Thread: Looper recommendations.

Default Looper recommendations.

Howdy. I interested in playing around with a relatively cheap, yet reliable looper. Any recommendations in the sub 100 range?

Thanks!

Default Re: Looper recommendations.

Boss RC 1`

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave Hausner For This Useful Post:

There's a one-button TC Ditto that's under $100, I have the two-button and love it (the extra button makes things much easier). Also: if you're playing into a microphone, you'll need to either get a pedal designed to accommodate mics or get a connector that adjusts the line level, so you might budget for that as well.

There are several for iPads and tablets, I use Loopy and Jam Looper - which is less complex than Loopy. For pedals I used an RC3 and it was good.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

6. The following members say thank you to bigskygirl for this post:

The Electro Harmonix 360 works well for me. The two-switch 720 is over a hundred, but a good option. Buy used.

8. The following members say thank you to spufman for this post:

I have a one button Ditto; recording quality and length is good...having to double tap the button to stop the loop is cumbersome.

I also have Line 6 DL4. The recording time is limited (14 seconds) but can double recording length to 28 seconds if you hit the 1/2 speed button. This limited recording time is a deal killer for most but the looping buttons are most intuitive. To my knowledge the DL4 is the only looper that has the play once button which when pressed will play your loop to the end and stop. This simple feature is almost mandatory for live looping in my opinion and am surprised it is not standard on many loopers. Even the two button Ditto does not do this. Also while looping you have a basic delay available to add some ambience. The DL4 can last 30 hours on four “C” batteries instead of a wall wart which I find convenient for a quick plug and play scenario.

The DL4 is primarily a delay pedal with very good sounds however the previously mentioned intuitive buttons make it a favorite looper among many including the great Bill Frisell. Watch him play Strawberry Fields on NPR Tiny Deck concert to see him do some amazing stuff with the DL4

One cool trick I found with the DL4 is to quickly record a two note drone ( tap tap ) so you have a very short loop then hit the the 1/2 speed button and it drops it an octave. You can get almost a EH Freeze pedal effect. I do this with guitar but I imagine the octave down would be really helpful to create a nice pad to noodle against on mandolin.

10. The following members say thank you to Perry for this post:

I too, have the one button TC Ditto which I use for practice loops. I play a rhythm loop on the guitar and then practice my mandolin on top of that. The simplicity of the the Ditto is all I need.
    Eastman MD515 with K&K pickup
    Lakewood acoustic guitar with K&K pickup

Hotone Wally. Nice low priced 1 button. Limited recording time, but easy to use. If you want to spend some money I'd go DigiTech 2 or 4 button with a memory card.

I normally see this Rowin Looper 3, a copy of the TC Electronic Ditto 2X, for $55 or less.

----

Playing a funky oval-hole scroll-body mandolin, several mandolins retuned to CGDA, three CGDA-tuned Flatiron mandolas, two Flatiron mandolas tuned as octave mandolins,and a six-course 25.5" scale CGDAEB-tuned Ovation Mandophone.

Love mandola?
    Join the Mandola Social Group!

Some of the big buck loopers have going for them, among other things like four to eight loops, are switches that are much more precise than those on my ditto X4. I'd like to use one live, but I have a no pre recorded anything rule, and I can't stop the loop precisely enough to be reliable. It sucks to have even a small delay at the end of a loop.

Dittos are fine for playing around with in the studio.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Quote Originally Posted by bigskygirl View Post
    There are several for iPads and tablets, I use Loopy and Jam Looper - which is less complex than Loopy. For pedals I used an RC3 and it was good.
    I'm one of the guys behind Jam Looper, really glad to hear you are enjoying it. Would love to get your feedback on how we can improve it, if you have some time for that please ping me here or chat with me through the app (We have a "chat with us" button).

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Greenwell View Post
    I'm one of the guys behind Jam Looper, really glad to hear you are enjoying it. Would love to get your feedback on how we can improve it, if you have some time for that please ping me here or chat with me through the app (We have a "chat with us" button).

Thanks!
    I just upgraded and will spend some time with it...like the new options so far.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

I want one to solo Telemann's Cannonic sonata in G. Both melody lines are identical but set off a few beats or measures. So, playing to the end seem required.

Just following. . .

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

I use a jam man II, not in the stated budget, but, easy to use ,shift loops, lots of memory, features.
    Happy.
    They do take a bit of practice to get dead on timing in the loop.