Thread: Another Martin AK thread ('23'edition)

Default Another Martin AK thread ('23'edition)

Played one in NYC a month ago and fell in love but it was a little out of my price range. One showed up on Reverb for 1/3 less and I couldn't resist. So far only stringed instruments I own are a no name Chinese mando, Michael Kelly A solid and a beginner Yamaha acoustic guitar, so my care routine for them has basically been "do not smash" and nothing more. Having purchased a 95 year old instrument I really want to care for the right way, I figured I solicit some opinions. I know there is some controversy over storing in the case vs out. Right now my MK is in a safe corner on a stand but is under the AC return vent, not a blower vent, just the vent that takes air back in. I live in SW CT where temps and humidity have the wild swings associated with New England. We're finishing up with dry and cold and entering hot and humid. Here are some questions:

1. Should I use a humidifier; in the room, one of those in instrument ones, nothing, only during the winter...?
    2. String size??? I use GHS A270 strings on my MK. This is a much lighter instrument, are those too heavy?
    3. Amplification-seems too light to put on LR Braggs Radius, other suggestions? Should I use a mic instead, maybe a Countryman Isomax? Would much rather have it attached to me instead of being on a stand but I'd sacrifice mobility for the mando.
    4. Any other major things I should know that I haven't asked?

Thanks.

Default Re: Another Martin AK thread ('23'edition)

Try to keep your humidity in the room you store it in the 40-50% range (35-60 is probably ok, but my instruments really like the mid to lower 40s the best). If you can't do that, the case humidifiers are fine, but beware drips/spills. I live near Charlotte, NC, and will have to occasionally humidify in the winter months, but starting in March/April have to run a dehumidifier. Often, if you put the case humidifiers in dry they'll help lower the humidity some, too, but not sure how effective they are.

As for strings, go much lighter than the 270s. I think I have Martin light gauges on mine now, but will probably try J62s (which are also the right gauge for my Flatiron 1N) next. I'm sure GHS has something comparable, but haven't bothered to check. These guys don't have truss rods are are well but lightly built, so heavier strings could cause you some issues.

I keep mine in the case when not in use, safe from kids, dogs, drunk friends, clumsy friends, whatever

Congrats on your new mandolin! Enjoy!!
    Chuck

Since you Reference the GHS strings A250 would be a good choice for your mandolin. I just got a '27 and wish it were koa, but these are all nice sounding mandolins.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

1. Get a reliable hygrometer (humidity measurement gauge), keep it near where the mandolin is kept. Try to shoot for 40-50% relative humidity. If you find it reads much lower than that, get an in-case humidifier, wet it with distilled water, and re-wet it every couple days. Make sure that the absorbent material is saturated, but the rest of the humidifier is wiped dry, and keep it from any contact with the instrument's finish.

2. I am a loud-mouthed advocate of keeping instruments cased when not in use. Many an unforeseen event has damaged one left out on a stand or hung on a wall. Plus, it's much easier to control the environment within a case, than throughout an entire room.

3. If you have a 1923 A-K, I'd amplify it with a microphone, not install a piezo. You could use a clip-on mic on the sound hole, if you're careful about abrading the finish. The koa Martins weren't common, they have a very nice sound, and they fall into the "collectible" category, as well a being great players' instruments -- so I"d try to keep it as original as possible.

Just my 2¢.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

The Martin Koa ukuleles of the same vintage tend to be very thin and are prone to cracking if allowed to dry out. That said, mine survived decades in a closet in Vermont with only a few minor cracks in the back. Helped by the buffer to changes in humidity and temperature provided by the closet and the case, I think.

My '29 style B and I like the GHS A240 strings. .009-.032 I don't know if one step heavier (A250) would make too much difference in sound, but I've seen a couple of these in stores with top cracks that may have been exacerbated by heavier strings, so I go light.

IMO this is not a mando to install a pickup in. Playing through a piezo negates the acoustics of the instrument anyway, I would consider the MK for that if you need it.

Enjoy the instrument!

Sorry, had to run before getting to #3...agree with the above advice to just mix it rather than alter it...
    Chuck

Thanks for all the advice. It has a professionally repaired crack on the top (hence it being in my price range), although I'm not sure if the crack went through anyway. I'll get the humidity gauge and see what it says than take it from there. Any specific mic suggestions would be appreciated. I've read good thing bout the countryman Isomax, and I have used it to mic other instruments with great success.

I have had A250's on a 20's supertone, very similar to the Martin but lighter. Been using them for years with no problems. 10-36 is still pretty light. I don't think I would like 9-32, but that is what it's all about, personal taste. enjoy
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!