Thread: Stradolin?

FIDDLES with STRADOLINS your_diamond's Avatar

Default Stradolin?

I have seen that (removed) shield logo somewhere (that was on the headstock) pictures 5 & 6... Any help would be appreciated.

http://r.ebay.com/nhx3e0

Default Re: Stradolin?

Looks more Kay-ish to me, possibly a re-branded one made by Kay.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

3. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

I think it's a late Strad, maybe late 40's early 50's. I think that was the shape of the Stadium label but I can't place it. It looks familiar. The heel is straight out Strad-O-Lin. This is probably laminated. I've never seen one of the Mahogany finished models that wasn't.

Here's a branded one that was older.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

5. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

I have the identical model right here in front of me.
    Mine has a sticker on the headstock that says "Californian".
    It is a later Stradolin though without a doubt. These came with various stickers on them such as Stadium etc,,,
    It is all laminate except for the neck which I think is popular and the fingerboard looks to be rosewood.
    Mine has no strings on it so I cant tell you anything else about it except that in the Stradolin models it is the lowest quality model and I have had lots of Stradolins.
    If the other various models go for 3 or 4 or 500 bucks then this model should go for about a hundred bucks max in my estimation.
    Certainly nothing to lust over even if you are a Stradolin fan.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to atetone For This Useful Post:

This one ( http://r.ebay.com/1MQyo4 ) looks like a better deal.

Quote Originally Posted by your_diamond View Post
    This one ( http://r.ebay.com/1MQyo4 ) looks like a better deal.
    Oh yeah, I've got one of those, minus the pickguard, and with replaced tuners.

If it stays under $300, well worth it, IMHO.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

10. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Yes,,, the second one is much better value as allan says at $300 or less.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to atetone For This Useful Post:

It got relisted & Sold for $155.00 plus $41.00 Shipping http://r.ebay.com/wnw0JC

I was outbid at the last moment. Was distracted by a pretty woman. ...and so, I ran across an "Artist" model Stradolin, with the finest Tiger Flame Maple (back, sides & neck) in phenomenal condition (only a tiny pick-up cut out in the pickguard, near the bridge). With new strings on it, it sounds... surprisingly like... every other high end, solid wood Stradolin. Don't get me wrong, it sounds wonderful, but I thought the fancy wood, would make it sound significantly better than the other 5 Strads that I have owned. I will list pictures in the Strad-O-Lin Mandolins group soon.

high end, solid wood Stradolin.
    I got a chuckle from your description of a "high end" Stradolin.............and relatively speaking, you are correct as they did offer laminated models. And, also, because "wood that pretty" would be just as "at home" on an expensive, boutique maker mandolin, IMHO. I do like Stradolin's, by the way.

A few years ago, Goodwill was opening specialty boutique counters in their stores for the jewelry, "designer" clothing, and occasionally art and instruments, when they received such donations. In the community where my Mother lives, Goodwill even opened an entire boutique store, with supposedly their "best' stuff! My Mother and I went there and she couldn't help but notice purses "behind the counter" with prices of $125 and up.....................Mom said to the sales clerk, "$125 for a purse at the Goodwill?" The clerk responded with, "You don't understand, THIS is a "high-end" Goodwill!"

Needless to say, I cannot hear or read the term, "high-end" without thinking of that day, forever tainting the term........or at least providing a smile.

16. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    I got a chuckle from your description of a "high end" Stradolin...
    Jeff,
    You made me smile!
    I used to love Goodwill... now they are too High-End! lol

I do suppose common terms like High-End get a little abused. However, it might be an understatement for this Artist model Strad. One similar brought around $1,650 on feebay about a month or so ago (unheard of price for a Stradolin, until now). Yet my Artist model didn't sound any better than the Orphium or "STAR" model that I have pictures of in the Strad-O-Lin Mandolins Group.

I did own a laminated Strad that DID NOT SOUND like the solid wood Strads, but it was quite good for a $250 mandolin.

Michael
    P.S. Here's another Strad for ya http://r.ebay.com/rr9xpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stradolin Artist.jpg 
Views:	421 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	156168  

18. The following members say thank you to your_diamond for this post:

P.S. Here's another Strad for ya http://r.ebay.com/rr9xpg[/QUOTE]

I saw that one as well - I love the Deluxes. If I hadn't just deflated the bank account buying an A5, I'd be all over this. A good one for European users - 25EUR shipping to Spain from Portugal!!

20. The following members say thank you to bbcee for this post:

A-Ha! I found this little tidbit of information while looking through guitar tone-wood sites...

Flamed maple does not necessarily sound any better than plain maple, but over the centuries, the tradition of reserving the prettier wood for the more carefully crafted instruments has resulted in a general belief that instruments with flamed maple backs, sides, necks & ribs are better instruments.

I was the winner of one of those auctions, looks like you came away alright in the end though your_diamond. I joined Mandolincafe originally for the bouzouki resources, so this Strad-o-lin is my first foray into mandolins themselves. I also got a cheap Soviet Lunacharsky as more of a collector's item as I'm interested in Russian things and have a balalaika from the same factory. Both arrived yesterday; the Strad-o-lin is pretty banged up from heavy use but still rings out nicely. Going to work on setting them up per Meldrum's instructions over the weekend but both are quite playable already. Any idea what decade the Strad-o-lin is?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	strad3.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	201.2 KB 
ID:	156274   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	strad4.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	217.2 KB 
ID:	156273   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	strad2.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	161.5 KB 
ID:	156275  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	strad1.jpg 
Views:	378 
Size:	180.1 KB 
ID:	156276  

Quote Originally Posted by Seter View Post
    Any idea what decade the Strad-o-lin is?
    You did very well. It's worth $300 any day. All solid woods. Probably from the 1930's or 1940's.
    The date stamp are usually in the middle of the back & if you shine a pen light in the F-hole nearest the pick guard and view it from the other F-hole the date stamp is fairly to see.

You did very well. It's worth $300 any day. All solid woods. Probably from the 1930's or 1940's.
    The date stamp are usually in the middle of the back & if you shine a pen light in the F-hole nearest the pick guard and view it from the other F-hole the date stamp is fairly to see.
    Good to hear, it's interesting to think that maybe 80 years ago it was serving as someone's starter mandolin, and here it is doing the same thing 80 years later. I tried the soundhole trick, was able to see around pretty well but no markings on this particular one.

No shortage of Strads on ebay...

VINTAGE BELTONE MANDOLIN http://r.ebay.com/BJQsID

Vintage StradOLin Deluxe Mandolin http://r.ebay.com/qzaWKK

Vintage 1950s,Orpheum Mandolin,A Style, Kluson Tuners, Great Action,All Original http://r.ebay.com/K8encv

WTF ??? BassOLin OnePiece Fretless Bass, Ken Smith Pickup http://r.ebay.com/yGBggf

Dave Sheets

Found a badly scuffed Stradolin at a music store the other day for $100 bucks, a simple model with solid top and back. Two tuner knobs replaced with handmade knobs carved out of lucite or something similar. Plays great somehow, and sounds surprisingly good. Lots of character to the instrument. Can't see a date stamp.
    -Dave
    Flatiron A
    Way too many other instruments

27. The following members say thank you to Dave Sheets for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by sheets View Post
    Plays great somehow, and sounds surprisingly good. Lots of character to the instrument.
    These Strads can be incredible sleepers...
    I've played a few lately that I would be perfectly happy to have as my main instrument--they are that good...

29. The following members say thank you to Spruce for this post: