Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Red Diamond Oval on Ebay

Default Re: Red Diamond Oval on Ebay

Correct. This mandolin is serial no. 150 and it was made sometime around 1995. If it were it would a vintage series Red Diamond it would command a higher price. Morgan Music is selling this.
    Last edited by ApolloPicks; Apr-26-2017 at 8:21am.

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

I may have told this story before, 25 years ago my neighbor, a retired guy, saw me loading my band equipment for a gig and came over to talk music. He told he used to play and that he still had a 1959 Les Paul and I could come over and check it out if I wanted to. I said sure, why not, went up into his attic and there was a mint condition cherry red 1961 Gibson SG Les Paul with its original case. It was a thing of beauty. Before I could ask if he wanted to sell it, he hands me a copy of the Wall Street Journal with an article stating that late 50's Les Paul's were bringing $45K, if I remember the price correctly at the time. He explains he bought it used in 1963 and figured it was a late 50's Les Paul. (keep in mind before the internet very few people outside of the vintage "biz" had access to information used to date a guitar, so an honest mistake on his part) His guitar MAY have been worth $2500 at the time, at BEST. (which was a heck of a lot of money for a "glorified" SG!) I saw no point in correcting him, as I couldn't afford a $2500 guitar, let alone a $45K guitar, so I just said, "wow, it sure is nice!" And let it go at that. For all I know that guitar is still in the attic and he probably still wants $45K for it!
    I have a friend who owns one of these. It's the original "lawsuit" Les Paul, as Gibson re-branded the "Les Paul" name onto the SG until Lester brought suit against them and they stopped making them with the "Les Paul" engraved bell cover. They are somewhat rare, as they were only made for a couple years in the early 60s, but you are correct in that they don't command the price of a actual Les Paul.
    Living’ in the Mitten

I'd like to correct my last post (#26), but I am not sure how to edit it. The seller updated the add and the listed it as a 2002. That seems about right. The serial number is indeed #150. Don started his (Vintage) series with serial #155. Hope this clears it up.

Hi, I'm the original seller of that mandolin. I happen to come across this thread, and I just relisted it for my mother; she's in a position to sell it now and is willing to take reasonable offers.

Everyone's discussion was a good read, so thank you all for that.

Here's the new eBay link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/192600876525

The original subject of this thread, Red Diamond #74, is back on the Bay at $5K:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/192600876525
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls