Thread: Kit building

Default Kit building

Judging from past posts, there is plenty of differing opinion regarding building from kit versus scratch build so, I won't go into the whys and wherefors! However and despite having built guitars from scratch, I have just completed kit building an octave mandola (that's how it's known here in the UK). It was made from a Don Kawalek kit. Whilst my next will be a scratch build "A" style, I would simply say that his kits are comprehensive and produce a great looking instrument. Whilst it isn't played in yet there is good projection and sustain. I'm looking forward to a superb sounding instrument.Personally, it gave me a good insight into the instrument so, I wouldn't hesitate in saying that, if you want a decent instrument it's a very satisfying way of getting one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170406_163115.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	317.0 KB 
ID:	155875   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170406_163042.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	369.9 KB 
ID:	155876  

2. The following members say thank you to Simplycool for this post:

Default Re: Kit building

A very fine job you have made of your octave. Is the guitar one of your own builds too?
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

Thanks. Yes, the guitar is my first, built in Rosewood and WRC soundboard. I love that Eric Morecambe sketch but try not to live up to it!

I'm thinking of the anxiety I get bringing a new set of E strings up to pitch on my Eastman. Now I'm thinking of how I'd feel doing the same on an instrument I had built.

Nice job
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MediumMando5722 For This Useful Post:

An interesting point, Chris. When I retired back in 2003 I went on the Stringed Instrument Course at what was then Anniesland College in Glasgow and since then have enjoyed building various members of the mandolin family plus a couple of guitars and a couple of tenor guitars (over 35 instruments to date), but have never tried a kit. Looking at the octave from Simplycool pictured above I can see that it has been really well put together and finished by her, and that this calls for a lot of skill and effort from the builder.

There is always a certain feeling of tension in bringing the new creation up to pitch and hoping the gluing was good, bracing will hold, etc. Then when it all holds together there is the great feeling of elation, and hearing the first musical notes coming from it is always exciting.
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

Those Kawalek kits can make a fine instrument. I've played $3000 bouzoukis that sound dead compared to mine.

Thanks for posting, Simplycool. Am working on Don's Octave kit at the moment, and it's inspirational and helpful to see them finished. Materials, instructions, and communication from Don are top notch.
    Kirby Francis

Francis Guitar Repair

Hi Inklings. Agree completely. I'm delighted to have a great sounding instrument. Good luck with your project.

11. The following members say thank you to Simplycool for this post: