Thread: BU review of my new CD

Default BU review of my new CD

My second CD received a very positive review in Bluegrass Unlimited. Here is the review, unedited:
    Tony Huber and Friends
    “Beartracks: Friends”
    Tresbear Music 002
    Presenting an album of all original instrumental tunes tests the capabilities of a performer, arguably, more than any other type of recording. Faced with such a prospect, most performers choose to include one or a couple of known tunes, if for no other reason than to give the listener a couple of footholds.
    With his second release, mandolinist and tune-writer Tony Huber is going all in, writing all 13 tunes here, betting on his own creativity. For the most part, he succeeds. Backed in different configurations by Gretchen Priest-Mayon fiddle, Stan Lawrence on guitar and mandolin, David Boisvert on woodwinds and pennywhistle, Stuart Bonnington on banjo and Bob Nobles on bass and guitar, the tunes he has written have a light, lyrical appeal. While you don’t necessarily find yourself whistling them hours later, they are pleasant to here and he draws on several musical styles. Several, including “River Waltz,” “Piney River”, and Galway Coast are Irish in sound and presentation, colored by Boisvert’s pennywhistle for added effect. Old-time and bluegrass are represented by the stately tunes “Just in Time”, “Beaux’s Grin” and “Random Thougbt(s).” (sic), while a touch of Cajun creeps into “Nathalie’s Stuff.”
    A step above those is “Hungarian Caravan,” a gypsy-style tune with a slight Klezmer feel from Boisvert’s clarinet. Better still is “Marching With a Smile.” The title says it all. Big old parade drums (bass and snare) give this a lively kick and you can’t help but smile. That would be the album’s highlight were it not for the medieval sounding “Village Fete.” Paired down to mandolin, fiddle and horns, it’s hard not to be drawn in by its mysterious sound.
    Where it falls short is that the temps are too similar. A couple of faster songs would have helped.
    BW
    Here is BU's link:
    http://bluegrassmusic.com/content/
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

2. The following members say thank you to red7flag for this post:

Default Re: BU review of my new CD

I just want to say how grateful I am for all the people who made this CD possible. Two not mentioned in the review were Adam Allsbrooks, recording engineer and Ray Dryden, head engineer. These guys are awesome.
    What an amazing feeling to have a work recognized by our peers. I am humbled.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

4. The following members say thank you to red7flag for this post:

===========

Default Re: BU review of my new CD

Congratulations, you should be very proud . . . keep up the good work.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeZito For This Useful Post: