Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thicker primetone picks

Default Thicker primetone picks

Just a heads up for fans of Primetone picks--it looks like they now come in 2.0, 2.5, and 3.0 mm.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to doublestoptremolo For This Useful Post:

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Default Re: Thicker primetone picks

I'd want the triangle Primetone with grips, but I don't see those in the thicker sizes.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

Yeah I prefer that shape too. I guess I'll have to settle for the round end of a teardrop shape. I ordered three 2.5 mm from Sweetwater to see how they compare to the Big Stubby.

I use 1.5 mm thick 'teardrop' shaped ones. I began with the 1.3 mm thick ones,then tried the 1.5 mm ones & found an improvement in volume. I'd have hoped that Dunlop would have made some intermediate thicknesses. Going from 1.5 mm to 2 mm is quite a jump.I'd have gone for maybe a 1.8 mm pick. All the 2 mm thick picks of any brand that i've tried have simply slid over the strings.
    Maybe not for me,but i'm pleased for the 'heavy pick' folks - they're terrific picks,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

6. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

Plus one with what Ivan said, I like the Prime Tone 1.5, I also like the Dawg pick which is a tad heavier, probably like a 1.8 thickness, different pick for a different mandolin so it takes time to test out all of the ones available...

Willie

I like smaller 2.5 to 3.0mm picks for electric guitar, but slightly larger sized 1.5mm picks are the sweet spot to me for mandolin and mandola...
    Dobro Mandolin
    Kentucky Dawg Mandola
    Fender FM-53S
    Rogue RM-100A-BK

I literally can't get to grips with those large triangular shaped picks. The way i hold a pick means that there's too much of the pick sticking inwards towards the palm of my hand - but,isn't that why there are 'different shapes' in the first place,folk are different. I'm 'very different' - so my Psychiatrist says,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

I've used standard teardrop picks forever for guitar (40 odd years), but much prefer large triangles on mandolin.

My go-to picks are:

Gretsch and telecaster electrics - 0.73mm delrin teardrop.

Acoustic guitar - primetone dark brown teardrop 0.96 (or my Blue Chip TD40 when I can liberate it from my wife!). Both great picks that give good volume and terrific, articulate tone.

Mandolin - Blue Chip TP60 (just a mite smaller than a large triangle) or Primetone dark brown large triangle 1.5 - both fantastic picks. That PT was my favourite all-time mandolin pick until I tried the TP60 - it just has the edge with a slightly sweeter, more melodic tone, but it really is very, very close.

Where did you read this?

Quote Originally Posted by Chughes423 View Post
    Where did you read this?
    Happened upon it while pick shopping on Amazon. Sort by newest arrivals and the thick ones show up.

I see them on the Sweetwater page but none in the triangle shape.

Nevermind, jumped the gun.
    Last edited by ColdBeerGoCubs; Apr-16-2017 at 9:01pm. Reason: Further evaluation
    Gunga......Gunga.....Gu-Lunga

I've just ordered a pack of 2mm Teardrop shaped ones,mainly to see if they'll add a bit more picking power on my larger than standard Lebeda mandolin. If they work,they'll be the only 2 mm thick picks i've used that have worked ok - however,those were Dawg & Golden gate picks of a very different shape,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

I'm not a fan of the 2.5 so far, but I might try to put more of a bevel on it and seen how I like it. Big Stubby 3.0 my current favorite for some reason.

I went to the JD site yesterday and via the support section asked them if they might be issuing the thicker picks in the triangle shape which is my favorite. No response yet, but maybe if more of us asked they'd think about it.
    www.busmanwhistles.com

I ordered my 2mm thick ones via Amazon - i've yet to receive confirmation of a shipping date,which makes me wonder if the store advertising them even has them in stock !,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

A kind-hearted gent here loaned me a CT55 Blue Chip and a small, 1.4 Primetone. I thought this whole business with the picks was just being fussy - but not no mo' … Ordered some 1.5 Primetone, triangular picks off Amazon and waiting delivery.

Only thing is … the "click" - I'm having a little trouble trying to keep the noise down. Any tips?

Quote Originally Posted by billkilpatrick View Post
    Only thing is … the "click" - I'm having a little trouble trying to keep the noise down. Any tips?
    Experiment a bit with the angle at which your pick hits the strings. I find that pick noise is worse when my pick is oriented perfectly parallel to the strings. A bit of an angle makes a lot of difference.
    Also, try rounding one of the corners of those triangle picks a wee bit. I find that this makes fast picking and tremolo a lot easier.
    www.busmanwhistles.com

I picked up a 3 pk. of both the 2.0 and 2.5. Nicely made, good feel and heft. I play with a shoulder. What I hear is a somewhat annoying chirp, which I hear with many picks, other than BC or shell.

I just ordered this Gravity pick:

Gold Series – Axis
    Size: Standard
    Thickness: 2.5 mm

we'll see...

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Busman View Post
    Experiment a bit with the angle at which your pick hits the strings. I find that pick noise is worse when my pick is oriented perfectly parallel to the strings. A bit of an angle makes a lot of difference.
    Also, try rounding one of the corners of those triangle picks a wee bit. I find that this makes fast picking and tremolo a lot easier.
    Thanks, Paul. I do angle the pick a bit - or rather I start to and usually end up with it more parallel to the strings, as you say. Practice-practice-practice!

In a Peghead-nation video, Sharon Gilchrist says she likes to in a video

E-mail received from Amazon - my PT picks are on their way from the US. It should be interesting,because as i mentioned previously, 2mm picks have never worked for me - but neither had 1.5 mm ones until i tried them. The thick picks i've tried have both been very rounded - not 'pointed', so maybe that'll swing the deal on how they work out - i'll have chance to find out in a week or so.

From Paul Busman - "A bit of an angle makes a lot of difference.". I've found that even if i start off with the pick perfectly perpendicular to the strings,the bevel causes the pick to rotate slightly, so that i get the angle that Paul mentions automatically, & the bevel hits the strings,not the 'flat' of the pick tip,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    E-mail received from Amazon - my PT picks are on their way from the US …
    Hope H.M. Customs won't give you a heart attack ...

Bill - The total cost is £10.09 UK,that's well below what i'm allowed to bring into the UK before tax is levied. Hopefully it'll simply arrive like any other mail. I bought a DVD from the US recently,a bit more expensive,with no problems,
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Primetone pick order..JPG 
Views:	121 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	156404
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    Bill - The total cost is £10.09 UK,that's well below what i'm allowed to bring into the UK before tax is levied. Hopefully it'll simply arrive like any other mail. I bought a DVD from the US recently,a bit more expensive,with no problems, Ivan;Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Primetone pick order..JPG 
Views:	121 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	156404
    Lucky you. For some inexplicable reason, the sending of "musical instruments" - emphasis on church bells - between the US and Italy is restricted and subject to arbitrary/erratic import duties.

Bill, I work for the USPS, and I cringe whenever a customer needs to send a package to Italy.
    Italy has THE longest list of restrictions ever.
    Dobro Mandolin
    Kentucky Dawg Mandola
    Fender FM-53S
    Rogue RM-100A-BK