Thread: The Boxcars

Default The Boxcars

Anybody caught the Boxcars on their current tour? I'm going this weekend, then they're playing near me again in June.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Default Re: The Boxcars

The band will be here in May.

http://www.littlejohnsmountainmusic.com/

I would love to see them, they are my favorite Bluegrass band.

It's been a year or two since I've seen them. It was my first chance to meet Adam Steffey live. What a great dude. We talked mandolins a little and he seemed genuinely interested in talking, not just a fan chore.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

I've never met Adam Steffey, but just watching all the videos he plays and interviews in, leaves an impression that he's a very approachable and genuine nice feller. There's a video of Adam and Danny Roberts playing a couple of tunes in maybe a workshop type deal, and both Adam and Danny miss a note along the way. Instead of acting like that just can't happen to them, they both chuckle and play on. What a great inspiration to those of us who are practicing and learning to play better.

The Boxcars show last night was pretty incredible. They played A LOT of music, about two hours, nearly non-stop. Everyone who says Adam Steffey is the nicest guy in the world is absolutely right. For someone who could very easily be full of himself and get away with it, the guy doesn't seem to have an ounce of pretense.

All of them were super cool, but I got to talk to Keith Garrett at some length. I'd heard him say in an interview that "Jeffrey's Hell" was the first song he'd ever written. He confirmed that, gave me all the back story and even played down how impressive that is. I said "Lungs" was another favorite of mine, and he told me it was a Townes Van Zandt cover and went on about how great he was.

They're playing again locally in a few months, so I can't wait to go again. If you haven't seen them, I can't recommend it highly enough.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Cool.

What mandolin was Adam on?

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    Cool.

What mandolin was Adam on?
    Would you believe I forgot to ask? His tuner covered the headstock, but it was a matte finish, like an Eastman or a Weber Gallatin. Dark color, not sunburst. The fretboard had block inlays, and there was considerable wear from his right ring finger rubbing against the edge, so it looked like he'd been playing it awhile.