Thread: Mandolin Camps

Default Mandolin Camps

I've been to several camps over the years. Lots of fun. I usually can pick up at least one nugget to make it worth it. But at what point does the cost outweigh what you can learn, especially in light of the tons of instructional material that is available today. I was just looking at the various camps that are being offered this year. They range in cost and amount of instruction. One camp that is basically $700 per day for two days of instruction plus food and concerts, but housing is not included. Just an observation.

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Default Re: Mandolin Camps

There might not be an answer to that.

I was just at a mando and guitar camp that costs about $400 or $500 for Friday afternoon through Sunday afternoon, food and housing included. There were about eighty students and a faculty made up of a solid crew - for instance, Frank Solivan, Don Stiernberg, and Rich Del Grosso. And a bunch of others.

Some of the students were there mainly to learn some specific new chops, but it seemed like, for most people, that wasn't as important as being just able to spend a weekend of concentrated music - playing, listening, picking up ideas, connecting with kindred spirits, swapping riffs, getting out of ruts, getting energized.

You're right, it can be more of a time and budget bite than we can all bear. It was the first time I've ever gone to a music camp. I had to stretch and don't think I'll try to manage it often. But it's not all - or even mainly - about how much you learn per dollar. So keep all those other elements in your equation when you're figuring out whether it's worth it.

And remember that people with more money can go to the $700-a-day events. In fact, that's who they're for. Their priorities are covered. The rest of us can go to more modest retreats and still get plenty out of them.

I know a guy who's run a lot of non-musical training programs over the years. He likes to say: We're all teachers, we're all learners, and class is always in session.

So you don't need a camp to learn mando, but it doesn't hurt. What's it worth? It just depends.

I'd try to think of it as a mandolin themed vacation rather than dutiful instruction or intensive course.

We cant absorb more than a thimble full per day and the rest is socializing and rubbing elbows with the mando stars. So, the amount learned per dollar is probably very low in a weekend course compared to internet instruction. But the amount of fun or entertainment experienced per dollar is hopefully way higher.

So if its worth it as a vacation- if you enjoy it that much- then its worth it. I would rather learn and play mando and music with good instructors and motivated participants than go to Disney World or sit on a beach with an umbrella drink. Its just a different entertainment choice.

If you want the most learning in a "mando-vacation" per dollar, you have to pick a camp with more days because you play a lot (and with others) for a lot of days in a row and more can stick.

And just be thankful that your passion isn't space travel.

A weekend in space with real astronauts is now available and let me tell you--Space Camp is pricey!

And the food is terrible.

So mando camp is a bargain !
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

4. The following members say thank you to Astro for this post:

I've been to two mandolin-specific "camps" but I've been to a ton of genre camps. I've found that the genre camps appear to give more bang for the buck, if that's a consideration. One of the mandolin-specific gatherings fulfilled my craving for playing with other mandolin and mandolin-type instruments enough that I repeated it for several years and would do it again if it hadn't moved -- and become too expensive. I'll probably do it again, but not for a year or two. The genre camps, on the other hand, each lasted a full week, included food and housing AND music and the ability to do touristy stuff if I wanted. That really is a vacation with the added fillup of music.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

Sitting in on any master class will prove quite useful. I've had short intense classes in piano, viola da gamba, classical guitar, recorder and all have helped all my instruments!

Or an intensive on setup and other work. I do that for people, and I suspect they hear a lot better after.
    Stephen Perry

I am finding this interesting, because I had been hoping to get to at least one day of a camp someday (with my work schedule I really can't be away for more than a day,) and the point about how much we can absorb makes me feel better about not being able to spend a longer time. I will be very selective about which day I can go (although when I have gone to other events for other hobbies, honestly it's more about getting re-energized and inspired.)

I would love to attend a music camp, I've been keeping my eyes open for some in my area of Texas.
    2016 Eastman MD515-CS

Plays Well With Others Nate Lee's Avatar

The biggest benefit of attending a music camp is the way people tend to practice when they get home from camp. Camps are usually very inspiring to attendees, who go home with a few new ideas and a lot of gumption. For many students this feeling of inspiration alone is worth the cost of the camp.

Camp can be like drinking from a water hose, and I advise students to try to take home three new ideas or techniques from each camp. If they get more, great, but mastering three new skills and leaving with a drive to practice is a success in my opinion.

Although there is a lot of great material for sale and for free online, nothing is quite like the experience of going to a great camp!
    Nate Lee
    Music Teacher
    Mandolin Player & Twin Fiddler for the Becky Buller Band.
    Proud owner of Pava mandolins #83 & #194
    www.TheNateLee.com
    www.PlayNately.com

Quote Originally Posted by banjoboy View Post
    I've been to several camps over the years. Lots of fun. I usually can pick up at least one nugget to make it worth it. But at what point does the cost outweigh what you can learn, especially in light of the tons of instructional material that is available today. I was just looking at the various camps that are being offered this year. They range in cost and amount of instruction. One camp that is basically $700 per day for two days of instruction plus food and concerts, but housing is not included. Just an observation.
    I go to a couple camps each year, cost is certainly a consideration but I look more at the instructors and would go to an expensive camp if I wanted to see a particular person. I just figure I would spend the money on another type of vacation and with the music camp I get to be with pros and other campers for a few days.

The online offerings are great nowadays but if it has to be one or the other...I feel money is better spent at camps rather than sitting in front of the computer...TEHO

Quote Originally Posted by Randi Gormley View Post
    I've been to two mandolin-specific "camps" but I've been to a ton of genre camps. I've found that the genre camps appear to give more bang for the buck, if that's a consideration. One of the mandolin-specific gatherings fulfilled my craving for playing with other mandolin and mandolin-type instruments enough that I repeated it for several years and would do it again if it hadn't moved -- and become too expensive. I'll probably do it again, but not for a year or two. The genre camps, on the other hand, each lasted a full week, included food and housing AND music and the ability to do touristy stuff if I wanted. That really is a vacation with the added fillup of music.
    Not sure what a genre camp is?

Quote Originally Posted by montana View Post
    Not sure what a genre camp is?
    Instead of "Mandolin Camp", genre camp = Bluegrass camp, folk camp, gypsy jazz camp, etc

I tend to look at camps from a cost standpoint. I know I'd have a great time, but I could get a used Masterbuilt Kentucky mandolin instead that would last me a lifetime.

So, I'd love to go, but probably won't. $25/mo. Gets me a web site with a ton of material by some really good players.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    I'd try to think of it as a mandolin themed vacation
    Yep. I'm signed up for the camp in Surfside Beach SC this summer and hoping for just that.

If I learn something and get to know some pickers even better.
    Last edited by Mark Wilson; Apr-16-2017 at 5:05pm.

Awesome, bud-ro. Between now and then, learn Janice (Dawggy number), we'll twin

Blog Entries

Yep that's a hot dog tune. I'm just a puppy

Music camp can jump-start you if you have reached a lull or a plateau in your playing, and you can pick up some additional things that a DVD won't give you. Also, some music camps have "office hours" where you can go one-on-one with your instructor for an additional dimension in your playing. The California Bluegrass Association has its annual music camp (all instruments) coming up this June (2017) in Grass Valley, CA. Also, think about how much it costs for individual lessons at say $50 an hour. Music camps offer group instruction for eight or nine hours on your instrument over the course of three or four days, but then you get "electives" such as theory, technique, improvisation, etc. besides that in one or two hour sessions. More importantly, if you don't go to music camp, how can you meet like-minded girls!
    John A. Karsemeyer

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wilson View Post
    Yep that's a hot dog tune. I'm just a puppy
    bow wow

19. The following members say thank you to AlanN for this post: