Thread: Centering mandolin on body vs centering its weight

Default Centering mandolin on body vs centering its weight

I'm trying to figure out how best to attach my strap to my mandolin. One end goes on the strap peg, I figured that much out! The other end I have always attached by running a string under the mandolin's strings down by the nut. This nicely balances the weight of the mandolin. No complaints when I play sitting down and also use my legs to keep it in place (as in the Mike Marshall video). But when I stand and lose that leg support, the mandolin swings to my right and I have to try to push it back while I play. So I tried attaching it just under the fretboard extension (the way Baron Collins-Hill does it). Now it's nicely centered on my body when I stand, but the weight of the headstock isn't as supported so the headstock wants to drop, and I have to lift it with my left hand. Either way my hands and arms aren't as free as they should be and are sitting down. Does this happen to anyone else? Any solutions?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Centering mandolin on body vs centering its weight

Well since you've tried both of those, the only thing left maybe is an F5 or a button in the heel

Tying around the headstock: The feeling of constantly holding back the mandolin from swinging right (when standing) made me swear off that technique even tho others prefer it. I admittedly didn't give it much time as it was a pita.

Tying around the fretboard extension works for me but I did it long enough to not notice any issues

My Ellis A5 came with a heel button nicely installed and in spite of my previous disdain for the look of it - I'm really glad it has it. Easy on/off and no issues hitting it with my left hand. I think it holds the mandolin a little more stable than tying under fretboard. It's my prefered solution now, but I'd think long about doing that if unless you know you're gonna have it for a while

3. The following members say thank you to Mark Wilson for this post:

I play a F mando with one of the "silly curly strap hangers". It hangs pretty neutrally. Have you considered a strap button on the heel of the neck? My guitar felt way better when I switched from headstock to heel. That move of a few inches of anchor point from tied to heel to strap button might help, but it is a destructive modification with a new hole drilled into your mando...
    One problem I do have, when I'm not relaxed and playing with too much arm and hand tension, my mando rotates around my body towards my picking arm and gets off center. It is an instant reminder to control my technique and get back on track.
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MontanaMatt For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMatt View Post
    ...."silly curly strap hangers". .
    Others opinion of the F, not mine
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

I personally prefer the headstock option, then again I have a sizable belly to rest the mando on. I also tend to prefer the "under right arm" rather than "centered" mandolin placement.
    Mandolins: The Loar LM-220; Lyon & Healy Special A #103; Epiphone Mandobird VIII
    Violins: 19th century German Steiner copy; NS Design WAV 4; NS Design WAV 5; Reiter Alien II 7-string
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ausdoerrt

8. The following members say thank you to Ausdoerrt for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMatt View Post
    One problem I do have, when I'm not relaxed and playing with too much arm and hand tension, my mando rotates around my body towards my picking arm and gets off center..
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausdoerrt View Post
    I personally prefer the headstock option, then again I have a sizable belly to rest the mando on. I also tend to prefer the "under right arm" rather than "centered" mandolin placement.
    There is nothing sacred about front and center. I am with Ausdoerrt, I prefer the mandolin further to the right, when I am standing.

When I sit, I rarely use a strap and the mandolin is a bit more centered. I have evolved to the Mike Marshall recommended way, and when I hit a hard passage I look down and find I have moved away from it.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

10. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

do you put the strap on your right shoulder or over your head and on the left shoulder? i tie around the nut and put the strap on the left shoulder, and it balances very nicely.

12. The following members say thank you to dlp for this post:

Another thing to consider is that if you use a ToneGard on your mandolin, as many of us do, it will change the weight balance and make the mandolin less neck-heavy, and more body-heavy.

You didn't say, but I presume you have an A model, since you did not mention running the strap around the scroll, but straight to the headstock. You are correct that a headstock strap attachment may push the mandolin just a bit to the right (if you own a right-handed instrument), but the effect is really minimal. I am surprised it gives you any issues, though; maybe it's more a matter of learning to play while standing upright that you're really dealing with, here? This calls for several different types of postural adjustments, in my experience, and actual practice!

Regardless, the two best ways for attaching a strap to an A5 mandolin model, IMO, are (1) around/under the fretboard extension in a simple loop, or (2) to a strap button placed strategically on the heel of the neck. Either of these will situate the weight of the mandolin closer to your body core. Try it!

Also, as some have mentioned, it also depends on whether you run the strap over your head and behind your back (I do) or just over one shoulder, like so many of the bluegrassers often do, emulating -- who else? -- Bill Monroe. Try both approaches and pick the one you like. I like the extra security of running the strap around me, as a guitarist might.

14. The following members say thank you to sblock for this post:

FWIW Though Its af F, I noted Evan Marshall uses the headstock for the other end of the strap ..
    his forearm rests on the tailpiece..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

It's an A, and I run the strap behind my neck. I have only rarely tried playing while standing though, so maybe it is more a matter of getting used to that. Thanks everybody!

I use a strap under the fingerboard extension on my Ellis "A" style & it sits perfectly. The wide shoulder strap has plenty of friction & one placed where i want it,it doesn't move,
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Strap (1).JPG 
Views:	101 
Size:	323.7 KB 
ID:	156470
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

There is of course only one correct way to hang a strap on a mandolin, and that's the way that works for you.

Heel button. Drill hole with a small hand drill for max control. I believe the theory of screwholes is you make their diameter about 70% of the screw shank width in softwood, and up to 90% in hardwood--and of course this will be hardwood. Put soap or a bit of oil on the screw threads before you put the screw in. If youre not sure, practice on a piece of scrap wood before you attack your instrument. It's a very simple task but must be done right the first time. Generally on the lower (treble) side of the heel.
    Or practice the non-invasive techniques others have mentioned...up to you.

In talking about her F-style mandolin, Sharon Gilchrist said she preferred to secure the strap to the scroll so that it hung over the left shoulder and rested securely against the left side of her chest. I tried that and found it - the strap - kept the mandolin in place and at a perfect angle for playing - sitting or standing. A strap button on the heel of the neck should do the trick for your "A." I understand Monroe used the strap over the right-shoulder stance because he didn't want have to remove his hat when putting on or taking off his mandolin and show his balding pate ...

I installed a strap button at the heel and use a Tone Gard. That keeps everything nicely in place.

Also, over time, you'll find a position that works for you. Without the Tone Gard I loop the mandolin over my right shoulder (I'm right handed). Same thing when I'm seated. When standing it works best to use the Tone Gard and loop over my left shoulder like a guitar (at least that works best for me).

Some instruments are inherently neck heavy. Every mandolin I've picked up has been like that.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Strap around your neck with a single attachment point at the scroll?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	david-grisman-quintet-74.jpeg 
Views:	121 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	156471

24. The following members say thank you to Jacob for this post:

I hang my mandolin off my right shoulder because I like the place that it hangs, not because I wear a cowboy hat and not because Bill Monroe did (I didn't realize he did). I tried both ways, but there was no question about which was better. Both hands end up evenly centered on my body. My other instruments, I hang around my neck.

There's always the ''possibility'' that the mandolin simply slung over one shoulder,if not held in the hand as well,could slip off & fall to the ground & be damaged,as happened to one luckless Cafe member quite a while back. It resulted in a nasty crack in the mandolin top. I have tried using the strap over my right shoulder alone,& i found that the mandolin tries to get away from the front of my body & it moves as i play it. Around my back & over my left shoulder,& it's absolutely under my control re. where it rests,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Presumably we're discussing playing while standing... for most mere mortals it's whatever position feels most comfortable and is easiest for you to isolate the mandolin from movement that translates to precision from picking hand to mandolin...you're simply not going to get the desired outcome if the instrument is bouncing all around while you play. That's one of the big reasons why a 'tone guard' works and is so popular with players that perform regularly. Watch video of Evan Marshall; his William Tell Overture comes to mind. He's one of the best and most accurate players in the entire free world...there's very little, if any, instrument movement.
    Last edited by mtucker; Apr-27-2017 at 8:24am.

I had the same issue with my Astyle.

Solved it with a heel button and flat braided leather strap.

My armrest and the 1/4 inch hardware for surface mounted pickup also adds a little weight to the tail end.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.