Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Made my own strap with paracord and chainmail.Your DIY equipment?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Made my own strap with paracord and chainmail.Your DIY equipm

I find it hard to imagine that those chain mail links of aluminum will fail under the weight of a mandolin. Potential for scratches, sure. You'll scratch it up some picking most likely. Deep gouges from this chain mail, not likely. Keep it off the mandolin in the case. Do you CARE if you get some scratches? That's for you to decide. Things to avoid around your finish are insect repellents, fireworks, water, and drunks. Dammit, you're a bard. The chainmail fits that identity. Play on, sister! Embrace your style!

Roll d20 to save vs scratches. +2 if you play at a Renn-Faire.

Jamie

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Always Improving Cecily_Mandoliner's Avatar

Here is one of my DIY straps that I wove on an inkle band loom. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	msf13_inkleband.JPG 
Views:	145 
Size:	315.4 KB 
ID:	156447Click image for larger version. 

Name:	msf13_instrumentStrap.JPG 
Views:	180 
Size:	248.4 KB 
ID:	156448
    Weber Bitterroot F-Style Buckskin (2011)
    J Bovier A5-T
    Kentucky KM272 Vintage
    Trinity College Mandolin, Octave Mandolin, and Mandola
    Luna Guitars Passionflower Acoustic-Electric
    Taylor GSmini Guitar
    Ibanez Mini-dreadnought Tenor Guitar
    Gold Tone Cripple Creek Irish Tenor Banjo
    Klos Mandolin (on order)

3. The following members say thank you to Cecily_Mandoliner for this post:

Real Life D&D Bard MollyMarieMandolin's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JEStanek View Post
    Dammit, you're a bard. The chainmail fits that identity. Play on, sister! Embrace your style!

Roll d20 to save vs scratches. +2 if you play at a Renn-Faire.

Jamie

Jamie
    lol Thanks. I love the Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire. I'm excited I was just accepted as a volunteer for the Celtic Fling event at the same property because I'll getting two Ren Faire tickets as compensation! I'm loving the silly names in the lineup of Celtic bands that will be playing at Celtic Fling. http://www.parenfaire.com/celtic/bands.php

I'm weird enough I've seriously considered dressing in a full bard getup with my mandolin for the Renaissance Faire. I'm short and stocky though so I'm built more like a dwarf lol, might go with a female dwarf fighter look and enter the costume contest for the "Myths and Legends" weekend.
    Screw it. I'm a bard now.

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

I simply use an old leather belt from the thrift store - put a hole on one side for the end-pin, and loop through a leather shoelace on the other side to tie up the neck or the scroll. . .
    Exactly what I did, until my family decided I needed a fancy and expensive Lakota Leather strap. While I appreciate the gift, my old re-purposed thrift-shop belts worked just fine, and they were about 1/40th of the cost....but I guess that wasn't the point.
    Living’ in the Mitten

Blog Entries

I used to help a friend who was a Scottish/Irish importer sell things at the Celtic Fling (Sweaters, Jewelry, Kilts etc). We were always in a pop up tent and amazed at all the horribly sunburned people that came by. It's a fun event. Many of the bands on the line up have been playing there for YEARS! You might as well dress up and have fun. Forget the naysayers who don't like mandolins at renn faires. They're hardly historically accurate. They're just fun.

On a related note, I have a couple of the books from Allan Alexander for Medieval Music and Renaissance Tunes. They are not horribly hard to play and include standard notation and tab. You can get the ones with CDs to hear how the tunes go as well.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JEStanek View Post
    I used to help a friend who was a Scottish/Irish importer sell things at the Celtic Fling (Sweaters, Jewelry, Kilts etc). We were always in a pop up tent and amazed at all the horribly sunburned people that came by. It's a fun event. Many of the bands on the line up have been playing there for YEARS! You might as well dress up and have fun. Forget the naysayers who don't like mandolins at renn faires. They're hardly historically accurate. They're just fun.

On a related note, I have a couple of the books from Allan Alexander for Medieval Music and Renaissance Tunes. They are not horribly hard to play and include standard notation and tab. You can get the ones with CDs to hear how the tunes go as well.

Jamie
    Sunburned people fit in at a Celtic thing, right? I have at least a little Irish heritage though my skin's certainly pale enough! :P Thanks for the tip about medieval and renaissance tunes, I'll have to look into something like that.

I'm supposed to dress simply while volunteering for Celtic Fling and not carry much, probably won't bring the mandolin for that lol, though I got put in hospitality, probably because of how excited I sounded in my application haha. I've been doing the Irish course on duolingo.com and I'm picking some of it up okay, maybe I'll get to put some Irish greetings to use! Though I didn't even mean it as a joke at first but I was talking to my husband about learning Irish and said something like, "It's hard to get used to how the words blend together. Maybe it'd be easier drunk. ...Wait." lol

8. The following members say thank you to MollyMarieMandolin for this post:

I prefer a Bailey strap. Nothing to ding the instrument. I had a Neotek with little plastic clips. It always seemed to ding my old mando.

DIY'ed a bunch of straps. Old belts are useful, as are leather scraps I used to pick up at a local crafts store (Dobro straps have to be longer than nearly anyone's belt). Leather boot laces for bowl-backs, nylon straps with snap-hooks on each end for banjos (snap the hooks around the brackets). I have a big plastic bag in my junk drawer with potential strap materials -- thongs, strings, miscellaneous leather and fabric straps, whatever looks promising.

I've had leatherworkers make me straps with my name on them, as well, just to satisfy the ol' ego... Also have had personalized straps made as gifts for fellow musicians. Always a nice touch, and cheaper and less permanent than having MOP letters inlaid on the fingerboard.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Certified schooner-rat Neoclinus's Avatar

Not exactly DIY for the average hobbyist, but this guy has done some pretty darn impressive stuff. I can't imagine the time and dexterity it would take to make that kind of thing, and I like doing fancy knot work! Could be fun to attempt something like that for the particularly motivated though...http://www.frayedknotarts.com/specials.html
    Here's a closeup of one his knotwork straps:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	56-line.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	211.7 KB 
ID:	156809
    Did I mention that it's a 52-cord braid?
    "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all." -Douglas Adams

Elkhorn F-5 cocobolo & red cedar, 1896 Cole's Eclipse 4000 banjo, ca. 1880's S.S. Stewart 'lady Stewart' openback banjo, et al...

I just took about 50 inches worth of paracord, burned the two ends with a match to keep it from coming apart, tied a retraced figure eight knot at one end to make a loop and tied a slipknot on the other, and I'm in business.

So what does everyone prefer....attaching the strap at the headstock, or around the scroll?

Scroll
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Quote Originally Posted by chadlittle View Post
    So what does everyone prefer....attaching the strap at the headstock, or around the scroll?
    From our Posting Guidelines:

Vendors: for the good of our community we ask that all vendors of mandolin/music related products/services exercise good faith in clearly identifying themselves. Vendor participation is welcome and valued, and we expect you to be involved in discussions of your products. Visitors to the site arrive from all over the world and possess widely varying amounts of knowledge, expertise and experience with our subject matter. This is an international web site for mandolin, not a country-specific web site. All visitors should be able to clearly discern a business relationship at all times in discussions of products sold in the retail market.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

I too am of the no metal or plastic on my straps.
    All my mandolins have pickups.so takeing the strap
    On and off the endpin jack wears the hole out quickly. So the strap stays on. I used to have a nice
    Leather strap with metal conchos..it didnt take me long to realize that i am incapable of being carefull
    enough to prevent the inevitable scratch..so only
    Soft leather for this picker. Metal will eventually scratch.. very pretty strap though..

Made another strap from leather shoelaces today. I tied a small noose on one end, with a second lace secured in the loops. I was watching a Sam Bush video while I did it, so I copied his two-strand, loosely twisted strap. On the button end, I tied the second lace to the first with an overhand knot, then tied the first around the strap button.

Total cost: $3.43
    Total time: Maybe ten minutes

I typically dislike thin straps, but oddly, it's more comfortable than the other, four-strand braided strap I made. It'll likely end up coiled in my gig bag as a spare, but sometimes I just like making things.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chadlittle View Post
    I don't have a scroll so headstock it is lol.

I'm glad this thread has taken off a little. I haven't gotten around to replying much I'm enjoying hearing about other DIY equipment stuff though!