Thread: Chips-Chips-Chips

Default Chips-Chips-Chips

Thanks to the thoughtfulness of fellow picker here at the cafe, I've been given the opportunity to test a Blue Chip pick - a CT55, to be exact - and it's everything they're cranked up to be. At first, the "pick-click" was noticeable but either I don't hear it anymore or I found a way to tone it down. My benefactor also included a smaller, Primetone pick from Dunlop - also good. Both make the Fender celluloid pick I was using sound pretty dull. Blue Chip picks here in Europe are more expensive than in the States - $51.00 + postage from a supplier in the UK, the only one I could find on-line. So y'awl shouldn't complain ... I've ordered 3, Dunlop 513P 1.5 Primetone picks but will have to wait till my next trip back to the States to ... pick-up a peck of Blue Chip picks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o_rGhcBgME
    Last edited by billkilpatrick; Apr-21-2017 at 5:43am.

Default Re: Chips-Chips-Chips

I got hooked on BC the same way, in fact, I ended up buying the one I was loaned. It kind of reminds me of being in elementary school in the early 80's, and being warned of older kids offering me free drugs. "Here kid... try this..."
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bowsman View Post
    I got hooked on BC the same way, in fact, I ended up buying the one I was loaned. It kind of reminds me of being in elementary school in the early 80's, and being warned of older kids offering me free drugs. "Here kid... try this..."
    J.Lane Pryce

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

A peck of picks has a nice ring to it ... but something scary about a peck of Blue Chip picks, my wallet is convulsing just thinking about it
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

With guac! Oh...

I finally broke down and bought a Blue Chip CT-55 recently as well as some Wegen TF140s. I had been using Dunlop Primetone 1.4mm with my own speed bevel. I must say that the Blue Chip is indeed everything it is claimed to be. Better than everything else I've ever tried. I wish that wasn't the case because I am a very poor man and now worry about losing my CT-55.

I have to say that my second runner-up in all my testing on my Loar 520 vs w/ exp74s is the Dunlop Big Stubby 2.0mm!
    Weird.
    Peace

A late friend gave me my first BC. Been hooked since then. But I still swap around. These days, my Django picks get the majority of the time on both mandolin & guitar. With the occasional foray into Red Bear or Wegen land.
    Actually, could be happy with any of them. Just lucky to have the ability to pig out on picks.

My first BC was the TAD50 (still use it quite often)... Recently purchased a CT55 (not a 'huge' difference). I really just don't care for the sound or feel of the hundred or so other types I have.
    2014 Gibson 'Harvey' F5G
    1917 Gibson F2
    2013 'The' Loar LM600VS
    2013 Morgan Monroe 4FJ
    Blue Chip Picks
    The Scallywag Social Club

9. The following members say thank you to KGreene for this post:

I wouldn't count on walking into any music store and finding a Blue Chip pick. I've never seen them in stores.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

I'm a 'Blue Chip-er' for life.

Others rant and rave about this and that, but...

I've found the most wonderful balance of... speed, slipperiness across the strings and stickiness between the fingers, and most important of all...

TONE!
    Incomparable, so far.

This is THE cheapest part of the equation, i.e. the mandolin, you, your music, your audience...To have a pick that puts it all together is worth the price over and over.

Billy

billypackardmandolin.com

- - - Updated - - -

file:///Users/williampackard/Desktop/IMG_1959.jpg
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Gibson F4 Hybrid #1, D. Harvey 2009
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Numerous wonderful guitars

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Billy Packard For This Useful Post:

i absolutely agree. i have the 40,50 and 60 for different tunes and mood. i also use the original Dawg pick for colour - its much heavier. Miles

My first and only BC is the TAD60-1R. I caved and bought it when BC did a free international shipping offer, and to my recollection, I did not get stung for it (no tax or handling fees). Was feeling so devil-may-care when I bought it, I had it engraved and got some of their pick holders. It's the pick I always return to most. I don't have an absolute favourite pick as I like to switch up between Primetones, Red Bear, Wegen, Hawk, Gold Gravity, etc etc. But I probably use that BC most out of all of them.

I lost it for an afternoon once...that wasn't a nice feeling. I spent ages looking for it all over the house and garden. My family didn't understand why I was getting so serious about a mandolin pick... Found it in the end, in an obvious and stupid place.

I'd love to get another one someday or maybe get a different model like the CT-55...but I am forever wary of those nasty tax and handling fees...

Blog Entries

Yes I'm a Blue Chip convert, like some of the V-picks but also like the picks from "THE PICK GUY" -he uses old tortoise shell he gets/reclaims from antique things such as box's, brushes, mirrors etc... Great picks, I bought a few. some frown on these but no NEW turtle is harmed. I think its the same way as old fossilized ivory...

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    I wouldn't count on walking into any music store and finding a Blue Chip pick. I've never seen them in stores.
    Respectfully, what is your point?

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Packard View Post
    I'm a 'Blue Chip-er' for life.

I've found the most wonderful balance of... speed, slipperiness across the strings and stickiness between the fingers, and most important of all...

TONE!

Billy

billypackardmandolin.com

- - - Updated - - -

file:///Users/williampackard/Desktop/IMG_1959.jpg
    That is exactly what I have experienced as well Billy, just as you stated. It is strange how it glides off the strings, somehow pucking a note at the last microsecond, while sticking gently between the fingers. It is almost mystical.

I hope there is still a better material and design out there, but until I find it, I'm staying with Blue Chip.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RustyMadd View Post
    Respectfully, what is your point?
    I think Brick is referring to Bill's comment about picking up some Blue Chips the next time he's Stateside, and that if they're not commonly found in shops he'll likely have to place an order when he's here and have them posted to the US address he's staying at so as to avoid overseas shipping, taxes etc.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

19. The following members say thank you to Jill McAuley for this post: