Thread: Good instructors in the SF Bay Area?

Certified schooner-rat Neoclinus's Avatar

Default Good instructors in the SF Bay Area?

Hi all,
    My partner and I have recently relocated to the San Francisco Bay Area for work, and I was hoping to tap into the great Cafe knowledge bank for some suggestions... Ideally wanting to find a mandolin teacher who can help me work on intermediate to advanced technique and theory. I've been letting things slide lately more than I should, and though I'll be busy I want to use the opportunity to get back into a regular practice routine and maybe unlearn some bad habits while I'm at it. I know what a good area this is for music so I figure there must be some good instructors around. And recommendations for a good clawhammer banjo teacher would be welcome too!

Thanks!
    "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all." -Douglas Adams

Elkhorn F-5 cocobolo & red cedar, 1896 Cole's Eclipse 4000 banjo, ca. 1880's S.S. Stewart 'lady Stewart' openback banjo, et al...

Default Re: Good instructors in the SF Bay Area?

Gryphon Strings in Palo Alto has many good teachers, Jack Tuttle being one of them. He teaches multiple instrument so could likely meet all your needs.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Agree, Jack Tuttle is great. Tom Bekany teaches some too. May want to check both depending where you live.

Re clawhammer, either Gryphon, or if you can get on with Steve Baughman he is excellent too.

If I'm not mistaken Sharon Gilchrist lives in the Bay Area. Marin County . You could contact her and check if she is still there.

I think she is, Marin or Berkeley? She too is a great teacher.

Thanks for the great suggestions! I'll definitely check out Gryphon, I hadn't realized they were here. And I had forgotten Sharon Gilchrist was out this way, I'll see if I can learn more about what she offers. That would be brilliant! Doesn't she teach a university course on mandolin somewhere?
    "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all." -Douglas Adams

Elkhorn F-5 cocobolo & red cedar, 1896 Cole's Eclipse 4000 banjo, ca. 1880's S.S. Stewart 'lady Stewart' openback banjo, et al...

The California Bluegrass Assn has a database of instructors on their website.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Jody Stecher is in SF. A wealth of knowledge there.

Here are a bunch of East Bay options: Sharon Gilchrist teaches out of the Manning Music studio, in West Berkeley on Gilman. So does a guy named Rowan McCallister, who teaches clawhammer and plays mandolin. Tom Bekeny occasionally teaches mandolin out of his home in Albany, right nearby. Bill Evans teaches everything banjo, also in the West Berkeley/Albany area.

Hope that helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Neoclinus View Post
    Hi all,
    My partner and I have recently relocated to the San Francisco Bay Area for work, and I was hoping to tap into the great Cafe knowledge bank for some suggestions... Ideally wanting to find a mandolin teacher who can help me work on intermediate to advanced technique and theory. I've been letting things slide lately more than I should, and though I'll be busy I want to use the opportunity to get back into a regular practice routine and maybe unlearn some bad habits while I'm at it. I know what a good area this is for music so I figure there must be some good instructors around. And recommendations for a good clawhammer banjo teacher would be welcome too!

Thanks!

IF you are interested in something a little different. Marla Fibish lives in the north bay and teaches both private and group lessons. She's an amazing teacher of Irish Traditional music.

Don't play what's there, play what's not there. - Miles Davis

Quote Originally Posted by jgravois View Post
    Here are a bunch of East Bay options: Sharon Gilchrist teaches out of the Manning Music studio, in West Berkeley on Gilman. So does a guy named Rowan McCallister, who teaches clawhammer and plays mandolin. Tom Bekeny occasionally teaches mandolin out of his home in Albany, right nearby. Bill Evans teaches everything banjo, also in the West Berkeley/Albany area.

Hope that helps!
    Hey that's great! I didn't know Bill Evans taught, nor that he was in the East Bay. That is where we'll be so I'll absolutely look into your suggestions. Would love to at least hear Mr Evans play live, and try not to be too embarrassed to pick up a banjo in front of him...
    Thanks!

Radim Zinkel lives there too .. teaching is part of paying the bills.. in the bay area those bills are hefty.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Bill is the nicest guy in the world, and does a fair bit of teaching. I know a couple of beginners who take lessons from him. And he gigs plenty--he and Tom Bekeny, Chad Manning, and Jim Nunally (the Jaybirds) have a standing once-a-month free gig at the Kensington Circus pub under the band name Bangers and Grass. It's a nice community over here.

Quote Originally Posted by Neoclinus View Post
    Hey that's great! I didn't know Bill Evans taught, nor that he was in the East Bay. That is where we'll be so I'll absolutely look into your suggestions. Would love to at least hear Mr Evans play live, and try not to be too embarrassed to pick up a banjo in front of him...
    Thanks!

The East Bay is a hot bed of great music and musicians - Don't forget to check out the Freight and Salvage for great live music and also for classes. Bill Evans and Marla Fibish teach there. Get to know local musicians via the freight and you will learn of picking / jam opportunities. Welcome to the Bay Area!
    Mandolin : Weber Bitterroot F, Gibson 1907 A, Eastman 805 A
    Mandola : Weber Yellowstone A
    Guitar : Taylor 810

Laurence

Here are two not mentioned so far:
    Eric Thompson is in Berkeley.......... I found him to be a good teacher. Great provenance having played in bands with Garcia and then Grisman when he was coming up. He plays multiple instruments.

Dix Bruce of Musix fame is in Concord........ he has a ton of instruction material out on Mel Bay. And he plays all styles of music. Mandolin or guitar for Dix.

Good list so far but you wouldn't go wrong with either of these fellas. A lot depends on what kind of music you want to play........

Also, if you're interested in music camps you can meet many instructors there, e.g. Radim and Steve Baughman will both be at California Coast Music Camp this summer.