Thread: Kent F-style?

Default Kent F-style?

Hey y'all, new guy here in Austin, TX. About 16 years ago, I bought this Kent F style from a guy and I've never been able to find out any information on it. He claimed it was built in 1957, but I don't know where he got that information.

I can't find any serial number, but I do remember when I first got it, there was a sticker on the back of the head stock that had I *think* KM-63 on it. That sticker has been lost for awhile now.

Does anybody have any information they could offer on the history or value of this?

I'm contemplating putting a K&K internal pickup in it, but I'd hate to affect the value of it if it's worth much. Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kent1.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	156383

Name:	kent3.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	156384

Name:	kent5.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	156385

2. The following members say thank you to BoogerRed for this post:

Default Re: Kent F-style?

Kent was a brand name that was imported primarily from Japan in the late 60's -70's, maybe early 80's. The e-mando.com has some information about their electric mandolins here. I obviously haven't seen everything but I don't recall seeing another one of these.

Here is every thread on the Cafe with the word Kent in it. There is mention of an A style but no pictures.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

I once had a Hondo brand mandolin that looked just like this one. I'm guessing that it was made in the late 70's, like Mike mentioned above. The one I had Was all laminate construction and didn't sound very good(I cut a hole in the top and put in a humbucking pickup!), and I don't think that these mandolins have much in the way of collector value.
    "it's not in bad taste, if it's funny" - john waters

===========

My first electric bass was a Kent. Hardly a Fender or a Rickenbacker, but when you consider what horrible imports were on the market in the 60's and 70's, the Kent's that I have seen/played were not half bad. My guess would be that it is from the late 60's - early 70's . . . and I would not have hesitated to snatch that one for myself. Nice find - thanks for sharing!

I agree probably Japanese from the 60's or 70's. I would not worry about impacting its value.

Cool, thanks y'all

Mike, you're amazing. Thanks for all you contribute to our passion.