Thread: American Breedloves and old Gibsons: opinions?

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Default American Breedloves and old Gibsons: opinions?

Hey!

What can you tell me about US-made Breedloves? There are a couple of used A-style ones I've spotted online here and there: a Premier OF ($1k) and a Quartz OF ($850). Both look to be in good shape.

There are also some old A-style Gibson beaters around in the $1k-to-$1.6k range. They all boast mucho mojo, of course.

Though I gig occasionally, I mainly want an A-style axe with hearty bark for jams and parties and busking. (Busking is the biggest challenge: you have to outshout traffic.)

For what it's worth, I'm mainly an electric and flattop guitar guy, but I've been learning mando and dobro and have started pulling them out at gigs and jams. They seem to be well received, which has fueled my hunger for power.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Blog Entries

Default Re: American Breedloves and old Gibsons: opinions?

The Breedlove mandolins would be my preference in that role. They stand up well to environmental changes compared to most vintage instruments (that can be really 'sensitive') and they have very good fret-work and intonation.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to almeriastrings For This Useful Post:

FWIW Breedlove used three different names for their entry level USA made mandolin models. Quartz is the earliest branding, followed by American I think, then they called them the Premier series before they eventually ceased production. They are all essentially the same mandolin. There have been color variations mostly. Early on they were available in either dark sunburst or natural blond. Towards the end of production they eliminated both colors and only produced them in a lighter burst, which I never liked and called orangeburst. But I don't know what they actually called it. Amberburst? Anyways, the same mandolin designs in any case, no matter what they are called.

They used to be very popular with guitarists because of the radius fretboard, large frets, wide nut, and of course the Breedlove name recognition. You would think the value on the USA ones would have gone up, but counterintuitively they seem to have gone down. I guess it's because people think they can get the same thing brand new with the Crossovers. They are wrong. I have played the Crossover FF and the only thing I can say good about it is that it's very shiny. Other than that, the old USA Breedloves blow it away. If you can find a used BL USA it would be a bargain, and perfect for what you want to do IMHO. Don't get too hung up on the exact name of the series, you can't go wrong, just go by sound and condition.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to multidon For This Useful Post:

Door #3..
    Consider , for the sake of Volume, the National RM1,
    a metal resonator in a generally A shaped wooden body,
    that many have come to like for those situations..
    Wood softens the sound, compared to the brass bodies in that type..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

7. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

Old Gibsons happen to be fueling my MAS right now but won't be as loud as you would seem to want, but I've played a few lately that tweaked my tone buds.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

9. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

Scott Avett has pointed out that when you're busking or street playing, your biggest hurdle is just grabbing people's attention, and the banjo is great for that. So, door #3 is awesome...I have one, and really like it. And, it's freaking LOUD! Door number 4 might be a banjo-mando (or banjolin).

Pastrami on rye arguments aside, I agree that I'd go American made Breedlove for your applications, unless I could go to Gruhn's and play a bunch of Gibson As until I found the one that Sirened me...
    Chuck

11. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

I have a pair of Breedloves, a Quartz FF and Legacy FF. Both were made in Bend, OR. I use the Legacy the most with the Quartz as a backup. The Quartz is a natural finish. I love both of them. The workmanship is impeccable. Both have excellent intonation and playability. As almeriastrings said, they are resistant to climate changes. I have found that the G strings seems to be the most vulnerable on both though it is only a very minor inconvenience.

Both came with pickups. The Quartz has a Schertler and the Legacy has K&K. Both are wide nut. Both sound excellent. The Legacy has Gibson Sam Bush strings on it. I'm experimenting with the Quartz. It has Black Diamond "Black" strings (and actually, they sound pretty good).

Needless to say, I am an American Breedlove fan but I have to admit I've never played the foreign-made Breedloves.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

13. The following members say thank you to DHopkins for this post:

Thanks, gang. That helps!

Coming late to the party, I'll add that the Breedloves you mentioned have f-holes, whereas the old Gibson A's have oval holes. That difference gives the Breedloves more bark and projection, but less resonance. I have a 1921 Gibson A that has the mucho mojo that you described, but before and since I bought it, I played a few that had less and none that had more. Unfortunately, I don't play it that much --- although I love it when I do --- because its flat fingerboard aggravates my left elbow tendonitis (even when I wear a brace) after 1/2 an hour.

Since you mentioned going up to $1.6K in your Gibson pricing, you can also look at used Breedlove FF's (which I think have a little more volume than the OF's, and generally go for less than the next two mandos I'll mention), used Weber Gallatins, and possibly used Collings MT's.
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

16. The following members say thank you to Marcus CA for this post:

Loved my Premier OF. Really sorry I ever sold it. Just sold the Silverangel. Will be looking for another Premier OF. In the under 1500.00 range in US made, I think that Breedlove Premier OF was the best value around for a mandolin. Well made, terrific volume and sustain. Clean sound across all the strings. Just loved it!
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

18. The following members say thank you to Bill Kammerzell for this post:

After all the info I got here and elsewhere, I found and landed this for $1,200:

https://reverb.com/item/1595967-redl...014-spruce-top

Happy! It's more mando than I need, but that just means I won't end up with less than I want. Thanks for all the good advice. It helped.

Now excuse me while I go camp out by the mailbox. . . .

20. The following members say thank you to Charlie Bernstein for this post:

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

Dang, the Breedlove appreciation party is over? I wanted to put my .02 in for my American FF with K&K twin. It's my go-to mando for gigs. Sounds great and never waivers from climate change. I also think that the Crossover series are very underwhelming. Wouldn't be my choice in that price range.

Thanks to multidon for explaining the model name changes. Good to know.
    Living’ in the Mitten

22. The following members say thank you to Steve Ostrander for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
    After all the info I got here and elsewhere, I found and landed this for $1,200:

https://reverb.com/item/1595967-redl...014-spruce-top

Happy! It's more mando than I need, but that just means I won't end up with less than I want. Thanks for all the good advice. It helped.

Now excuse me while I go camp out by the mailbox. . . .
    Lol! Well, how does it sound? I wondered who got this? I was watching this and lurking in the shadows waiting for my Silverangel Econo A to sell. Out of nowhere it disappeared on April 29th I think? So two hours later the Silverangel sells. So you got it? Lol! Anyway, tell us how you like it? These are nice from what I hear, and the price looks like a steal. Anyway, I ended up with a great mandolin in my JBovier A5. So all is well. Can't wait to hear about this Steve Smith build you got. Glad a fine gentleman like you ended up with it.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus CA View Post
    Coming late to the party, I'll add that the Breedloves you mentioned have f-holes, whereas the old Gibson A's have oval holes. That difference gives the Breedloves more bark and projection, but less resonance. I have a 1921 Gibson A that has the mucho mojo that you described, but before and since I bought it, I played a few that had less and none that had more. Unfortunately, I don't play it that much --- although I love it when I do --- because its flat fingerboard aggravates my left elbow tendonitis (even when I wear a brace) after 1/2 an hour.

Since you mentioned going up to $1.6K in your Gibson pricing, you can also look at used Breedlove FF's (which I think have a little more volume than the OF's, and generally go for less than the next two mandos I'll mention), used Weber Gallatins, and possibly used Collings MT's.
    A lot of Gibson A's from the 30's are F-holed and some stand out big time, I wouldn't discredit those ones. If ya had the talent get one and modify it and you would have something old/kool/full of the mojo!

Congratulations. They have a great rep. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts as you become accustomed to the instrument.
    Make America Grateful Again!

2013 Collings MF, 2017 Northfield NF2S, 2019 Northfield Big Mon F
    1968 Martin D12-20, 2008 Martin HD28, 2022 Martin CEO 7
    1978 Ibanez Artist "Flying Eagle" Masterclone Banjo

You got a great mandolin made by a great guy! Congratulations.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

Blog Entries

You can't go wrong. For tone and playability, the Breedlove would be the choice. For equally good tone, plus more volume and vintage mojo, the Gibson A every time. I own a teens Gibson A and it has a woody bark! They can need a bit of work unless you find a nice VG+ or better.
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"