members say thank you to Jill McAuley for this post:

Im with jill. Old mandos are cool, smell cool ,look cool, but, dont always sound great or play so well. (My first mando was a '35 A50, gorgeous, tough to play, mediocre sound-nothing sweet about its tone).

Some are great. Others not so much, especially up the neck.

And as for the
    'tiny guitar." ........i have gotten this and other WTF is that thing quite often. Especially with a F.

I only wish this were true for ubiquitous ukes.
    They are everywhere, like some "instrument lite"...and,

expecting to offend somebody, other than for mind blowing Jake, i cant stand them. Most are played, strummed on the beat, every beat, as per Mr. Tim.

Better with verb and distortion,...........but only because they sound less uke.

Bring it on..........LOL.

42. The following members say thank you to stevedenver for this post: