Thread: Getting started

Default Getting started

Hi all- I'm new to the Cafe and am enjoying the amount of information it contains. I'm also pretty new to the mandolin in spite of owning one for many years. It's the most difficult instrument for me to play with any sense of ability. Guitars have been my primary musical focus and transposing that ability to the mandolin has proven to be difficult. I decided to get a bit more serious about it and along the way found MC. If I were to get any one book/cd for beginner instruction, what might that be? I can't read music but have a good ear and sense of rhythm; if that matters. I do have Mel Bay's chord book. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Default Re: Getting started

If you have an idea of what you want to play on mandolin, that could help to inform the book/CD suggestions. I've found Butch Baldassari's "30 Fiddle Tunes for Mandolin" to be really excellent because you can hear the lesson on the CD and learn to read standard notation or tablature from the book at the same time.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

Quote Originally Posted by lenf12 View Post
    If you have an idea of what you want to play on mandolin, that could help to inform the book/CD suggestions. I've found Butch Baldassari's "30 Fiddle Tunes for Mandolin" to be really excellent because you can hear the lesson on the CD and learn to read standard notation or tablature from the book at the same time.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL
    Thanks Len, I'll check that one out. I like straight ahead bluegrass but also appreciate the Newgrass style of Bush, Grisman and others for their flat-out virtuosity. I guess my choice would be the latter style.

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

For someone starting out with mandolin, I'd recommend Mike Marshall's Mandolin Fundamentals For All Players, a two DVD series of lessons is pretty comprehensive on fundamentals. It is available here: https://shop.platformpurple.com/?shop=10&tags=137# or directly from the Homespun Videos website. You can get physical DVDs, or digital downloads.

I wrote a paragraph or two on guitarists starting on mandolin in the short article that's linked in my signature.

Also, as a mandolin newb, I like to participate in the Newbies social group here at the cafe, you're invited to join in! Link for that in my signature as well.

There are some great social groups here on the cafe, probably the most popular is a song-of-the-week group.

Check out the Learn/Listen tab at the top of the page here (lower right in the header) - you'll find some lessons, social groups, cafe-on-demand, tabs, audio, etc.

Welcome to the cafe!
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

5. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

Mark, ...wow. What a great place to begin. Makes me wonder why I didn't join this forum years ago. I'll be busy on what you've provided alone. Thank you!

7. The following members say thank you to PDuster for this post:

Might want to check out my ergonomic videos here:

http://www.petimarpress.com/mandolin...%20videos.html
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

For a 'grasser fiddle tunes, there are hundreds of books out there, and then one of the many Monroe books with song solos and tunes tabbed and notated out. The Marshall recommendation is a good one, another good book Mandolin for Dummies by Don Julin is worth a look. The thing about moving from guitar to mandolin, which many here have done, mandolin is backwards ... but with no B string all chord forms scales patterns etc are completely movable either up or across the fingerboard..... fifths tuning is cool..
    R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Very cool Pete. Lots to learn. Thanks.

Decide on a genre {bluegrass, jazz, classical, celtic}, buy some CD of that genre and listen to find a song or two you like and can eventually sing in your head. Then just sit and woodshed til you get the melody on the mandolin. It takes time but it works if you're patient. Best of luck.

12. The following members say thank you to Denny Gies for this post:

As someone who also came to mandolin from guitar, I have found it invaluable to have DVD's Done by great players just so I can watch and try to internalize their right hand mechanics (and left too, but right is more crucial). Mike Marshall is good for that. So is Butch Baldassari's bluegrass mandolin workshop. Also Norman Blake's mando DVD and Sam bush's lead and rhythm ones. Each of them plays a little differently and I have found that helpful If I had to pick one I'd say Baldassari supplemented by YouTube videos of Marshall teaching how to hold the mandolin, right hand mechanics etc. it's such a teeny thing, your whole physical relationship to it is different than with the guitar, and watching and imitating works better for me for getting knowledge into my body than being told what to do and trying to do it.

14. The following members say thank you to Mark Miller for this post:

Marshall and Baldassari keep coming up so I'll check them out. YouTube is also a good source. I've rarely played guitar standing up with a strap. Usually it's on a chair or stool cradling the guitar. I find that technique tends to roll my shoulders and body forward due to the size of the mandolin. I think that's poor body position so I'll get mando strap to set that part up better.

16. The following members say thank you to PDuster for this post:

I would recommend Mandolins heal the World by Don Julin , A lot of information , technique, tunes , music theory, presented in clear and easy to understand videos complete with practice tracks.
    Don,besides being an excellent musician , is a real teacher, knows how people learn (pedagogy) ,having been a ski teacher for 35 years, I have some insight to teaching, not every great player is a good teacher.
    Don has a free 14 day introductory offer, got me hooked.