Thread: Hello a newbie soon to be mandolin owner here

Default Hello a newbie soon to be mandolin owner here

I'm in the process of selling one of my guitars to get a mandolin.
    Initially it was to get an Ibanez RG!! but after some soul searching I realised I have a guitar that can do all the Rg can do and adding a mandolin to my arsenal will give me so much more.

There is a local shop here in Galway that has a fair few mandolins to look at but my initial research is telling me to get the Loar LM 700 with setup and Cumberland bridge.

I used to have a cheap mandolin when I needed to play a couple Steve Earle songs in one of my old bands but it really wasn't good. I know people will say I'll get more for my money with an A style but like so many others I really want an F style.

I look forward to my journey and sharing with you all

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Default Re: Hello a newbie soon to be mandolin owner here

Quote Originally Posted by Posterboy View Post
    I used to have a cheap mandolin when I needed to play a couple Steve Earle songs
    That wouldn't be Galway Girl would it? ;-) Great tune. I used to play a whistle solo in place of the fiddles in a band I was in.
    Have fun with that mandolin! By all means get the setup, but you might be perfectly happy with the stock bridge. That can always easily be added later.
    My wife and I had the great pleasure of visiting Galway a few years on a tour and would love to go back sometime.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

Welcome to you.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Busman View Post
    That wouldn't be Galway Girl would it? ;-) Great tune. I used to play a whistle solo in place of the fiddles in a band I was in.
    Have fun with that mandolin! By all means get the setup, but you might be perfectly happy with the stock bridge. That can always easily be added later.
    My wife and I had the great pleasure of visiting Galway a few years on a tour and would love to go back sometime.
    It was Johnny Come Lately and Copperhead Rd. If I never heard Galway Girl every again.........

5. The following members say thank you to Posterboy for this post:

Blog Entries

Welcome to the Cafe. I hope you love your new mandolin when it comes.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

7. The following members say thank you to JEStanek for this post:

welcome to the café!
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

Welcome Posterboy.

I was able to check out both of the mandolins that are in my sights at my local acoustic music shop. The Eastman MD315 and The Loar Lm700 VS. The Eastman played easier but that was just due to a lower action, there doesn't seem to be much in it tonally between the two. It's going to be a Sophie's choice situation once I have the money.

I picked up mandolin about a year ago after playing electric guitar for 20+ years. Since then, I've given two of my electrics to my oldest son, and am considering selling another to fund an acoustic. Get ready to do other crazy things, like spending $35 on a pick

I've never played a The Loar, but my MD315 has treated me very well.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Moi Posterboy! Lots of great stuff on this site that will help you get started

Welcome to our wild, wacky world. Getting a good set up on your new mando is a good idea. Have fun.

I finally scraped the money together and after another test drive of each mandolin the Eastman won my heart. It's being set up and having the CA bridge installed over the next couple days.

15. The following members say thank you to Posterboy for this post:

It was Johnny Come Lately and Copperhead Rd. If I never heard Galway Girl every again.........
    I hear ya, but it IS a crowd pleaser
    www.busmanwhistles.com

Cool. I'm really happy with my 315. I recommend an arm rest. It really improved mine.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

19. The following members say thank you to Posterboy for this post:

Nice-looking mandolin. Congratulations, and enjoy it. Did you get it from Moloney Music, by chance?

I did, I'm always bitching about how Ireland is awlful for musical instruments and we always have to order unseen online, I was very fortunate that this time Moloney Music had both of the mandolins I was interested to check out in stock in my city.

I did, I'm always bitching about how Ireland is awlful for musical instruments and we always have to order unseen online, I was very fortunate that this time Moloney Music had both of the mandolins I was interested to check out in stock in my city.
    Looks nice. I asked about Moloney because I bought an OM from Kieran and was very happy with the whole process. Enjoy your new mandolin.

Registered User Steve VandeWater's Avatar

Nice looking mandolin. I love that satin finish they use on the 315. I wish they did the same on their higher end models.
    Welcome to the Cafe! You'll soon be hooked
    It ain't gotta be perfect, as long as it's perfect enough!

Blog Entries

If I never heard Galway Girl every again.........
    It's a shame about Galway Girl. To me, it seems like that song was Steve Earle's return to sobriety and sanity and folk music. A great thing that was, too. Too bad it's overexposed.
    belbein

The bad news is that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. The good news is that what kills us makes it no longer our problem

Quote Originally Posted by Steve VandeWater View Post
    Nice looking mandolin. I love that satin finish they use on the 315. I wish they did the same on their higher end models.
    Welcome to the Cafe! You'll soon be hooked
    I like the satin finish too, but note that if you plant a finger or two on the top of the mandolin, that area will soon become glossy.
    www.busmanwhistles.com

26. The following members say thank you to Paul Busman for this post:

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Welcome ...... enjoy the journey... R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Busman View Post
    I like the satin finish too, but note that if you plant a finger or two on the top of the mandolin, that area will soon become glossy.
    That's great advice! I learned that recently with my Loar LM-310! (also satin) Fortunately I also built an armrest recently, so resting my pinky is a thing of the past!

I strongly suggest getting an armrest (Cumberland has them for like $22 I think) not only to save on shiny spots (haha!) but because it's so much better for your technique and arm positioning. I've played guitar for 30 years or more, and this past couple weeks with the armrest is the first time I've been able to get by without "pinky planting" (at least on mandolin!).

Mine is pretty tall though, like half an inch. Not sure if a thinner one would have as much of an effect as far as raising the positioning of your right hand as it hovers above the strings. Someone else who knows better can chime in, hopefully. I think I might have coincidentally made it similar to the McClung armest, by height alone, but minus the angle.

Quote Originally Posted by Billkwando View Post
    Mine is pretty tall though, like half an inch. Not sure if a thinner one would have as much of an effect as far as raising the positioning of your right hand as it hovers above the strings. Someone else who knows better can chime in, hopefully. I think I might have coincidentally made it similar to the McClung armest, by height alone, but minus the angle.
    +1 on the armrest and good point raised concerning height of the armrest. It may be a completely personal thing that varies from person to person, but a thicker/higher armrest turned out to be better for me personally. I started out with a CA when I bought my fantastic tall boy bridge from them. While I like their armrest very much, I found myself needing more height. It was a shame because I preferred the discreet look of the CA (not a fan of huge armrests). I eventually got a McClung given all the praise here. It's bigger than the CA but not so much as to put me off. Most important thing is the angle on it and the height. It is a really comfortable armrest.

By the way, loving the photos in this thread, I've never seen two satin finish F-styles so nicely captured. Beautiful Eastman and Loar!
    Paul Shippey Tone Mandolin
    Paul Hathway Octave Mandola
    Montana Lutherie Ranger Mandolin
    Yamaha Stage Custom Drum Kit

30. The following members say thank you to Kalasinar for this post: