Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Prairie Home Companion officially dead?

Default Re: Prairie Home Companion officially dead?

Just heard this weekend that there are at least two new shows, scheduled for May 13, and May 20.

So I guess it's not over yet.

It ain't over until the fat mandolinist plays, right?
    Dr H
    -----
    "I have nothing to say, and I am saying it, and that is poetry." -- John Cage

Quote Originally Posted by BradKlein View Post
    Well the title of the thread for one thing.
    Um... the title of the thread is a question.

PHC is not even rumored to be anything but doing fine.
    Maybe not where you live; I've heard such rumors here.

Look: A wildly popular show, which for 40 years had the same wildly popular host, suddenly changes hands, passed off to a relative kid half the original host's age. The format of the show changes -- not drastically, but significantly. The time slot for the past 20 years or so (at least around here), is suddenly changed to a less advantageous slot. The new host puts out a handful of new shows, and then goes into multiple re-runs for over four months.

Under the circumstances I think I might be forgiven for wondering if APM, NPR, OPB, or all three were entertaining a notion to put a stake through the heart of PHC.

ANY major transition in public radio is EXTREMELY hard to succeed at. It's a very conservative medium, traditionally, in terms of listening habits and audience. Which is why there is so much less change and so much slower than in commercial radio or television.
    <Political content removed. Violates forum posting guidelines>

It's never been easier to start up a new show in public radio - podcasting presents an unprecedented new 'on ramp', and thousands of start ups are in the works. Very few will have the legs of the familiar national broadcast shows, but some winners will emerge. Feel free to enter the race if you have a great idea.

I totally get that one will either like or dislike Garrison, and the same goes for Thile - but it's been a very smooth transition - all things considered ;-) . I know that some stations took this opportunity to drop the show, and they were probably ones where the programmers had wanted to ditch PHC for years but, see above: conservative, listening habits, et c. Those decisions had little or nothing to do with Thile.
    I like the show; I liked Keillor, and I like Thile -- which is why I was wondering about the show's fate.

I have to say, though, that it doesn't look like the powers-that-be are trying to make things easy for Thile. The time change sounds like a local thing, but to throw the show into reruns after just a handful of new shows have aired doesn't strike me as a good way to keep an audience -- or attract a new one.
    Dr H
    -----

Blog Entries

Rumors here are still in the "have you heard that amazing mandolinist? ..." stage.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

One way to satisfy a rumor would be to go to the source, in this case a clip the the Feb 18, 2017 show- for those out there who missed it.....

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Upis Land For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dr H View Post
    I like the show; I liked Keillor, and I like Thile -- which is why I was wondering about the show's fate.

I have to say, though, that it doesn't look like the powers-that-be are trying to make things easy for Thile. The time change sounds like a local thing, but to throw the show into reruns after just a handful of new shows have aired doesn't strike me as a good way to keep an audience -- or attract a new one.
    If nothing else, Keillor, who hand-picked his replacement, is in Thile's corner. Didn't Thile first come on APHC back in 1996 when he was 15 years old?

Regarding the topic title... there definitely was the idea that APHC was *unofficially* dead embedded in it, whether intentionally or not, in spite of the show itself having announced the renewal more than two months before this topic was started. There's even announcements on the APHC website about tickets to upcoming shows in May and then the new season in October.
    ----

Playing a funky oval-hole scroll-body mandolin, several mandolins retuned to CGDA, three CGDA-tuned Flatiron mandolas, two Flatiron mandolas tuned as octave mandolins,and a six-course 25.5" scale CGDAEB-tuned Ovation Mandophone.

Love mandola?
    Join the Mandola Social Group!

Quote Originally Posted by Upis Land View Post
    One way to satisfy a rumor would be to go to the source, in this case a clip the the Feb 18, 2017 show- for those out there who missed it.....
    Indeed. It's a new show format and new host for a landmark institution that's settled into uniform concrete, so it's natural that the producers are justifiably nervous and only green light a half-length, probationary, wait and see mini-season to validate that the creator's hand picked young-un successor (with a rep for being flighty and overly enthusiastic despite any genius-like tendencies) can pull it off.

The new show is quite well received (despite the expected traditionalist grumblers) and so a new full season is a go in October as is tradition. Until then, instead of replaying best-ofs of the old, put out to pasture show, re-runs of the abbreviated new season are de rigueur to help net as many new fans as possible while reminding existing listeners of the high quality of the broadcast. Basic math indicates that replay repeats between the seasons will mostly be twice apiece (with a few heavy hitters thrice) so exhaustion should be minimal.

Thile himself said he expected to lose one million of the show's regular listeners but hoped to garner 2 million new ones. Ambitious sure, but at least he's making a solid run at it.

C.
    Northfield F5S Amber #347 - 'Squeeze'
    Mann EM-5 Hollow Body - Gimme Moore
    Kentucky KM-270 - Not just for whisky
    Flatiron 1N Pancake - Not just for breakfast
    Epiphone Mandobird IV - Djangly
    Cozart 8-string e-mando - El Ch(e)apo
    Lanikai LB6-S Banjolele (tuned GDAE) - Plinky and the Brane

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Daniels View Post
    Indeed. It's a new show format and new host for a landmark institution that's settled into uniform concrete, so it's natural that the producers are justifiably nervous and only green light a half-length, probationary, wait and see mini-season to validate that the creator's hand picked young-un successor (with a rep for being flighty and overly enthusiastic despite any genius-like tendencies) can pull it off.
    Fortunately the producers are apparently satisfied.

The new show is quite well received (despite the expected traditionalist grumblers) and so a new full season is a go in October as is tradition. Until then, instead of replaying best-ofs of the old, put out to pasture show, re-runs of the abbreviated new season are de rigueur to help net as many new fans as possible while reminding existing listeners of the high quality of the broadcast. Basic math indicates that replay repeats between the seasons will mostly be twice apiece (with a few heavy hitters thrice) so exhaustion should be minimal.
    I can see how replaying the previous seasons might confuse those who arent aware of the change in spite of the show itself and the announcements on it.

Regarding those grumblers...

Thile himself said he expected to lose one million of the show's regular listeners but hoped to garner 2 million new ones. Ambitious sure, but at least he's making a solid run at it.
    ...I have heard Thile say that if he isn't satisfying the traditionalists now, he would be just as unlikely to have satisfied them by being a bad imitation of Keillor, so he is better off just putting on the best show he can. Those who only want Keillor just have to live with the reality of Keillor having left without having consulted them.
    ----

Playing a funky oval-hole scroll-body mandolin, several mandolins retuned to CGDA, three CGDA-tuned Flatiron mandolas, two Flatiron mandolas tuned as octave mandolins,and a six-course 25.5" scale CGDAEB-tuned Ovation Mandophone.

Love mandola?
    Join the Mandola Social Group!

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Explorer For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

As Mark Twain said.

The entire staff
    funny....

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

It ain't over until the fat mandolinist plays, right?
    I guess I'll stop playing so the show doesn't end then. I quite like it.

There was "political content" in my post??
    Dr H
    -----

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer View Post
    If nothing else, Keillor, who hand-picked his replacement, is in Thile's corner. Didn't Thile first come on APHC back in 1996 when he was 15 years old?
    Don't remember the exact date, but yeah, it was something like that. I listened to that show, live.

Regarding the topic title... there definitely was the idea that APHC was *unofficially* dead embedded in it, whether intentionally or not, in spite of the show itself having announced the renewal more than two months before this topic was started. There's even announcements on the APHC website about tickets to upcoming shows in May and then the new season in October.
    Again, I didn't hear the episode quoted above, so I was unaware of the announcement. As far as being "unofficially dead" -- yeah, that's what it usually seems like to me when a program -- of any sort -- suddenly goes into several months of re-runs after a handful of new shows. If no new shows are being made, then the program is effectively dead; I just wanted to know if that state of affairs was going to be permanent, or if there was hope of resurrection in sight.

I am pleased to hear that there is.
    Dr H
    -----

Think Their season is about as long as the NHL?
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Blog Entries

or if there was hope of resurrection in sight.
    Or perhaps a complete lack of any problem at all.

The entire staff
    funny....

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

If no new shows are being made, then the program is effectively dead;
    C'mon. New PHC shows are made live. They can't just stay on air all the time.

So When School lets out for summer vacation, the school is officially, dead?
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandroid For This Useful Post:

Well: our local NPR carries Best of Car Talk every Saturday, and Tom Magliozzi is, officially, dead. Honestly, I can't listen to his voice coming out of the radio, years after he passed away, bantering with his brother Ray and answering questions from callers who, for all I know, may be dead too.

I'm one who thought Prairie Home Companion would shut down after Keillor retired; it was so much his personal vehicle, and a reflection of his views, taste, and sense of humor. I'm not a regular follower, but when I've dipped into the new series, I've been happily surprised by how well Thile's -- much different -- personality fits into the format. I definitely don't want to view it as a "mandolin show," despite T's virtuosity, but the musicians he's booked and the sketches in which he's participated show that there's life in the ol' show yet.

Staging and recording a live show is a big project, and PHC moves around the country, making it even more of a task. The NPR quiz show Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me recorded a show in Rochester a few months ago, and my friends who attended were surprised at how complicated it was -- and it doesn't involve music, rehearsed skits, or sound effects. They taped over two hours for a one-hour show -- of course, they don't broadcast live -- and there were takes and retakes and all kinds of things we don't know about if we're not present at the recording.

Hope PHC carries on -- Thile too...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

FYI: New and live pre-second season PHC being broadcast tonight at 6E/5C. Since it's at home base Fitzgerald you can also watch the show on YouTube.

Thile proving again his rising status as a tastemaker pulling a wide variety of guest acts. A possible bellwether show for the level of quality going forward? We'll see (hear).

C.
    Northfield F5S Amber #347 - 'Squeeze'
    Mann EM-5 Hollow Body - Gimme Moore
    Kentucky KM-270 - Not just for whisky
    Flatiron 1N Pancake - Not just for breakfast
    Epiphone Mandobird IV - Djangly
    Cozart 8-string e-mando - El Ch(e)apo
    Lanikai LB6-S Banjolele (tuned GDAE) - Plinky and the Brane

Blog Entries

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

I listened on the way home from work today. It seems to be alive and kicking.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

26. The following members say thank you to MediumMando5722 for this post:

This reminds me a bit of this thread.

"It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

They'll probably do fine.

I happen to be one of the new listeners Thile brought in. Keillor, while brilliant, was too laid back for me (although I understand that was part of his appeal). Thile's show thrills me to no end. Love the core band and singers (Sarah and Aoife). Love his taste in guests. And I'm amazed at his ability as a songwriter -- that song of the week thing isn't easy to do. I usually watch the show as re-run clips on the PHC website, but caught the Pasadena show in January live. Amazing.

I think the show is building a bigger audience. And, yes, a new and younger audience that will take the show through the next 10 or more years. Certainly has me locked in now, and I'm 66.

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

The core band will be different this year, as everyone has their own projects they'll be on, but they'll always be great players! Yesterday's show was nice, Chris seemed more relaxed and let things flow a bit. The music will always be great, it was with Keillor, and Chris seems to have the same breadth of variety now as opposed to just picking his friends and contemporaries. Not sure about the "tastemaker" tag, unless you don't know of the musicians he's booking, but they're all there because they've paid their dues and have a good following already. Based on last evening, I think the show has improved a bit from Chris's first season, and should keep getting better.

Well, since everyone has an opinion...

I thought PHC was wonderful. I've listened to it forever. BUT it was a bit slow at times and seemed to be geting even slower and I think GK knew it and tried to close it down for awhile but there were just too many fans. GK is a great story teller and a great story writer. Loved his monologues. But the skits were old and tired and not entertaining. And he does not have a "lead vocal" voice.

CT, so far, has the opposite problem. His voice and music is great. His story telling...not so much. I think he tried too hard to emulate GK with the repeated words and slowness. Instead he needs to learn to tell a story with his own style. He is smart. He will figure that out. For a first year, he did a great job. He keeps pulling in top notch musicians many of which the world has never heard (although of course we know well) and he pulls in world-known favorites too. People will watch the snippets for the music. They were smart to pull in the comics to do their monologue. I hope that continues.

Plus, they are taking full advantage of the internet. Notice they post the show in its entirety but more important, they break it down into individual songs and segments that you can click. This allows the A.D.D. generations to watch the highlights and cut out the slow parts. AND the advertisers dont care because they are still on the internet page. More and more of the revenue will likely come from the internet.

I think there is a niche for a modern take on the old fashion "variety show" and I think Theile , once he gains confidence, is able to relax and find his own cadence as opposed to trying to copy GK's, this could eventually evolve to be a near perfect formula for it.
    Last edited by Astro; May-14-2017 at 8:19am.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

I'm agreeing with Astro here regarding CT's delivery. It'll come, though, already better than last year. I think the key for him is to relax, and just not try too hard, maybe not even "try" at all. Think of the great radio voices, like Jean Shepherd or Keillor in his young days, and it's like you're sitting in a bar and they're just talking to you. It's effortless. All CT needs to do is relax, step aside and let the musicians play their music without trying to be in the mix, don't worry about being cool or hipster-edgy, or referencing mandolins, and just let it flow. He's got the natural skills, so it'll be fine.

34. The following members say thank you to Charlieshafer for this post:

Astro