Thread: Scales

Default Scales

If a guitar player is tuned to D
    And capoed at the second and fourth frets
    What scales should I using for accompaniment?
    Eastman 315 D.
    Washburn M108 SWK
    Rover RM 75
    Eastwood mandcaster

Default Re: Scales

If they're playing to the major key of the tuning then for 2nd fret capo that would be E major and 4th fret capo would be F# major.

That's what I thought .I was told to use a capo and stay two frets ahead of him.
    Why would I do that ?

You wouldn't! Generally speaking, you would play without a capo in E, or in F#. But if you really want to use a capo, then you could capo at the 2nd fret and play as if it were in D (just like the guitarist), and it would come out sounding in E. Ditto for capoing the 4th fret and F#.

Thanks for the input bootlegger !

He might be playing in just about any key/scale, the capo position wouldn't determine that. I'd find out what key each particular song is in and play the appropriate scale for each song. I find this is a fairly handy tool for finding scales to play over an assortment of chords: https://www.scales-chords.com/scalefinder.php

7. The following members say thank you to Seter for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Seter View Post
    He might be playing in just about any key/scale, the capo position wouldn't determine that. I'd find out what key each particular song is in and play the appropriate scale for each song. I find this is a fairly handy tool for finding scales to play over an assortment of chords: https://www.scales-chords.com/scalefinder.php
    He is tuned to an open D tuning so most likely he is only playing in E and F#. Tho I played with a guitar player who could play in any key out of open D. Very little capo use, just a good player.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

"capoed at second and fourth" sounds like he may be tuned to D standard and using a partial capo to play in "drop E?"

As mentioned, next time just ask which (concert) key the tune is in.

There is no real way of telling. Depending on the ability of the guitarist she/he could be playing in any key. I would ask. I also, if it isn't too snotty, suggest doing some ear training so you can here what key things are in. It doesn't have to be perfect but a couple of guesses and stumbles and you can get it right.

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    He is tuned to an open D tuning so most likely he is only playing in E and F#. Tho I played with a guitar player who could play in any key out of open D. Very little capo use, just a good player.
    He didn't say he was in open D tuning (or drop-D, either). He said he was tuned to D. To me, that means all six strings are tuned down a step. So my answer would have been the same as Seter's, if Seter hadn't beaten me to it.

Tuning down a step isn't all that unusual thing. Twelve-string players often do it. So do people who like to jump back and forth between blues and other styles. I was at a jam in western North Carolina a couple of years ago. Several players had capos at the second fret, and whenever one of them said "Blues in D," all the capos came off.

You might be right that Smh is asking about open D, though. I'm sure we'll find out soon.