Thread: Have I found a Mandolin treasure?

Default Have I found a Mandolin treasure?

Hi guys, Im new in the world of Mandolins, but fell in love hard last month when a friend lent me hers for a few weeks. In my search online for my first Mandolin Ive stumbled across something I havent seen before and that looks, if not great, at least interesting
    The owner just wants $200, so Im wondering if its just old and worthless or a bit of a treasure?

Its seemingly an old Italian Mandolin or Mandriola with a lion logo and an almost "batlike" carving as sound hole. Its 63 cm long and under the logo it says O.Garczzo
    Unfortunately I now cant seem to attach the fotos Id like you to see. (let me know if its possible)

Any advice you guys might have would be much appreciated!

Best Regards
    MN

Default Re: Have I found a Mandolin treasure?

If it has 12 strings it's a mandriola, if it has 8 (4 courses) it's a mandolin.
    The reference I found on line of Garozzo was on Dave Hynds site and under the photo it mentions our cafe member Jim Garber.
    http://www.mandolinluthier.com/neapo...phabetic-2.htm
    Without pics, can't advise much, however, if it's a mandriola, I would advise against it. It has 3 strings per course which makes it a little difficult to play. Don't just buy an old mandolin because you like it's looks. You need a instrument well set up and easy to play to start on.
    “Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent.”
    ― Victor Hugo

3. The following members say thank you to Hany Hayek for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by MandoNina View Post
    Unfortunately I now cant seem to attach the fotos Id like you to see. (let me know if its possible)

MN
    Start a reply.

Click on 'Go Advanced' button, below response box.

Click on 'Manage Attachments' below response box.

Click on 'Add Files' then 'Choose File' then 'Upload'.

If the uploaded photos are not in the lower box marked 'Attachments', move them there.

Click on 'Insert Inline' and 'Done'.

Done

5. The following members say thank you to Ron McMillan for this post:

Blog Entries

Nina, related to musical instruments, treasure is a relative term... And many, many discussions occur, mostly unsuccessfully, to try to define it.

If you want an instrument to play, you may want less of a treasure instrument, and more of a hammer and a saw instrument. Meaning, you will want it to be playable. Once you have some hours playing the instrument, it will become more of a treasure to you.

On the other hand, if you want something that looks beautiful hanging on your wall, maybe to dust off and strum once every couple of months, a treasure instrument may be the answer. Some really beautiful antique mandolins are really also totally unplayable due to age and condition. And the cost to repair them often is more than the value of the instrument on the open market.

To play, or to look at, both are valid directions, it just depends on what you want.

As mentioned previously, pictures will really help people here at least determine what you are looking at.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

7. The following members say thank you to dhergert for this post:

Nina - if it looks like this, buy it for its unique value, if nothing else:

http://m.finn.no/bap/forsale/ad.html?finnkode=79545332

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to billkilpatrick For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by billkilpatrick View Post
    Nina - if it looks like this, buy it for its unique value, if nothing else:

http://m.finn.no/bap/forsale/ad.html?finnkode=79545332
    Looks like an interesting conversational piece to hang on the wall

Quote Originally Posted by mee View Post
    Looks like an interesting conversational piece to hang on the wall
    Or to paddle with.....

Not to be killjoy OP,
    Spend your money on a mando that will play easily, stay in tune, and intonate properly up the neck.
    Such an instrument will make your learning more joyful in every way.

Like many of us, you can
    ' do MAS" later
    Last edited by stevedenver; Apr-24-2017 at 8:29am.

12. The following members say thank you to stevedenver for this post:

Ok so this has just become my favourite website!
    I imagined Id have a few responses in a couple of days, but I couldnt wait, so I logged on to have a quick look and what do you know...
    The link to Dave Hynds amazing site, great tips and advices on pretty much everything I was wondering and billkilpatrick who actually managed to find the very Mandolin that Im considering buying!!
    I take it that the consensus is that the Mandolin wont play well, but am I also to take it that its still a decent investment due to its uniqueness?

I could always put in an offer on something like this at the side;

https://www.finn.no/bap/forsale/ad.h...n&fks=91780617

and hopefully get away with a nice sounding, easily played Mandolin at a relatively low cost...( what should I offer ?

Thanks a lot guys. You all rock!

MAS strikes again … (sigh) … it's hopeless … we're like chaff before the wind ...

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

Wow, Nina, you are finding the weird ones! Unfortunately, they're weird for a reason: they never sounded that good, so people stopped messing around with them. Investment value is nil. Decorative value, well, I think they're a cool "folk-art" wall hanger, but then that's me. For something to really play, there are a zillion threads on good mandolins for the $4-500 mark, and if you really want to play, that's the direction to go in. But yeah, the weird ones do catch your eye!

16. The following members say thank you to Charlieshafer for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by MandoNina View Post
    I take it that the consensus is that the Mandolin wont play well, but am I also to take it that its still a decent investment due to its uniqueness?
    <snip>

hopefully get away with a nice sounding, easily played Mandolin at a relatively low cost.
    First of all, what kind of mandolin did your friend lend you and what do he or she play and what does he or she think of this oddball? I will say this rather bluntly: if you just want a curiosity to hang on the wall this might do well. If you want to actually play mandolin, this would be a big mistake. OTOH if you have money to burn you could buy a true playable mandolin AND this Garozzi and have a great time. If you are looking for an investment the Garozzi is way too strange for that purpose. I have seen that one around and it bounced from one European dealer to another for years. If I were you I would steer clear of it.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Unique and rare don't generally = valuable.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    Unique and rare don't generally = valuable.
    Ahhh … Nina - forget what I said.

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Unless you are rolling in Krone, the Garozzo seems an absurd investment. Or more likely a complete waste of money. A photo of Max Manus would be a conversation piece....

The bridge is mounted to the back of the instrument? How does that work? That thing hurts my eyes.

Isn't there a nice Levin mandolin or two floating around greater Scandinavia somewhere? Would make a lovely starter instrument and a good investment.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

22. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

Ok ok, point taken. Ill leave the Garozzo where I found it. Thanks for saving me some money

I aint got none to "burn" and sure as hell aint rolling in it, but my friends mandolin was bought used online for $250 and it sounds great (Im new to mandolins, not music), so I figured Id have a decent chance of finding something nice for a couple of hundred, and then when I saw those two (for a few hundred) I got naively excited...
    My friend is a violin player who picked up a mandolin since theyre tuned the same, and doesnt know much about the latter. She cant tell me the name without looking, and for the time being shes overseas.

I really appreciate the swift, blunt and more than anything, helpful responses Ive gotten from all of you.
    Ill continue my search for a second hand mandolin, check out some threads here and keep Levin in mind!

Cheers

Something like this would probably be the best bang for your buck at USD 250: http://www.theloar.com/products/mand...olin-lm-220-vs

The stores generally ask more, but if you look around and are a bit patient, you can get it used at around that price (as I did a year ago). With a bit of setup, it'll be the best mandolin investment you ever make.

As for the "oddities" - don't burn your money unless you have extra money to burn. Getting a good one is akin to winning the lottery. Not to mention that even the good "vintage" instruments tend to be a bit finnicky.
    Mandolins: The Loar LM-220; Lyon & Healy Special A #103; Epiphone Mandobird VIII
    Violins: 19th century German Steiner copy; NS Design WAV 4; NS Design WAV 5; Reiter Alien II 7-string
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ausdoerrt

25. The following members say thank you to Ausdoerrt for this post:

Ok, i will be...rationale and blunt.

If one wants to play an instrument, a common approach is
    1 A teacher; or, talk to some locals who play, and try thier instruments, if you can, find a local folk music school, etc.

2 Teacher , et al, will teach, and offer thoughts on instruments;

3 Try, if you can , at stores, to feel what it is you might like to buy;
    4 Shop, with or without budget
    5 read enthusiast forums to try and get a bit more info, good, bad, and the rest.

Set up is very important. What is set up? How the strings interact with the fretboard, not too high, not too low, straight neck, bridge properly positioned on soundboard. All simple once you learn. While i buy used, i have skills and knowledge from once building guitars.
    If you dont have this background, a good shop can help...set up, strings, later problems, etc. if you have a local,shop, great if they have what you want. Go slow, be patient despite your eagerness.

Since you are not new to music, you will likely progress quickly. Get a tool that wont be a hindrance. All mandos are cute and cuddly. But, they should feel playable( theres enough string tension to get used to, even if you already play, say, guitar).

Mandos are finnicky, so build care matters, tough to tune and keep in tune. Less forgiving than same quality guitars.

And, you want one that sounds decent when you finally are able to play it, otherwise it can be very discouraging.
    Agree, the loar, kentucky, eastman, and other asian makes sould give you value and happiness.

Btw, invest in a good quality violin or mando tuner, or guitar tuner..ie one that responds quickly.
    Consider light gauge strings to start, buy spares. Set and a few singles.

Search this site and find and print rob meldrums easy to understand guide, free, on mando set up and maintenance. This is like driving a car and knowing where the gas cap and wipers, lights etc are.

Dont be overwhelmed, cos your gonna love your mando once you get it and start. This will help.

27. The following members say thank you to stevedenver for this post:

Hello MandoNina.
    I just brought home the "Mafia" Garozzo from finn.no, and couldn't resist to comment.
    (It's actually a good instrument, but it does need a little work)

If you want an affordable beginners instrument, and a treasure, i would go shopping at the mandolinluthier.com .