Thread: Unused String Life

Default Unused String Life

I currently have a mandocello being worked on. When the work is done I agreed to supply the shop with a new set of strings for it to be strung up with. I do have a never opened pack at home which is probably about 8-10 years old. Think they are stilll ok to use? Or should I just order a new set?

Phil

Default Re: Unused String Life

I recently an unopened pack of J74's that were in a plastic storage bin for over 12 years. They were fine.

Funny, I also opened J75's that had been in plastic for 8+ years, and to my surprise they were perfect.

I got some spare strings from a local vendor, (This town) its a damp place,

they were a bit discounted due to some oxidation spots.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

If they've been kept in a dry environment, they're probably fine. If they're packaged like D'Addario strings in a sealed plastic sleeve, it shouldn't matter where they were stored.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

It's simple:

Are they free of rust (oxidation)? If so, you're good to go. Use them. They will sound like new.

Are they only very lightly rusted (oxidized)? If so, put them on and then wipe off the minor bits of oxidation using a rag moistened with a few drops of mineral oil (or Fast Fret or Tibetan almond stick or some other cleaner). If it all comes off, you're good to go.

Are they more heavily rusted? Throw them out, or use the wire for other purposes than music.

I have often wondered about this same thing because I buy strings at a dozen sets at a time, I also have wondered about other things not being as good as new due to shelf life, like golf balls....Many years ago I went into a small store that had a little bit of every thing and they had some OLD Black Diamond mandolin strings and I bought a few sets at a bargain price and they weren`t good at all, might have been a different alloy than what is being used today...

I suppose that don`t answer your question but the price of a set of strings really isn`t that much and to be 100% sure I would buy a new set to put on the reworked mandola and save the old ones in case you need replacements some time......Why take a chance?

Willie

Blog Entries

I stay about two or three string packs ahead. I once bought a whole display rack, and by the time I had worked down to the last packs, I was no-longer using that brand.

I like buying strings from the bricks and mortar music stores I frequent. They don't make money on my trying everything out and jabberjawing with the staff, so I buy some strings, some magazines, etc., whether I need them or not, every time, just to have them see I buy stuff. When I am ready to get a mandolin or something else expensive, I hope they are still there.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Poole View Post
    ...they had some OLD Black Diamond mandolin strings and I bought a few sets at a bargain price and they weren`t good at all, might have been a different alloy than what is being used today...
    But that was my experience with Black Diamond strings when they were new, 50 or so years ago. I used to get them for my first banjo -- mainly because that was all the local music stores had -- and on a good day, they were just south of adequate.

Black Diamond was not a respected brand back then, though they obviously did a good job of marketing them around my neck of the woods. I understand they're a lot better now, perhaps because there's a lot more competition, and they had to "up their game."

If a string's protected from excess humidity, not exposed to temperature extremes, and never subjected to tension or wear, no reason it shouldn't remain usable almost indefinitely.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Used to say back in the day "Black diamond strings are great as long as you change them every day" As Allen says it was all you could get, nothing to compare them to.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I've got a set of Martin mandolin strings from the mid 1970's and they still look like new,,,

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    Used to say back in the day "Black diamond strings are great as long as you change them every day" As Allen says it was all you could get, nothing to compare them to.
    Have you heard the Guy Clark song "Black Diamond Strings"?
    One line is "BDSs are like white flour & grits; you use BDSs 'cause it's all you can get"
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

I always wondered what Norman was thinking when he wrote the verse in Church Street Blues "I'm gonna get myself some guitar strings, that ol' Black Diamond brand, string up this old Martin box, go and join some band"

He must of forgot what that ol' Black Diamond brand was like. I wonder if the new ones are better?

From what I have heard Black Diamond now isn`t the same company that it was way back when, I believe it was called National Music then, don`t know what it is called now....I also have heard some folks say that they don`t think the strings they make today are as good as what we used to get....I also was able to get Mapes Strings and with those you got extra strings just incase you broke one...AH, The good ole` days...

Not to change subjects but since B.D, was the most popular strings in those days it seems that mandolin builders were limited to what they could "test" their instruments with to get the sound they desired so just maybe a `24 Loar would sound better with those B.D, strings on it...Maybe that is why a lot of Gibson players like the steel strings...Which I hope are making a come back...

Willie

this reminds me that back in the '80's there was a brand of guitar strings that adversied them as crygenicly packed so they would last forever if you didn't open the package. I guess they are for folks like me who don't change strings often. When I giiged regularly on bass (electric) I would chenge strings every week but now I don't very year.