Thread: another "Carl Fisher" Martin tenor

Default another "Carl Fisher" Martin tenor

So there were a couple of threads in the past (here and here) dealing with Martin tenors that sold for what seemed to be absurdly high prices for their condition. A poster pointed out they were both examples of early 0-size tenors, made at the request of the Carl Fisher chain of stores. As they were supposedly the first successful 14-fret Martins of any kind, that made them collectible enough to command such high prices.

See Robert Corwin's page on this - the CF model pictured with the "Paul" or "Raul" carved on the top is the same guitar discussed in the first thread linked above.

Well it looks like another one just sold on eBay, and this one was a rare 1929 0-21T - only 3 made that year, and only 5 or 6 ever. It has the same rounded, narrower upper bout as the other CF examples, and the year fits the time frame. This one was apparently refinished, replacement bridge & pickguard, some repaired cracks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600-5.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	306.7 KB 
ID:	155788

The listing included a photo of an appraisal by Norman's Rare Guitars of $1500, but gives no indication that this is a special piece beyond the style and year.

So, did anyone here get this? (not me, though I did put in a bid) Was this was the tenor deal of the century, or about par for its value? How big a deal is the Carl Fisher design or status?

And while I'm here, did anyone here buy this 5-21T? It was only up for like an hour or so with a buy-it-now price of $1000. I was in the process of paying for it when it sold.

2. The following members say thank you to Seonachan for this post:

Default Re: another "Carl Fisher" Martin tenor

Quote Originally Posted by Seonachan View Post

Well it looks like another one just sold on eBay, and this one was a rare 1929 0-21T - only 3 made that year, and only 5 or 6 ever. It has the same rounded, narrower upper bout as the other CF examples, and the year fits the time frame. This one was apparently refinished, replacement bridge & pickguard, some repaired cracks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600-5.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	306.7 KB 
ID:	155788

The listing included a photo of an appraisal by Norman's Rare Guitars of $1500, but gives no indication that this is a special piece beyond the style and year.

So, did anyone here get this? (not me, though I did put in a bid) Was this was the tenor deal of the century, or about par for its value? How big a deal is the Carl Fisher design or status?
    I was watching this one as well. The refinishing concerned me. I think the spruce topped Martins of that era used Adirondack red spruce. Part of the appeal for me is that they age to that nice orange brown color. This one lacked that color due to the refinish. Also, I'm not familiar with that style headstock on the tenors of that era. Do you know anything about the history of the tenor's headstocks?
    And since it sold for almost the same price as the appraisal, I'm not sure that it was such a great deal. ymmv.

Quote Originally Posted by Seonachan View Post

And while I'm here, did anyone here buy this 5-21T? It was only up for like an hour or so with a buy-it-now price of $1000. I was in the process of paying for it when it sold.
    I never saw this one, but like you I would have jumped on it at that price. It sold for less than many of the more common 5-15T's. I think the buy it now price was way too low. In my mind this was a better deal than the Carl Fisher model. Now if that one hadn't been refinished.......

As an aside, how much of an issue, if any, is the use of bar frets on tenors of this era?
    Scott

Tenor Guitars, 1959 Martin 5-15T, 2007 Fletcher Tenor tuned cgda, Blueridge BR-70T
    Mandolins, Jacobson Nautilus #15, 2013 Eastman MD305, 2002 Weber Aspen
    Banjo, 1925 Oriole "by Gibson" Tenor Banjo

Default Re: another "Carl Fisher" Martin tenor

What's rather odd about the reported serial number is that in the Martin Shop Order Number 39198 is listed as a 00-18, part of a 50 batch which were not tenors.

It them makes the guitar ever more suspect. The timing is correct though.

There was a 39128 0-28 Carl Fischer Model request on Jul 16 1929.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbendhiker View Post
    I was watching this one as well. The refinishing concerned me. I think the spruce topped Martins of that era used Adirondack red spruce. Part of the appeal for me is that they age to that nice orange brown color. This one lacked that color due to the refinish. Also, I'm not familiar with that style headstock on the tenors of that era. Do you know anything about the history of the tenor's headstocks?
    And since it sold for almost the same price as the appraisal, I'm not sure that it was such a great deal. ymmv.

I never saw this one, but like you I would have jumped on it at that price. It sold for less than many of the more common 5-15T's. I think the buy it now price was way too low. In my mind this was a better deal than the Carl Fisher model. Now if that one hadn't been refinished.......

As an aside, how much of an issue, if any, is the use of bar frets on tenors of this era?