Thread: Carl Fischer Vintage (100 yrs?) Broken Tuners

Default Carl Fischer Vintage (100 yrs?) Broken Tuners

I am a seasoned guitar player and interested in mandolin. I just inherited this old mandolin. No cracks, good fret board, Italian style bowl, all around great condition. But the tuning pegs aren't working. One had the gear fall off, a couple worked, and a couple worked, but were really tough. Any recommendations on replacement tuners?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1433.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	156174

Name:	IMG_1432.JPG.jpeg 
Views:	143 
Size:	922.8 KB 
ID:	156173

Name:	IMG_1406.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	450.2 KB 
ID:	156175

Name:	IMG_1407.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	406.5 KB 
ID:	156176

Default Re: Carl Fischer Vintage (100 yrs?) Broken Tuners

Before you try and replace, I think repairs may be better. There are several threads on tuner repair if you do a search. Frequently just removal, cleanin and tightening things up will get them working again. If you do need replacments, you will have to measure the distance between the centers of the string posts as there are different sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevin View Post
    Before you try and replace, I think repairs may be better. There are several threads on tuner repair if you do a search. Frequently just removal, cleanin and tightening things up will get them working again. If you do need replacments, you will have to measure the distance between the centers of the string posts as there are different sizes.
    I'll look into threads on repairing tuner heads. Thanks!

They are all very tough to turn and some gears have cracks in them.

I discovered vintage tuners for sale, they seem to be the same size. I am tempted to buy a set and hope for the best.

They recommend new bushings, but I hope that isn't needed, cause they are $18 a pop.

I have replaced tuners on old Gibson's before you could get the newer ones with the correct spacing. Since the tuners were new I hjav no problem modifying them. I cut them into 2 or 4 pieces depending on the mandolin I was putting them in. Simply cutting thru the screw hole allows spacing change that it usually enough to make them fit and you can still use the screw holes to secure the tuners to the mandolin. I have had a set that I cut on my old Gibson for 20 years at least.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

5. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by tornado____bison View Post
    I'll look into threads on repairing tuner heads. Thanks!

They are all very tough to turn and some gears have cracks in them.

I discovered vintage tuners for sale, they seem to be the same size. I am tempted to buy a set and hope for the best.

They recommend new bushings, but I hope that isn't needed, cause they are $18 a pop.
    StewMac's Golden Age Restoration tuners are usually best for Gibsons, tho it is possible they might fit your bowlback, it is also possible that the shafts might be smaller on the originals and the headstock might also be thinner than the Gibsons. Of course you could drill out the holes larger and cut the plate if the spacing is different. OTOH I would think that you could find a set from some similar broken bowlback.

You are lucky it does not have inset tuners. Those are even more difficult to match.

I am not sure what you are talking about when you say $18 bushings. The tuners come with proper bushings. They do talk about readers and drill hits for the holes but they also want to sell you tools.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1