Thread: Another thread comparing 3 mandos

Default Another thread comparing 3 mandos

Hello,

I am new to mandolin. I've been a guitar player for many years and after two unsuccessful stints hoping to learn tenor guitar (I find the fifths tuning too hard on a 23" scale), I decided to give mandolin a try.

I started mandolin less than a month ago and I have yet to consult any tutorials and other instructional stuff, whether on video, in books or on the web, but I will. I just decided to spend some time getting acquainted with the instrument first, trying to figure out chords from scale tones and arpeggios.

I recorded three mandolins and I seek your comments on sound and tone with the perspective that the genre I want to learn and play is swing music (not gypsy swing though) and some jazz tunes. Please be kind on the playing and technique, I just started and I was nervous and making tons of mistakes...

Recording
    • All three mandolins recorded with the internal microphone of the Apogee One straight into the app Music Memos on the iPad
    • Same day, same location, same position instrument/microphone
    • Same pick
    • I assume same strings, probably J74.
    • No effect, no eq
    • No editing

Tracks
    Each mandolin was recorded three times.
    • Melody
    • 3 note chords (bottom strings)
    • 3 note chords (top strings)

Thank you.

Default Re: Another thread comparing 3 mandos

I like #2, then #1, with #3 far behind the others. #2 has a more full and well defined sound, to me, in both chording and solo. #1 is a close second. #3 sounds too thin. I don't think it would cut it as well in an ensemble, and comping on #3 sounds too tinny. Depending on what other instruments you're playing with, a lot of the comping you'll do on mandolin will likely be lower register, so you really want to make sure that your instrument has solid sound in that range. You can always pick softer or nearer the bridge to back off on the depth on #2 & #1, but it is much harder to get more out of a weak bottom end like #3. Also, the clarity of the solo is really what you're likely going for in swing and #2 certainly has that.
    Sounds really good for only 1 month in!
    Last edited by colorado_al; Apr-09-2017 at 9:03pm.

3. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

That's my preference, too. 2-1-3. Al gave all the reasons.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

5. The following members say thank you to Don Grieser for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_al View Post
    I like #2, then #1, with #3 far behind the others. #2 has a more full and well defined sound, to me, in both chording and solo. #1 is a close second. #3 sounds too thin. I don't think it would cut it as well in an ensemble, and comping on #3 sounds too tinny. Depending on what other instruments you're playing with, a lot of the comping you'll do on mandolin will likely be lower register, so you really want to make sure that your instrument has solid sound in that range. You can always pick softer or nearer the bridge to back off on the depth on #2 & #1, but it is much harder to get more out of a weak bottom end like #3. Also, the clarity of the solo is really what you're likely going for in swing and #2 certainly has that.
    Sounds really good for only 1 month in!
    Al, thank you. This is exactly the type of comment I am looking for.

Since my first thread to which you also graciously contributed, I've had up to 8 mandolins at home for an extended sleep over. In that thread, you explained something about short neck with flush fretboard vs. long neck with elevated fretboard it was a real eye opener. I think that this realization will inform for a long time the way I iniatially evaluate the sound of a mando.

7. The following members say thank you to Uke Richard for this post:

My take is

#1 FOR MELODY (then2); #2 FOR CHORDS (then1) ; #1 FOR CHOP (then2)

#3 was last place in all categories.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

9. The following members say thank you to Astro for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Uke Richard View Post
    Al, thank you. This is exactly the type of comment I am looking for.

Since my first thread to which you also graciously contributed, I've had up to 8 mandolins at home for an extended sleep over. In that thread, you explained something about short neck with flush fretboard vs. long neck with elevated fretboard it was a real eye opener. I think that this realization will inform for a long time the way I iniatially evaluate the sound of a mando.
    Right on! Next time my wife gets on my case for wasting too much time on the internet, I'm sending her right to this thread, so she can see how helpful I am!
    Thanks!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to colorado_al For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_al View Post
    Right on! Next time my wife gets on my case for wasting too much time on the internet, I'm sending her right to this thread, so she can see how helpful I am!
    Thanks!
    You really are.

Now this being said, I know better than interfering between a couple.

13. The following members say thank you to Uke Richard for this post:

2-3-1, fwiw
    - Jeremy

Wot no catchphrase?

15. The following members say thank you to derbex for this post:

I preferred 1 on the melody as I liked the roundness of the individual notes.
    I preferred 2 on both the chord recording.
    I felt that both were close on all,
    3 was last in all.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

17. The following members say thank you to red7flag for this post:

Thank you all.

I will identify the mandolins tomorrow.

Blog Entries

1 then 2, both sounded line oval holes, 2 a tubby Gibson sound.

3 was not to my tastes
    Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

Stumbling Towards Competence

20. The following members say thank you to jasona for this post:

On a second listening, today I'm liking #1 the best. It has more focus than #2. Still think #3 is too thin sounding for my taste.

22. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

2,1 then 3

1 sounds like an oval hole, hollow sound but with overtones tipping into tinny. Could be a flat top
    2 sounds like an oval hole, hollow sound but much more focussed than 1 - arch top
    3 is rather unpleasant to be honest - just very thin like a pressed ply wood top.

24. The following members say thank you to James Rankine for this post:

Thanks for the replies. I find them very informative. I appreciate that some answers and comments seem to contradict others because they all offer different points of view and perspectives to learn from. It's so good that I am a little reluctant to identify them just yet but I won't tease, so here they are:

1. Eastman MD805/V A-style with f-holes
    2. Weber Bitterroot A14-O A-style with oval hole
    3. Weber Bitterroot A14-F A-style with f-holes

Today, I was playing the Bitterroot A14-O (#2) up the neck and I wasn't too pleased with the intonation, so I adjusted the position of the bridge. I also noticed that the bridge was slightly tilted and because of that the feet were not in perfect contact with the top on the side toward the tailpiece. Not much, but enough. Once it was placed correctly I changed the strings. Wow! Quite a change indeed! The strings were not discoloured or anything, but they must have been on for quite a while because, combined with fixing the bridge issue, the difference in tone and volume was huge. So, at the moment at least, I would rank them 2, 1, 3, with 2 and 1 being almost tied for different reasons that I wouldn't know how to describe, probably because I am so new to mandolin that I am not sure yet which qualities to look for. I might change the strings on the A14-F too in a few days and see what happens.