Thread: Eastman MD305A

Default Eastman MD305A

I recently acquired an Eastman MD305A mando. This is my first mando but I play guitar also. The only complaint I have is that the tuners are a bear. Not worried as I can switch them out if I want to. I also purchased a new Snark tuner, upgraded model from what I already had. I am amazed at the sensitivity and accuracy of this tuner, though it made me crazy last night. Add that to the rough tuners and I spent 1 hour just getting this mando tuned. That being said this so-called entry-level mando is AWESOME! Yes, I know there are much more expensive and better models. But for the money I am so happy with the sound, the projection, the playability. And the classic look of the satin finish really does it for me. So any newbies out there wondering what to consider, take a look at the Eastmans. They truly are fine instruments. I am sold on this brand. And I did so much research before purchasing. Thank you to Dennis at the Mandolin Store in Arizona for his assistance with this purchase. I see more mandolins in my future...MAS is an aggressive condition!

Default Re: Eastman MD305A

I seen two of them on today`s classifieds....in the $350 range...I`d like to try one myself but I always have to first play anything I buy...

Willie

3. The following members say thank you to Willie Poole for this post:

Good choice! I love the look of the 305.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

My 305 has lovely tuners -- maybe you got one with bad tuners? I like mine a lot as well -- i'm especially happy with the modern neck and the matte finish. Really, really nice instruments for the money.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

grover 309 tuners (from stewmac) up the ratio, made a huge difference for me.

That and a good setup and my Eastmans have been great.
    Davey Stuart tenor guitar (based on his 18" mandola design).
    Eastman MD-604SB with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, various Zooms.
    Amps: THR-10, Sony XB-20.

The 305 is a stand out value. I love these!

The tuners are one of the only areas where it actually is a compromise to the higher models. The cast tailpiece, doesn't matter much.

What you are describing is fairly typical, though your 305 tuners may or may not be a bit worse than average.

What you are feeling is binding under tension. They are stiff to begin with, but under full tension they can be tough to turn smoothly. Overall, this doesn't usually impact the tuning. I setup a lot of 304/305/315 models and never have problems getting them in tune. I also use a highly sensitive tuner that drives most people nuts. I think there is an adjustment period to get used to the feel.

Great choice of mandolin!
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

I bought mine used over 4 years ago I think. Its holding up fine. The tuners are cheap but they work. Once homed in, mine stays in tune very well.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

I have an MD 315 (the F-style of the 305), and absolutely love it. It's my first mandolin and I learned a lot about starter instruments here on the Café.

My tuners are fairly stable - acceptable, but it's clearly one of the places they chose to cut corners to keep the cost down (the tailpiece being the other).

Are the Grover 309's mentioned a direct replacement or is drilling needed? If they are drop-ins, I may try a set.

Quote Originally Posted by spud3 View Post
    I have an MD 315 (the F-style of the 305), and absolutely love it. It's my first mandolin and I learned a lot about starter instruments here on the Café.

My tuners are fairly stable - acceptable, but it's clearly one of the places they chose to cut corners to keep the cost down (the tailpiece being the other).

Are the Grover 309's mentioned a direct replacement or is drilling needed? If they are drop-ins, I may try a set.
    Here's a set of the Grover 309 F style for $50.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Grover-309FN...-/401307480325
    They should drop right in to the existing post holes. You may need to replace the bushing, but most often, not necessary. You most likely will need to drill new screw holes