Thread: International Shipping and/or purchase

Default International Shipping and/or purchase

Does anyone have any experience or words of wisdom regarding an international purchase of a mandolin? There is a mandolin in the classifieds located in Europe that I am interested in.

Thanks!

Default Re: International Shipping and/or purchase

Buy your own independent insurance.
    Stephen Perry

3. The following members say thank you to Stephen Perry for this post:

I'm finding that shipping into the U.S. is getting evermore difficult and complicated. For one thing, if the item is valued at more than $2,000.00 USD, A Lacey Act form will have to be filed listing all of the wood and shell products by botanical name. They will also want your phone number and Social Security number or business number and a POA (power of attorney) as well as that of the seller's.

From Canada, I also file NAFTA forms so that the buyer does not have to pay any duties. I'm pretty sure that you will have to pay some duties when bringing in something from Europe.

Good packaging can't be over stated. I'm sure that topic has been discussed here before.

Good luck.
    www.apitiusmandolins.com

What is good Phaedrus? and what is not good?, need we ask anyone to tell us these things?

USPS is pretty good, but I like DHL Express best.

If the mandolin is coming from Italy, beware ... http://pe.usps.com/text/Imm/il_008.htm

if the seller is someone who exports to USA regularly, then let them do it.

Otherwise, contact a local Colorado freight forwarder with experience in importing used instruments from Europe.
    If you like them, after talking with them, and find their price bearable, get them to arrange everything from collection to delivery.
    Experience is important. Googling the rulebook is no substitute.

It's almost always the inward side where problems are experienced, and more importantly, can be resolved.

Most of these problems are with customs and other officials over-interpreting the rule book.
    Bren

Thanks for the help everyone. I think it might be too much of a hassle/risk and too much added cost. I'm looking at the Krishot F5 in the classifieds (from Sweden). It's a beautiful looking instrument...

I live in Thailand and have shipped many instruments both to and from USA and Europe with DHL. Fast and reliable. Never had a problem. Although a bit pricey.

I wouldn't rule out importing an instrument. It would come down to payment method and who handled shipping.

If it was a safe payment method and shipping is FOB Destination, you really have no risk. Of course, this puts the seller at risk.

If there was no protection (say a bank transfer), and you had to arrange shipping, I would put a lot of thought into it before making the purchase.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

I have bought several times coming from Canada with no issues, I cannot speak to coming from other countries. I used PayPal and ended up having to pay a few extra dollars for currency conversion (somewhere between $5 - $10 dollars, not enough that I remember exactly and not a deal-breaker) but that was all, even arrived a day earlier than anticipated and in excellent condition. Just make sure the wood is allowed with the new regulations.

Well it sold so it's a moot point now. Thanks all!

Stevo - One thing that you could do for future reference,is to contact the US Customs guys & gals & ask them about importing from Europe. Arm yourself with some info. so that if you ever do decide to import an instrument,you'll at least know what you're up against,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Adrian Minarovic

I shipped several mandolins to US and found out FedEx being my favorite choice - they insure to full price (just in case the box gets lost, though I'm not sure how would they cover damages to instrument so I pack VERY carefully in sturdy plywood box lined with styrofoam).
    FedEx offers "economy" shipping from our country (and probably from other EU contries as well) which is roughly half of the price of competition (the difference is that it won't be priority 2days but can take a day or two longer which I accept as the box ALWAYS stays at the border for few days anyway... and it costs approx. 100EUR).
    I had to fill the Lacey act paperwork few times and other than finding all the latin names and calculating the weigths of parts it was no problem I email the filled papers to buyer and he has to send it to the office that calls him... No problem so far but other than ebony there were no protected species (be aware of rosewood).
    Taxes, duties etc, are all buyers business, they depend on the laws of state where he lives...
    The biggest hassle is the wait for delivery whether the buyer is satisfied.
    Bank wire payment was a bit hassle for US customers as US bank system is nowhere near European in simplicity (and lack of costs), they required some weird information but the money arrived safely as well.
    Adrian