Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm REALLY excited!

Default Re: I'm REALLY excited!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	m cello 3.JPG 
Views:	144 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	159130
    It's here! It arrived Wednesday. I was out of town for work until last (Thursday) night. I opened the box, tuned it up and started getting acquainted with it last night. BIG, deep sound, especially the C course. It's different, playing fur4ther up the neck than the 7th fret with the way it's built. I have to adjust. Some chords I use on mando I can't do on my cello, so there's an adjustment there too. And some of the 7th chords I use on mando to play blues and such sound muddy on the cello. It's going to be a fun challenge to get acquainted and learn this critter's quirks and gifts. At first blush I'm thinking I'll play more classical with it, and in jams and such play more bass lines and melodies.

I do plan on replacing the strings before too long. The C course sounds good, but the G course is a little dull.

My wife--not a huge fan of acoustic or folk music--says she likes the sound of my cello. So there's that.

2. The following members say thank you to BluesPreacher for this post:

fox 

It would be nice to hear some sound clips. How deep is the body? Maybe post a few more pictures? Also, that bridge looks pretty hefty. I wonder if a different bridge might affect the tone and volume.
    Last edited by Jim Garber; Jul-14-2017 at 12:23pm.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    It would be nice to hear some sound clips. How deep is the body? Maybe post a few more pictures? Also, that bridge looks pretty hefty. I wonder if a different bridge might affect the tone and volume.
    I'll record something and post it.

Yea, it's hefty. I'll take that under advisement. I could have my repair/luthier guy look at it.

Because I'm talking to Steven about a mandocello I'd love to hear sound samples of yours, or at least hear whether you're happy with the sound. I know he takes a rather workmanlike approach to his instruments so I'm wondering whether to go budget with him or save up the eight bills for a Gold Tone (or sell everything I own and take out a loan for a Weber.)

I often post the link to Wishnevsky's website when someone's asking about an affordable mandocello or octave mandolin.

I only played one of his instruments -- briefly -- at a dealer some years ago. It sounded fine; the "fit and finish" weren't elegant, but for the price it seemed a good buy. A playable, durable mandocello for less than $1K is not easy to find.

He seems to use back-and-side woods that are less commonly used than the standard mahogany/maple/rosewood we find on factory instruments, and are probably much more sustainable and domestically available. Which is also a plus.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM