Thread: Mandola strings recommendations

Default Mandola strings recommendations

I recently bought a used Weber Hyalite mandola. Does anyone here have a recommendation about strings--either what's best or what's to be avoided?

Default Re: Mandola strings recommendations

There are a number of threads out there on this, but here's one:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...-string-gauges
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Best to state the scale length, rather than wait to just talk to only Weber Hyalite mandola owners..

longer the scale , maybe the thinner the strings will work for you..

Mine an H (Not a Gibson but the H comes from their scale length) .4M, 12/24/32/48
    0nly the 12 is unwound.

[Gages not brands , the brand is really more personal favoritism than vast difference.]

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I use Eagle mandola strings, made by Malcolm Newton [ best British maker ] 15 plain, 26/36/52 wound.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

I'm also using Newtones (re-badged by Eagle) on my new Collings - but custom gauge ordered direct from Newtone.

Just to avoid confusion, Malcolm Newton retired a couple of years ago and his right hand man, Neil Silverman, has taken over the company. The only difference I can see is that they've moved premises and now fulfill orders in a couple of weeks rather than a couple of months. (NFI)

I like D'Addario EFT-76 Flat Tops for my Duff H-5 mandola.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

It could be a good idea to try a few combinations and see what it, and you, like.
    An easy way to do this is go into a store that sells single (bulk) guitar strings, and piece together a set or two.

On my Sawchyn 17" flattop mandola, I use 13/23w/35w/47w. This might be slightly on the light side, which is gentler on the top. I use ordinary phosphor bronze wound and plain steel guitar strings, and break out the ball to create loop ends - this gives more flexibility selecting gauge, and (once you know what guage you like) is a lot less expensive - $4 or so - than buying packaged mandola sets.

The hyalite is a 17" scale, I believe, and with the arched top you would most likely be fine going a few ticks heavier, eg 14-52.
    Flat wound or flat-ground strings give a nice tone, and are worth trying out to see it they sound/feel worth the price tag.
    Jeff Rohrbough
    "Listen louder, play softer"

I use D'Addario Octave Mandolin strings on my Weber Bridger Mandola (17" scale, "D" hole) -- 46 32 22 12.

I also like John Pearse Mandola strings -- 45 - 12. I have used the heavier gauges, and they work fine too.