Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Potentially Touchy Question

Default A Potentially Touchy Question

I have also posted a similar thread on another forum, but thought it may be interesting to give it a go here too. Basically I only have time to play either the mandolin or the squareneck reso. Both have pros and cons to them. I have 9 years of mando thrashing, can play probably 30 + melodies in various genres but not up to tempo especially in ITM. Fairly competent in three finger chop chords. I have an on and off relationship with the dobro, but have finger picked the guitar for about 20 years so the right hand has not been an issue. As you may guess using a flat pick has been my biggest challenge on the mandolin. I love the size and portability of the mandolin. One of these two is to be my main jamming instrument primarily in bluegrass jams. I have been to jams with both, and must say I kind of feel intimidated with the mandolin for no good reason. But I have none of that with the reso, mainly because I am clueless so just noodle around in the scale and chords of the key. So, while I realize the decision is ultimately mine, I have always valued all your sage advice. So.......??? I should add that I'm 70 and although I've had no issues worry about left hand on the mandolin and right hand on the dobro. Thanks!
    Thanks

Several mandolins of varying quality-any one of which deserves a better player than I am.......

Default Re: A Potentially Touchy Question

Mandolin plays a rather essential role (in BG) - not least of which is an energetic rhythmic feel.

Reso guitar, OTOH, plays a significantly different role - mostly melodic (but the rhythmic impetus you can effect with it is a great sound - similar to the way a horn player effects rhythm, but of course more polyphonous and percussive if desired). 'Dobro' is an idiomatic sound for sure, yet its portamento is one of the most evocative sounds in strings (imo...I played some pedal steel long ago, and I still can't get it out of my system, but mostly assuaged with duolian bottleneck).

3. The following members say thank you to catmandu2 for this post:

Playing the Dobro is cheaper, because there's no such thing and Dobro Aquisition Syndrome. At least, not that I ever heard of.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

5. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

Tim Scheerhorn is a friend, and I assure your DAS (Tim would say RGAS (Resophonic Guitar Acquisition Syndrome) is alive and well. Last I heard his waiting list is 4 years. I have played both. I have friends that say the Dobro (sorry Tim, easier to type) is my natural instrument, but while I never will be a great player, the mandolin speaks to my soul much more than the Dobro. Your experience may vary.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

7. The following members say thank you to red7flag for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    ...no such thing...
    IME, there's *AS for each and every istrument..

9. The following members say thank you to catmandu2 for this post:

Monroe never used a dobro so I don`t allow one in my band either...If I did he would have to be one hell of a good picker but Mike Auldridge is dead...

11. The following members say thank you to Willie Poole for this post:

I often take both my mandolin and my guitar to my jam sessions and play both (not at the same time . I'll use my mandolin a lot for backup and rhythm, and guitar for solos. I've found that more than a few of our regular jam attendees can follow me better while I play guitar because they're familiar with guitar chording and can more easily follow what I'm doing with my left hand. If I play a song on mandolin that they don't really know, it's not always as harmonic as it could be. So, why restrict yourself to one instrument?
    2007 Sumi F-5 Deluxe
    1991 Flatiron Performer A
    Martin D-35

13. The following members say thank you to Mike Arakelian for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Poole View Post
    ... but Mike Auldridge is dead...
    Jerry D puts on a helluva show...course he's got that tele player too

15. The following members say thank you to catmandu2 for this post:

Blog Entries

I play 5-string banjo, mandolin and Dobro.

Banjo is my main stage instrument; I love the tone of the banjo and it will probably always be my favorite of the bluegrass instruments. But banjos tend to be heavy and large and since I have back and balance issues, I tend to not get my banjos out unless I am performing or practicing. And I cannot stand up when I play banjo anymore, even on stage; I have to sit.

Mandolin is my go-to instrument now at home for pure enjoyment and for working out new songs. I do love the mandolin's tone too. I don't yet play mandolin on stage much, but I love to get into the zone with it at home or in jams or other very casual venues. For my back and balance issues, mandolins are light and small and easy to maneuver around with. And I can stand up and play mandolin, which I really love.

Dobro is the instrument I go to when for whatever reason I need to get away from both banjo and mandolin. I don't usually perform with it, but I like playing and the sound of the the Dobro a lot. Like with the banjo, it's a large and heavier instrument, so I don't usually get it out unless I'm sitting down at a jam.

At a jam, I usually figure that more than two banjos are obnoxious, so in that case I'll play mandolin. I also figure that more than three mandolins are obnoxious, so in that case I'll play Dobro. There are almost never more than 2 Dobro players at a jam, and even if there are they aren't obnoxious.

I use 3-finger style for banjo and for Dobro, so that's pretty easy. I have been able to pick up flat picking on mandolin pretty quickly (in about 6 years) and pretty easily. The transition from finger style to my current, probably intermediate+ level of flat-picking hasn't been that difficult. I have plans to utilize some of this flat picking skill with a plectrum banjo after I retire.

-- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dhergert For This Useful Post:

dhergert- plectrum banjo is quite the athletic instrument: that long neck cries out for florid inversions up and down the neck, requiring some fleet hand mobility. I'm the opposite of you - I've retired from plectrum!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by catmandu2 View Post
    dhergert- plectrum banjo is quite the athletic instrument: that long neck cries out for florid inversions up and down the neck, requiring some fleet hand mobility. I'm the opposite of you - I've retired from plectrum!
    Actually I also play jazz and swing up and down the neck on the 5-string and I never use a capo, I'm a chord-melody person. I'm not anticipating any serious left-hand issues on the plectrum. It will be interesting to play something with the flat pick that doesn't have courses though.

It's all for fun.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

20. The following members say thank you to dhergert for this post:

1. Playing mandolin for nine years should result in a repertoire of over 30 tunes, IMHO. Unless learning tunes and melody isn't the primary focus. Also, "not up to tempo" is another red flag. Perhaps a more focused practice regiment, or a good teacher?

2. Finger-style guitar is only a partial threshold to bluegrass Dobro playing, since the technique for most Dobro is much more related to banjo -- three-finger "rolls" and banjo-esque picking patterns, rather than the alternate-thumb-bass, fingered melody on treble strings, that's characteristic of most finger-style guitar playing. Classical guitar might actually be more directly applicable.

3. Sounds like the primary focus is to be comfortable and participatory at a bluegrass jam. Mandolin in bluegrass, when not providing rhythm with "chop" chords, tends to be focused on melodic "breaks," or at least solos that are related to the song's/tune's melody. They may just be a string of "licks" played around the chord changes -- the improviser's friend -- or they may closely follow the melody. But if you've had problems learning melodies -- 30 in nine years, and not at performance tempo -- this may be more difficult.

4. Dobro, if decently played, also follows the melody of the song/tune, but again "noodling around scales and chords" occurs as well. (This can, of course, also be done on the mandolin -- take it from me...) If what you want is not to play melody, either instrument could work, but the lack of mandolin melody might be more noticeable.

5. May come down to what instrument you really like to play better. Others have suggested that you could take both to a jam, and utilize one or the other depending on the song/tune, the number of similar instruments present, or your mood. I have shown up at jams with guitar, banjo, mandolin and resonator guitar, and played only one or two of them. But I'm insane; everyone knows that...

NOTE: there definitely is "Resonator Acquisition Syndrome"; my current personal proof:

1936 National Style 0 guitar, nickel plated brass body
    1930's National Havana guitar, laminated body by Kay, National resonator
    1990's Deneve square-neck rosewood/maple resonator guitar
    1970's Dobro banjo, 5-string neck with "biscuit" bridge
    1930's Dobro tenor guitar, laminated spruce/mahogany body
    1930's National Triolian mandolin, faux-walnut painted steel body
    1937± Dobro mandolin, "moon & stars" cover-plate

I had a Duolian plectrum guitar, but traded it in
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

22. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

OK, I will confess to being a no talent hack. It takes me a long time to learn the melody to any song or tune. Getting up to tempo is yet an additional problem. I came to playing music late in life and have struggled mightily with it. Also under consideration is chucking the whole business or at least both mandolin and dobro and return to just playing guitar for my personal enjoyment or lack thereof. The last month or so has been increasingly frustrating musically I only have so much time in the day so at this point it is one or the other (mandolin or dobro). Sorry if only 30 songs doesn't measure up but that's part of the reason for the question.
    Thanks

Several mandolins of varying quality-any one of which deserves a better player than I am.......

Ever play bass? I'm not a big BG guy (though I love trad Mon), but having an affinity for bass has permitted me to enjoy lots of fun playing in some BG bands over the years. You could apply your guitar fingerboard knowledge there...and a pretty low-entry minimum - even with little time for practice, you play an essential role on all of the tunes.

My apologies if it's to be only mndln or dobro - just wanted to offer it.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to catmandu2 For This Useful Post:

Cat, agree totally. I (Try) to play mando, guitar, 5 string, OM, bass, and recently added ukulele to the mix. Though I feel it's probably my second least proficient instrument (Banjo being the least), bass is the easiest to jam on, and probably the one I get the most requests for playing with others. It can be a boring beeatch to practice, but is quite fun to play with others. Please note that I have true respect for those that are good bass players. It's easy to play, but tough to be really good at, IMHO...
    Chuck

27. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

Hi Mike,

We are the same age and live in the same state.

I have had three separate periods in my life where I played mandolin.
    The first in my teens with a bowl back.
    The second was roughly 1979-1982. I took a couple lessons from Tiny Moore in his Sacramento store. I learned a lot to include I had little interest in Bluegrass though the techniques .. aside form "chop" were interesting.
    ( Note here: I played 5 string banjo form 1971-1977.. 1925 Ball Bearing TB-3 conversion)
    The last was roughly 1990 to 93. This was my "classical" period.
    Though I did attend a clinic with David Grisman at that time.

I stuffed my right hand into a shaper and I sold all my instruments to include several mandolins, guitars and banjos. I quit playing for a few years. Fingers and thumb reattachments are a real glitch.

I am now considering re-entering the world of mandolin ( I have always kept one around and noodle once in a while..) But my interest is still classical and perhaps some jazz orientation.

I have owned over 50 mandolins to include Gibsons, Givens, custom made German classical, etc.

On to another subject... TIFKAD ( The Instrument Formerly Known As Dobro)

I got my forst around 1983ish..
    Dierct from Don Young when it was still the DOBRO folks .. this was down in or near Long Beach. This was a NAAM unit made from Padauk.. Every one in the shop signed the label for me...
    I played like crazy for some time.. really enjoyed it , more-so than banjo.. I think more versatile.

Then I was hit by a car and my hands and shoulder and other bodily components were temporarily reconfigured.
    Several surgeries and casts over 2 years and I sold everything once again. About a dozen instruments to include the Dobro.

Fast forward to around 1998.

I moved to So Oregon in 1996 and in 1998 I went to a local "concert" .. Bluegrass. The mandolin player and the Reso player were very good.. Actually the Scheerhorn player was outstanding. Al Brinkerhoff.

I decided to get a reso. Having just moved, taxes coming up etc, and poverty stricken, I decided to build one...
    A late 1920s Regal pattern.
    Built the molds and building jigs, bought parts and built it. I have a complete portfolio of photos of the building process.

I contacted Al for some lessons.. Went up to his ranch and we spent some time .. me on the Regal, he on the Scheerhorn.
    He said it was a good player, great tone and well made. Yay for me ! : )
    Had a great deal of fun and really got into it. Then as they say, life got in the way.
    I sold the Reso to a guy in West Virginia, a friend of Al's.

Fast forward..

I am also thinking TIFKAD. and waffling.

Mandolins are great for portability and can play ay genre of music.
    TIFKAD is a lot of fun, not necessarily suited for all types of music.

Pick the music, pick the instrument.

I am considering both and will likely build again.

I might suggest listening to some reso playing form a number of sources.

Unlike others, some of the best known and revered are not my favorite reso players.. Not coincidentally, I can also say that for mandolin.

Mike Auldridge is still king for his genre of playing.

PS I just sold my last banjo a couple weeks ago; Bart Reiter Grand Concert.
    I was no longer inspired.

Listen to some music and see what inspires you and follow that lead.

Best of Luck.

29. The following members say thank you to Jeff Hildreth for this post:

Unfortunately, I think no one can answer that question for you.
    It is all about what speaks to you.

I have played guitar for about 40 years (since I was 8)...
    I have played Classical Indian Sitar for about 10 years
    I have played Mandolin for about 3 years.
    I love them all.

I don't have time to put 100% into any of them now, but who cares.
    I just pick the one I feel like playing, and go for it.
    If you are not going to be a Pro touring player, then it really doesn't matter.
    Mandolins: Northfield 5-Bar Artist Model "Old Dog", J Bovier F5 Special, Gibson A-00 (1940)
    Fiddles: 1920s Strad copy, 1930s Strad copy, Liu Xi T20, Liu Xi T19+ Dark.
    Guitars: Taylor 514c (1995), Gibson Southern Jumbo (1940s), Gibson L-48 (1940s), Les Paul Custom (1978), Fender Strat (Black/RWFB) (1984), Fender Strat (Candy Apple Red/MFB) (1985).
    Sitars: Hiren Roy KP (1980s), Naskar (1970s), Naskar (1960s).
    Misc: 8 Course Lute (L.K.Brown)

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CWRoyds For This Useful Post:

If it were me, and I was more comfortable pickin' reso at the jams, and time was of importance.
    I'd stick with the reso. and move on.
    2021 The Loar LM700 VS

33. The following members say thank you to J Mangio for this post:

Blog Entries

I can't float from instrument to instrument. I envy those that can. It would be a shame to have to chose if I had two I loved. I hope you find a good way around it.

If I had to measure my mandolin happiness by local jams I would probably had already quit. They just play far above the speed I can play and enjoy myself (and I can play a lot of material at say 90-100). I'm catching them slowly but tbh I'm not wrecking my hands to get there sooner. Finding 2 local pickers in same speed boat has turned my music life around. There's tremendous satisfaction in like minded/skilled picking groups!!

35. The following members say thank you to Mark Wilson for this post:

I'd also have to agree to pick the one you like best in most situations and the music you most enjoy playing. I can tell you that you won't see a dobro at an ITM session (more than once) at any speed if that's a consideration. but outside of that, if you're leaning one way, then take the plunge. At 70, you may have 20 years left to play music so if you want to switch back, you still can do so (!)
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

37. The following members say thank you to Randi Gormley for this post:

Thanks for all the great advice. Even Allen who ripped me on the quantity of my repitoire(sic?)-lol. I counted it up; its more than 30. I will admit to being in a musical funk the past month and I find it easy to get down on myself. I have decided to take a deep breath and quit worrying about my lack of speed on mandolin. In fact once I realized it, I have been able to pick it up quite a bit. I haven't been to a jam or session with it for a while, but may take it to the next one I'm able to attend in about a month. Part of my problem has been coming back after long layoffs from two shoulder surgeries in 18 months. Just haven't gotten it all back on guitar either. So patience is necessary-not my strong suit......
    Thanks

39. The following members say thank you to Mike Scott for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Scott View Post
    ...Allen who ripped me on the quantity of my repitoire(sic?)-lol. I counted it up; its more than 30...
    Sorry if it sounded like I "ripped" you. Not intentional; I just wondered, that if you played for nine years, but only learned 30 tunes -- not up to speed, as you stated -- whether you should consider a different approach to practicing or learning repertoire. Putting in that kind of time usually produces more results, so maybe getting a teacher, or just trying a different approach, would be more productive.

Medical problems obviously can sidetrack anyone's progress. And, obviously, some things are easier for any musician than others.

Let me mention that I am 73 years old myself, not as spry as formerly, and constantly self-auditing to see if age is affecting my playing (yes), and if I should modify my practice/learning routines -- such as they are -- concentrate on one type of music or one instrument more or less, modify my repertoire to emphasize strengths and conceal weaknesses (as far as possible). None of us escapes the effects of advancing years:

How do I know my youth is all spent?
    My get-up-and-go has got up and went;
    But in spite of it all, I'm able to grin,
    When I think of the places my get-up has been.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

41. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Scott View Post
    OK, I will confess to being a no talent hack. It takes me a long time to learn the melody to any song or tune. Getting up to tempo is yet an additional problem. I came to playing music late in life and have struggled mightily with it. Also under consideration is chucking the whole business or at least both mandolin and dobro and return to just playing guitar for my personal enjoyment or lack thereof. The last month or so has been increasingly frustrating musically I only have so much time in the day so at this point it is one or the other (mandolin or dobro). Sorry if only 30 songs doesn't measure up but that's part of the reason for the question.

Mike 30 tunes played well is plenty enough to go along to a jam. It takes a while to get one's skill in mandolin playing up there with the best. Keep at it and get some personal teaching to help you along.
    Nic Gellie

43. The following members say thank you to Nick Gellie for this post:

Like many I play a few instruments. The mandolin is a great little instrument but not my best. My best instrument is the bass(electric)and always has been. Sometimes it isn't good to push on a rope and just go with the flow. Play what you play the best.

45. The following members say thank you to nickster60 for this post:

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Play what you want to play ... when you want to play it. You are, doing it for the joy of the experience. so why be concerned with anything other than that? Mando portability ... two thumbs up. Reso not so much ... R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

47. The following members say thank you to UsuallyPickin for this post: