Thread: Strings for a beginner

Default Strings for a beginner

Hi.

I'm new to both the forum and the mandolin. I've been playing Uke for a while and wanted a new instrument. Chose the mandolin because of the violin style tuning (I used to play).

I've bought a low cost one to start with and obviously it won't have come with the best strings. I'm happy to buy a fit new strings, my question is this:

What are the best new strings for a beginner - in particular I would like ones that are slightly less painful than the ones fitted. I'm really feeling the pain! At this point I'm not too concerned if the strings give less volume (my neighbours probably wouldn't mind that either!) I'm just looking for something easier on the fingers while I sit there practicing chords over and over again....

Default Re: Strings for a beginner

A lot of us use medium gauge strings. For a beginner you may want to begin with a light gauge until you build up your callouses. Most any brand will do for a first shot. Good luck and have fun.

It sounds like more than just new strings, your mandolin needs to be properly setup.
    What did you buy and where are you located?
    If you're reasonably handy, you can do the setup yourself. If not, you can have it setup by a good local shop.
    You can contact Rob Meldrum to get a good setup eBook:
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...by-Rob-Meldrum

The standard go-to strings for mandolin to start are D'addario EJ74

+1 on setup. Setup is more important than string gauge or brand. A good setup will play easy with most any string, tho a lighter gauge usually requires a higher action as they move more than a heavier gauge. I use 11-42 and have a very easy playing mandolin.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

+1) Uke fingers not toughened.. Go light.. 10-36 ..

brands? get what's convenient to find,

most like bronze wound D & G in the set.

Set up is important, buy from a shop that does that , before the sale.

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

6. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

In my experience, there is really not much difference in fingertip pain among the gauges of mandolin strings (light, medium, heavy) when you are just beginning. You simply need to keep playing until you develop some calluses to protect your fingertips. Yes, lighter strings are slightly easier to depress (less downbearing force), but they also require a slightly higher action (more distance) than medium gauge, and these effects tend to cancel out, so that your fingertip performs nearly the same amount of work (force times distance) while fretting. The net result is that the fingertip pain is only very slightly alleviated with light gauge strings, if at all. IMO, there is no reason not to start with the type of strings most appropriate for your mandolin. Light gauge strings work better on most bowlbacks and some flat-tops; medium and heavy gauge strings are more appropriate for carved-top A- and F-models. What kind of mandolin do you have?

To minimize fretting pain, you need to have your mandolin's action set as low as it can reasonably go without buzzing and other problems, irrespective of the string gauge. That means getting a good setup! This is the best advice you can possibly follow. Most beginner mandolins are not set up optimally when you get them. They typically require work on the bridge and nut heights, and possibly some leveling of the frets or tweaking of the truss rod, as well. Get this work done by a professional before you wreck your fingers; you won't regret it.

Other than that, play play play and the pain will go away away away.

A good set-up is first and foremost what will help your fingers. Whatever strings you use concentrate on noting just enough to seat the string on the fret. You don't want to get into a habit of pressing harder on the string than is needed. Light strings may be easier if you play softer, but as said in other posts if you try to play very loud they will have to be higher so it's probably a wash.
    Three important things to make a mandolin play easy set-up, set-up, and set-up.

The cheaper the mandolin, the worse the setup usually is. More beginners are thwarted by poor action than anything.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

I'll just join the dogpile and say that you need a setup, first and foremost. And I agree that using light gauge strings to start off is not going to do much for you. The mandolin is going to require building calluses, there's no getting around it. Going through the painful process of toughening those fingertips is just part of learning to play the mandolin, and trying to take the easy route can have negative consequences down the road. As you are building your calluses, you are also learning how to control finger movements and pressure. This will, over time, get locked in to your playing style. If you're starting off with light strings, it will require readjustment later when you decide to move up to medium strings, and your playing will suffer for a while as you adjust. Plus, your fingertips will have to go through a second stage of toughening. Why not just learn from the get-go on the strings you will end up using later on? Light strings are not really going to save you from pain during the learning process anyway.
    Keep that skillet good and greasy all the time!

Thanks for all of the advice!

I've received a copy of the setup book via email and have made some adjustments. I've also ordered a set of EJ74's. They should be arriving today!

Couple of suggestions: always buy either multiple sets of strings, or extra A and E strings, because theyre going to break sometimes and you want to have spares that match the gauges you are using.

I would say go with the lights but as others have noted the overall setup is the main thing and theres nothing wrong with those 74s.

If you tweak the setup and still find the regular strings uncomfortable, you might try flatwound strings (available from strings and beyond or elderly). Very habit-forming tho pricier than the Regular round-wounds.

I have a luthier who you would have to twist his arm in order to get a setup without fret leveling. I believe he is right. I've learned how to do this myself, and after taking a hump out of both the frets of guitars and mandolins, I've proven this to myself. I've noticed a tonal improvement too. Hard to spend that kind of money on a cheaper instrument. Once you get to Eastman and solid Kentuckys, it's less of an issue.

For certain a good setup is far more important on a mandolin than a guitar.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1