Thread: Two Newbies to Mandolin

Smile Two Newbies to Mandolin

Hey y'all!

I'm new to the forum and my wife and I are new to mandolin. I've played guitar for several years, but never learned to read music. When my wife hinted that she wanted to try mandolin, I bought her an entry-level Ibanez for her birthday. After tuning it and learning to play the simplest version of "Happy Birthday", I was hooked and I ordered another one for myself.

I know very little about mandolin, but have learned a lot just from reading here and other places on the internet. I'd like to eventually hire a professional teacher, but we're starting out on the self-taught route for now and focusing on reading music. Between lessons, I appease my impatient side by practicing scales, two-finger chords, and playing pieces for which I can find tablature.

The best thing is, this is something my wife and I can do together.

===========

Default Re: Two Newbies to Mandolin

Sakamichi:

Our stories sound somewhat similar.

Many years ago my son wanted a mandolin for his birthday, and wanted ME to teach him how to play it. I reminded him that I didn't know how to play the mandolin, but he insisted that I could learn and teach him . . . and I had a whopping 30 days to figure it all out!

Long story short - I bought him an inexpensive 'Oscar Schmidt' mandolin, learned some basic chords, figured out a few licks, and within a few days I was hooked!

Welcome aboard!

I have been playing mandolin for decades, perform, play for dances, know hundreds of tunes, play lead in some groups.

I don't read music. You don't need to read music to have fun with any instrument. I have nothing against reading music my daughter plays flute in an orchestra and I can figure it out if I have to. There are many kinds of music that you can learn by playing with others or listening or on line.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pops1 For This Useful Post:

Welcome to the Cafe!
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Welcome and listen to pops1, he got it right.

Welcome to the café and I can only congratulate you on playing music with your spouse. My-husband-the-guitar-player and I have played together since our dating days many, many years ago and it's been a great bond through all the ups and downs of life. And we absolutely understand all about strings, picks, music, gigs, sore hands, the need for more and better and different instruments and other music-specific obsessions that non-musicians don't get. You two have a great time ahead of you.

You didn't say what kind of music you like to play. Different genres ask different things of its proponents. Folk music -- traditional Irish, bluegrass, old time -- don't require you to read music although it often can help you get started. Classical music means you need to read standard notation. Jazz and other genres require a good grasp of theory and chording. And of course, just noodling around means you're accessing the playful side of your nature. You have two mandolins that allow you to do all of that (provided they're well set up) plus you can play duets! Get ready for sore fingers, a bit of frustration and a great time!
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

Quote Originally Posted by Randi Gormley View Post
    You didn't say what kind of music you like to play. Different genres ask different things of its proponents.
    We're planning to do a fair bit of noodling around, but my focus will be on classical. I come from a guitar background and have been a fan of Segovia, Malmsteen, and Trans-Siberian Orchestra. I've had plenty of fun "shredding" classical music, but now I just want to sit on my porch, smell the ocean breeze, and play sweet music with my sweetheart.

Admittedly, I was happy to play the melody of "Dixie" last night, and I plan to show my wife some two-finger chords to set the rhythm. Noodling around is definitely part of our repertoire.

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    You don't need to read music to have fun with any instrument.
    I couldn't agree more. I've played guitar for years thinking of chords as shapes and arpeggios as patterns (which is true). But I wanted to look at a classical piece and have the ability to read it. Whether or not I play as I read it isn't of key importance; I would be faster playing by ear.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeZito View Post
    Sakamichi:

Our stories sound somewhat similar.

Many years ago my son wanted a mandolin for his birthday, and wanted ME to teach him how to play it. I reminded him that I didn't know how to play the mandolin, but he insisted that I could learn and teach him . . . and I had a whopping 30 days to figure it all out!

Long story short - I bought him an inexpensive 'Oscar Schmidt' mandolin, learned some basic chords, figured out a few licks, and within a few days I was hooked!

Welcome aboard!
    Thank you for the welcome and for sharing your story. I love how your son had absolute faith that you could teach him. That is priceless.

I was going to say if you are going to play classical then reading music would be a benefit. I grew up reading music, trombone, piano and organ. I found it restrictive so when I learned guitar I played by ear, mandolin, banjo, harmonica, bass, fiddle all by ear. It has been a wonderful journey and I must say enjoy it as I am sure you will.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Blog Entries

Welcome to the cafe. Come visit us over in the Newbies Social Group (see my signature for directions).
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Down the road I go Trav'linmando's Avatar

Sakamichi , welcome to the café. As Hank stated in his post come on over to the newbies group. We are all in this journey together.

Larry
    Very few of us know, how much we have to know, in order to know, how little we know.
    Father Ed Dowling

Pava A5 #156
    Eastman 815V
    Eastman 514
    Eastman 404
    Godin A8

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sakamichi View Post
    The best thing is, this is something my wife and I can do together.
    You're not kidding. I can see lots of MAS possibilities there. "Hey Honey - I got you another mandolin!"

Congratulations! and happy picking both of you's

Welcome to the Cafe, Sakamichi. I have been struggling along self-taught for a little while now, but am slowly making progress. I have learned to read standard notation but my fingers on my left hand haven't quite kept up . I am very lucky though because my wife plays the piano and can help me out when I have questions.

Have a good time! I think that is what it is all about.

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sakamichi View Post
    . . .I appease my impatient side by practicing scales, two-finger chords, and playing pieces for which I can find tablature. . . .
    Another newbie here! Scales and double-stops are where it's at. Also a few go-to open and bar chords. I don't like tabs, I'd rather play along with a recording.

And, of course, noodling. Noodling, noodling, noodling, noodling.

After all, the pasta's prologue!

Real Life D&D Bard MollyMarieMandolin's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm completely new to mandolin and I'm excited about it too.

I do have plenty of background in reading music. The free web learning site Khan Academy has some music stuff you could check out! I think at least the basics of reading music are probably covered. https://www.khanacademy.org/

I don't think you need to focus too much on music theory though. Too much theory in any subject before you get around to just having fun with it bogs people down a lot, I think.
    Screw it. I'm a bard now.

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MollyMarieMandolin View Post
    . . . The free web learning site Khan Academy has some music stuff you could check out! I think at least the basics of reading music are probably covered. https://www.khanacademy.org/ . . . .
    Hm. Looked at Khan's site and didn't see anything about music. I looked at some of its other material, though, and it's good - glad you posted it.

PS - What's a D&D Bard?

=O.

Real Life D&D Bard MollyMarieMandolin's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
    Hm. Looked at Khan's site and didn't see anything about music. I looked at some of its other material, though, and it's good - glad you posted it.

PS - What's a D&D Bard?

=O.
    I found music lessons still on Khan Academy but couldn't find them without searching "music", not sure how I found it before but a search still worked. I love Khan Academy. It's helped me be way better with math than I used to!

D&D is Dungeons and Dragons, lol. Bard is a class in it and in many other roleplaying games, both video games and tabletop games. Bards basically use music to buff other party members, as in the party members can get bonuses on things like attacks. They have high Charisma, which makes them good at things like persuading people, and a big skill tends to be Bardic Knowledge ie knowledge on many subjects. They usually have a medieval kinda instrument, often something like a lute or mandolin.

I'm big into gaming which is why I keep joking about being a bard in real life. The bard class tends to get made fun of and called bad, but I think most people don't realize how to play it to best effect. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bard_(...s_%26_Dragons)

Are there not enough gaming nerds around here? :P I at least encourage you guys to look up some art of RPG bards, because even if you're not into gaming, you'll probably like seeing art of musicians kicking butt (was going to say bad-*** but seem to remember swearing being against the rules though correct me if I'm wrong).
    Screw it. I'm a bard now.

I too am new to the Mandolin and Mandolin Café. I have been teaching myself to play the 5 string banjo for 11 years now. I have never gotten very good, but I still want to play a musical instrument. I am about to trade in my banjo for a Mandolin. I love the sound of this instrument and so do my wife and daughter. As of yet I cannot play be ear so I rely on good tabs to learn tunes. I'd like to learn tunes such as Shady Grove, John Hardy, Wildwood Flower, Old Joe Clark, 8th of January, Red River Valley, Buffalo Gals, Under The Double Eagle etc. Will I be able to find Mandolin Tab books that have tunes like this? I am not planning on playing in a band or jamming. I just want to be able to sit at home and play well enough that I'll enjoy it and my wife, children and friends will enjoy it.

If I do for the Mandolin what I've done for the banjo we're all in trouble. I am 58 years old but would still love to become a good mandolin player (At Home).

I work full time and teach an adult bible class at our local congregation and I love that. But, I do not have a hobby and I love music. So I'd be very happy to be able to play tunes like the ones I've mentioned in my home.

Any suggestions for good tab books for a rank beginner would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Blog Entries

Welcome aboard! You have chosen well-- both the mandolin as an instrument and this forum as a place to learn and share (from and with). As a guitar player for over 50 years, the mandolin has been a wonderful new pursuit for me and area to grow in and enjoy learning about. I picked it up as a beginner 35 years ago and put it down until 2012, when I started bringing it to add to my guitar playing in the church band. Once I picked it up, it grew on me until it became an obsession. So, you are doomed! Enjoy the mandolin world...
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

My favorite bard is Dandelion (not D&D but pretty well known none the less)