Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mandolin Questions

Default Mandolin Questions

Do all Mandolins have such tight strings? Mine are Mediums and much tighter than my banjos.

I would also like to know how wide an A style body is? F style?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Mandolin Questions.

Yes to string tension question even for light stings
    And both body styles typically will fit the same in an F style case

banjo strings are longer, and pitched lower, a mandolin string is shorter and pitched higher..

Now to be similar you could opt for an Irish Bouzouki , the GDAE is an octave lower,
    the strings longer and they even fit in a banjo case.

there is a shape convention around Gibson lookalike mandolins,
    but not all builders want to re create that look.

so they can be body shape outliers and still be a mandolin.

You want people to measure the width of their mandolins, and report?

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

banjos hurt your ears. Mandolins hurt your fingertips.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

5. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to fatt-dad For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    banjo strings are longer, and pitched lower, a mandolin string is shorter and pitched higher..

Now to be similar you could opt for an Irish Bouzouki , the GDAE is an octave lower,
    the strings longer and they even fit in a banjo case.

there is a shape convention around Gibson lookalike mandolins,
    but not all builders want to re create that look.

so they can be body shape outliers and still be a mandolin.

You want people to measure the width of their mandolins, and report?

Not if it's too much trouble. Thanks anyway. Have a nice day.

Quote Originally Posted by fatt-dad View Post
    banjos hurt your ears. Mandolins hurt your fingertips.

f-d
    They put a hurtin' on the wallet, too...

8. The following members say thank you to AlanN for this post:

Body widths vary, though within some parameters. The F-model is really just an A-model with additional points and curlicues added to the body, and the actual diameter across the body isn't much different. An F-model case does have to accommodate the scroll and points, so it's differently shaped, but if you plop an A-model down into it, you'll find that the body will fit in.

Now, lots of exceptions at the margins. For example, my 1954 Gibson F-5 is 10 inches across the body (leaving out the body point), but my pre-teens F-2 three-point is 5/8 inches wider. Meant I had to have the F-2's case padding cut down to fit. So when you say "F style," you may have to be more specific.

Currently don't own a Gibson A-model, so can't give you a comparative measurement. Perhaps another will join in.

As to string tension, mandolin is "tighter" than banjo, though if you're using banjo mediums the discrepancy's not as great. (I use mediums 'cause I have a long-neck banjo, tuned to E rather than G.) Plus you're pushing down double strings rather than single. More work, maybe greater rewards (?) Though I like 'em both.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I've found that the biggest difference is: you can actually tune a mandolin, but just have to re-tune every time you turn around. A banjo? Who cares... it was probably tuned at the factory.

11. The following members say thank you to John Soper for this post:

Thanks, Mr. Hopkins. That's about what I wanted to know. I guess I'll just hafta work my fingers out a bit. As I said before, I can fret my strings. I was just surprised at their tightness. It seems that it would slow one down, but I guess I'll just hafta "git 'er done".

13. The following members say thank you to Picking Dick for this post:

A good setup can make a huge difference in how stiff the strings feel under your fingers. This is especially true if the nut slots are not deep enough to bring the strings down to within a few .001" of the top of the frets. You may want to get your setup checked out by someone, a luthier or another knowledgeable player, who can give you an informed assessment.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

+1 on a good setup, you will feel the difference.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

It was set up by Gold Tone so it should be mostly correct. I think I'm getting better at fretting it. It seems to be easier to fret. Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.

Hmm, a Gold Tone set up would just be a factory set up, so not necessarily optimal for ease of play. For a "good set up" you'd be talking about getting it to a luthier with experience working on mandolins - unless you got it from one of the dealers who send all their instruments out with good set ups, such as The Mandolin Store, Folkmusician.com and Elderly Instruments to name a few.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Thanks, Jill. I think I was just expecting it to be like one of my banjos. I also played ukuleles for quite a while, but stringed instruments are pretty new to me. I've been playing music for 70 years, but all with wind instruments except for a keyboard.

It's not that I can't fret it easily. It just seemed very tight, that's all. I just wondered if light strings would be less tight. If I can't get used to them, I'll look into getting something done.

Dick, I was going to suggest trying some light strings and then get it set up and I think you will find it much easier to play after that, after you build up you finger tips you won`t have much trouble pressing the strings down...It takes time...

The important thing is to not give up...

Willie

Thanks, Willie. My finger tips are "built up". I also play banjos and ukuleles, and I can "press the strings down". I think I just expected my improvement would be much quicker, as it was when learning all the wind instruments that I play. I'm creeping along, but I'm progressing. It's just more difficult than I had planned. Ahhh, well . . .

If you can measure the space between the top of the 12th fret and the bottom of the string on both the E & G.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by Picking Dick View Post
    Thanks, Willie. My finger tips are "built up". I also play banjos and ukuleles, and I can "press the strings down". I think I just expected my improvement would be much quicker, as it was when learning all the wind instruments that I play. I'm creeping along, but I'm progressing. It's just more difficult than I had planned. Ahhh, well . . .
    I sense, from a couple of your answers a defensive attitude. No one is discounting your ability on other instruments that you play, but by your own admission you are new to mandolin. I can tell you if your fingers are " built up" for banjo, ukuleles, or even guitars they probably are not for mandolins. This is evident by you saying they feel too tight. Don't take offense, listen to the advice you have been given. I have bought quite a few mandolins and always have to set them up to be playable most more expensive than your Gold Tone. I'm not knocking your mandolin, just making the point that most any mandolin needs a set up other than what the factory did. The exception is probably a custom made mandolin made by someone that plays. My Dearstone was very much playable when I bought it from Ray, although I did a few minor adjustment to make it "mine". You will have to play mandolin for some time to adjust to twin short high-pitched strings. That's just a fact no matter how long you have played other string instrument. Yes you can push the strings down but it feels like work. That will pass in time if your mandolin is properly set up.

Check out Rob Meldrum's free setup e-book.
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...by-Rob-Meldrum
    You can do it yourself and your mandolin will be far easier to play, and better sounding too.

"The exception is probably a custom made mandolin made by someone that plays."

Plus one...

Though some craftsmen (women and children ) may have the ability to copy the obvious, it takes a player to understand, and execute the details that differentiate an acoustic appliance from a fine instrument.

Gold Tone set up.. for whom ?

Well, Mandoplumb, I'm sure you know much more about mandolins than I do. I will consider what you and all the other posters have said while I continue to trudge on.

The rest of this week is the second week of my clawhammer period, and I'm also noodling my mando banjo from time to time. Next week I'll start working on Irish tunes with it and a banjo.

I'd like to thank everyone for all the good info, I'll be mulling over what you've said.

Dave Sheets

Mandolin family instruments are some of the toughest on your fingers, I play lots of different things, and mandos are the toughest on your finger calluses. Mandos used to tear mine up something fierce. Still worth it, mind you...
    -Dave
    Flatiron A
    Way too many other instruments

Default Re: Mandolin Questions

Yeah, sheets, I guess I just didn't know what to expect. Only the G string gives me a bad tone once in awhile, but the rest are doable. I want to see how it goes before I change anything. I'm old and retired so I have plenty of time to dabble with music, my hobby for 70 years on and off. Thanks for your post.

Hi Dick! Welcome to the Cafe.

Rob Meldrum's e-book on mandolin setup says that the clearance between the fret wire and the bottom of the strings at the 12th fret should be about 0.050" to have no buzzing and be set up for fast and easy playing. If you have a set of feeler gages out in the garage, you can check this dimension pretty easily. That might give you an idea if your new mandolin has the bridge/saddle set too high.

If you don't have feeler gauges, a US dime is a good test. Should be .053” thick. See if you can just slide a dime under the strings at the 12th fret