Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st Time Buyer Trying To Decide Between...

Default 1st Time Buyer Trying To Decide Between...

Hello Everyone!

I am a first time mandolin buyer and was looking at the following models:

Washburn
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F7V9Z84...oding=UTF8&me=

Eastman
    https://www.amazon.com/Eastman-Class...f_rd_i=desktop

Michael Kelly
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004VQDD5I...oding=UTF8&me=

Washburn
    https://www.amazon.com/Washburn-Mand...9NJ83K61061SHT

Any help is much appreciated!

-Eric

Blog Entries

Default Re: 1st Time Buyer Trying To Decide Between...

If you chose the Eastman I would suggest getting it here vs Amazon: https://www.folkmusician.com eastman-315-mandolin-f-style

Of the choices you've listed .... I would definitely go with the Eastman.
    2014 Gibson 'Harvey' F5G
    1917 Gibson F2
    2013 'The' Loar LM600VS
    2013 Morgan Monroe 4FJ
    Blue Chip Picks
    The Scallywag Social Club

Thank you two very much. I'm looking around the $500-800 range to start. F Style and I like the more classic antique look.

Eastman's the only one that's hand-carved, rather than machine-carved. (Rough carving done by machine, finished by hand). Mahogany is a bit "outside" for back and side (Washburn #1); maple is the usual wood. The Eastman is the least "bling-y," with its matte finish and lack of ornamentation, which may be what you mean by "classic antique look"; it's also the best made of the four.

You might also want to look at Kentucky and Loar mandolins in your price range, and even the Rover RM-75 -- if you're determined to buy an F-model instrument. Nothing wrong with that, but you do pay extra for the (acoustically irrelevant, consensus opinion) scroll and body points.

One suggestion: don't buy your mandolin primarily by looks. The somewhat "plain Jane" Eastman 300 series is good value for the money. And -- if you have any way to do a hands-on comparison, of individual mandolins in your price range, take advantage of it. You may find you like a mandolin that we, in our assembled but distant wisdom, wouldn't recommend.

In the end it's your money, and your mandolin -- so, your choice, and yours the only opinion that's relevant.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

allenhopkins - I agree about not buying by looks. I've actually been a guitarist / bassist for 20 years and have all "classic" instruments (meaning stats, teles, etc...) because of playability reasons. I like the F-shaped because I like the cut-a-way for the right hand, kind of has the strat feel I am used to. I have a few friends who are mandolin players, one has an F-shaped and the other an (excuse my lack of knowledge on the term) "oval" shape...the F-shape one for me was easier to play.

I've read about the loar mandolins, but will have to read more about kentucky'. Thank you for sharing your knowledge, it is most appreciated

8. The following members say thank you to JonseyZoso for this post:

Playability wise...between the Eastman, and the Loar & Kentucky models below, does anybody have some reasons why they'd rank one above the other?

Loar
    https://www.amazon.com/Loar-LM-590-M...+mandolin+loar

Kentucky
    https://www.amazon.com/Kentucky-Stan...dolin+kentucky

Thanks again for taking the time to help me make a choice, I do appreciate it.

Not sure about the differences in the Kentucky vs the Eastman or TheLoar. I have owned several Kentucky's a couple Eastmen. They were all good! While I've never even seen a The Loar mandolin, I do have a The Loar guitar and it is a fine instrument. My only reason for posting is to recommend buying from a cafe sponsor. They all have great reputations and will do a good set up prior to sending it out. Their prices with the set up are pretty much the same as Amazon (with probably no set up) NFI. Just this old hacks $.02.
    Thanks

Several mandolins of varying quality-any one of which deserves a better player than I am.......

Blog Entries

Setup is critical on mandolins. Amazon just ship them out in a cardboard box - no setup. Bridge not even in place in many cases. The Cafe sponsor sellers specialize in mandolins and know exactly how to set them up correctly. You will get a playable instrument. I get to see quite a few 'The Loar' mandolins, also Kentucky and Eastman. They ALL need some setup 'out of the box' but my experience has been that 'The Loar' can end up needing substantially more work than Kentucky or Eastman. Obviously, if you buy from someone who has already sorted out any issues and provided a full setup that will not be a concern, but if buying from a 'box shifter' then it is worth noting. What is called 'playability' is a) subjective as it can involve preference as to neck shape, etc., but is mainly b) setup.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Quote Originally Posted by almeriastrings View Post
    ...What is called 'playability' is a) subjective as it can involve preference as to neck shape, etc., but is mainly b) setup.
    +1 on that. Which is also why I advocate "hands on" buying if possible.

What you get on the internet are the general specs for each instrument. What you get on the Cafe are a bunch of opinions, from musicians who have (in most cases) played the models in question, each with his/her own personal preferences and evaluations. But you are you; you may hate the mandolin that I love, and vice versa.

I would say, overall, and based mostly on what I've read on the Cafe, that you're in safer territory choosing among Eastman, Kentucky, and Loar instruments, than going with Washburn or Michael Kelly. But -- you'll find Cafe members who are totally satisfied with their Washburns and MK's. Reading specs only, you find that the first three makers have instruments that are solid wood, hand-carved, and reasonably priced. Cafe posters have expressed general -- not universal -- satisfaction with Eastman, Kentucky, and Loar instruments.

But, every instrument is different, and every mandolinist has his/her individual preferences. Good luck and good hunting!
    Allen Hopkins
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Flatiron 3K OM

I agree with everyone else, go with the Eastman. Purchase from a reputable vendor. Invest in a proper setup. Service after the sale is important too.
    Looking at your choices reminds me of the day the Michael Kelly Dragonfly was offered up here on the cafe as a special order. It was the latest from the school of cool. Guess that was 15 or so years ago. Folks were scooping those things up. They were changing tailpieces, bridges ect. They were purty. Lp
    J.Lane Pryce

+1 on the Eastman. I certainly wouldn't go with Amazon. Besides not coming with a setup, Amazon includes the soft case. The 315 from Folk Musician looks like it comes with a hard case - https://www.folkmusician.com/collect...ndolin-f-style
    Eastman MD515

If buying new I would call one of the site sponsors and tell them what you are looking for and ask them what there best mandolin would be in your price range. You would get a new instrument, well setup, a warranty and a return privilege.

If you are patient you can find a good mandolin for a fair price in the classifieds. Many guitar players prefer wider necks but if you could get buy with a 1 1/16" neck and a flat fretboard I would seriously consider this Kentucky 1000. The Kentucky 100/1050 are called master models and can be great.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/109680#109680

Even the 756 Kentucky is a very nice instrument once gone through. Different character than the Eastman line. Matter of taste.
    Stephen Perry

The most important thing in a first mandolin is, lets be redundant here so you get the point, a good setup. Things like flat vs radiused fingerboard, fret wire, etc. are secondary. Buy from a sponsor and listen to what they have to say. They all want you to be so happy with your mandolin that you come back in a year and spend serious money on an upgrade.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

You all are terrific, I never would have thought they needed a proper set up after purchase. I will for sure be sure I am more picky with who I buy it from. I'll also look to see if there is a licensed Eastman dealer in the area as well.

I'm traveling for work this week, so I'll be sure to spend some time looking around this weekend

Blog Entries

If they are primarily a guitar dealer - they may still have no clue as to how to best set a mandolin up.... many don't....

Mandolins are very much a speciality area. Hence: mandolin dealer

Many thing of mandolins as "little guitars", but really, they are very much their own thing and certain aspects of setup are far more critical. The difference this makes is phenomenal - hence everyone continually stressing how important it is.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Quote Originally Posted by JonseyZoso View Post
    You all are terrific, I never would have thought they needed a proper set up after purchase. I will for sure be sure I am more picky with who I buy it from. I'll also look to see if there is a licensed Eastman dealer in the area as well.

I'm traveling for work this week, so I'll be sure to spend some time looking around this weekend
    If I had come across my Michael Kelly in a store, it would have been put back on the wall in 30 seconds. That it turned out so well was a total eye opener for me regarding the importance of a setup. It needed extensive fret leveling, plus the regular set up stuff. In my neck of the woods, that is $150. So please take our advice. Looks like you are going to.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

21. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

http://musicfolk.com/product/eastman-315/

Here is a local shop that I've heard noting but praise for...and they sell the eastman model I wanted to test out as well.

Any specific terms or phrases I should use when I talk with them about a professional setup?

I have an MD315, and am quite happy with it. In order to really upgrade I think I'd have to spend a lot of money.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Quote Originally Posted by JonseyZoso View Post
    ...Any specific terms or phrases I should use when I talk with them about a professional setup?
    Well, I tend to instinctively trust any Huss & Dalton dealer to know what they're talking about and provide a good shop set-up. I'd just ask them if they've set up the mandolin, if they've replaced the factory strings (although I haven't found that as necessary with Eastman instruments as some other Asian imports). I'd check the intonation myself -- is the harmonic at the 12th fret the same as the fretted note? -- to make sure the bridge is properly located and height-adjusted.

You can tell a lot about a dealer by the instrumental lines they carry. And Eastman mandolins are pretty uniformly acceptable. Just ask them what they did to the individual instrument -- inspected it, tweaked it (how?), restrung it, whatever. See how much time they take in responding to your inquiries, and what effort they put into explaining clearly, to a mandolin "newbie," what was involved.
    Allen Hopkins
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Flatiron 3K OM

25. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

I've bought two mandolins from Music Folk. Each was set up very nicely. Good people and a fine store. I highly recommend the place.

27. The following members say thank you to Eric F. for this post:

Read frets.com's discussions regarding nut height, bridge height and placement, and see how it feels in your hands. I have an Eastman 315 I bought from a big box affiliate on clearance without any setup. It needs the nut lowered and needed a little bridge adjustment. I made the bridge adjustments, but haven't made the nut adjustments yet, because it's very playable (if not ideal) as is, and I just haven't gotten around to it. Had I not gotten it for $429 (shocking, because I never get good deals on anything), I'd have definitely bought from Folk Musician, Elderly, or Mandolin Store. For that $699 price, you get much more value from them than Amazon, and I personally feel the instrument is worth that. Mine is quite nice, and a tremendous mandolin, regardless of the price. I bought it to be a beater upgrade, but treat it as well as my Silverangel and Collings MT, because of how good the tone and workmanship are.

I absolutely support buying locally when you can, but if the store referenced doesn't have what you're looking for, the cafe sponsors mentioned above will generally make sure that you get a mandolin at its optimum...
    Chuck

Music folk is an excellent shop. Plus you can play it before you buy. They usually have a good collection of used mandolins too.
    Play as many as you can to get some idea of what they sound like

+1,357,234

Eastman or Kentucky, from a cafe sponsor or someone who does a good set-up.

*2002 Collings MT2
    *2016 Gibson F5 Custom
    *Martin D18
    *Deering Sierra