Thread: Mandolin accompaniment

Default Mandolin accompaniment

Hey all, new to the forum here and I have a question. So my girlfriend just recently purchased an Eastman mandolin from the mandolin store which I'm teaching her how to play. I used to play a few years back but I'm primarily a guitarist these days so I haven't picked one up in a while let alone a quality mando and I guess I caught the bug again. The only problem is that I find the size of the instrument pretty uncomfortable. I'm just trying to get some opinions what might sound the best accompanying her. I'm looking into OM or zouk(or even a mandocello if I stumble upon a few thousand dollars). She's not really a big old time/country girl so it would be closer to rock music or even Celtic tunes. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Default Re: Mandolin accompaniment

Hi Adamman,

I am not really sure I understand what you are asking, but I can say that I love playing my short-scale OM. In fact, these days I play that more than I play my mandolin.

I think the OM is great for accompanying the mandolin, but others may offer better suggestions. You can certainly accompany her with your guitar, if accompanyment is your primary goal. Mandolin/guitar duos work well. But if you want a mandolin-family instrument to do that with, the OM would work nicely. OMs cross genres easily, too, so rock and Celtic aren't a problem for the OM.

Best wishes,
    Bob
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

Sorry it was a bit rambly, I meant I liked the feel of the cord shapes and the droning you can get on it and I wanted something similar that my sausage fingers could manage because mando feels too cramped for me

Hi Adamman,

OK, I get it. I still think an OM is a good choice for you, but I have a real thing for OMs, so I might be a bit biased. I know I am not alone in that, though, so it might be correct anyway.

A short-scale OM will have more room on the fretboard, but the 'reaches' are not unreasonable. That will help with the chord shapes. Some like longer-scale length OMs, but my fingers are not all that long, and I like my short-scale length just fine.

Some like the guitar-bodied OMs, but I prefer the mandolin-shaped bodies (A or F) because I find their sound more 'mandoliny', which is what I am after. Since you already play guitar, you might like a more mandoliny OM, as well (but YMMV).

If you can get to a shop that has an OM or two you can try out, you'll get your answer. Problem is, it's tough to find a shop that stocks them. If you let us know where you live, someone here might be able to recommend a place. That's the beauty of the Cafe; lots of knowledgeable, helpful people.

Best wishes,

Bob

I used to play a few years back but I'm primarily a guitarist these days so I haven't picked one up in a while let alone a quality mando and I guess I caught the bug again.
    ok, I will be the voice of reason here..

Although any remote excuse for new instrument seems like a great idea to me, one of the best accompaniment instruments is in fact the guitar!

I realize, that means no acquiring a new instrument, and starting a née instrument is the whole point to begin with.
    Purely based on tonal range, I like the idea of Mandocello. For more practical reasons, the Octave mandolin.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Also, if you're teaching her as well as accompanying her, an octave mandolin means that you and she will be making the same chord shapes. Shorter-scale octave mandolins like the Trinity College Asian-made, solid wood instrument, are relatively affordable.

The "zouk" or bouzouki you mention is basically, in its current "Irish bouzouki" configuration, an octave mandolin with a longer scale. There is also the "real" or Greek bouzouki, which is different, or at least generally tuned differently.

Mandola or mandocello could also be an accompaniment instrument, but the fingerings for the chords would be different -- might make it not as good a teaching tool.

Concur that you can also do great accompaniment on guitar, but you do lose the ability to teach the fingerings at the same time.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I've been playing guitar with her so far but the neighbors are going to start to worry if I yell don't look at my hands one more time. OM was what I leaned towards first. I'm in central New Jersey and there aren't any shops I know of around here that stock OM,s to try. I've played Kentucky mandos in the past so Trinity college might be a thought but I was just so blown away by the Eastman she picked up that I may go that route.

Eastman is making a 300 level octave mandolin that is supposed to be arriving at dealers in May or June. $700. I'd hold out for that before paying the same for the Trinity octave from Saga.
    https://themandolinstore.com/product...tave-mandolin/

Here's a Weber Gallatin Octave for $1975
    https://reverb.com/item/4649729-webe...dolin-gallatin

9. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

Hi Adamman,

Colorado Al is giving good advice and you might want to follow it. On the other hand, Central New Jersey is not all that far from Philly. You might want to call Joe Todaro at Todaros Music in Lansdowne (just west of Philly) to see what he has in stock (NFI). He is a real mandolin enthusiast and knows his stuff. He sometimes has OMs in stock. Might be worth a trip.

300-series Eastman OM, say what?
    Higher numbers to come?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cameron View Post
    300-series Eastman OM, say what?
    Higher numbers to come?
    Only MDO305 has been announced. No idea if other versions are being produced. Looks like you can preorder at mandolin store or elderly

Here's another Weber Gallatin OM A style for $1900
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/109690#109690

Thanks for all the advice guys, I think I'll wait around until I see those Eastman models up for grabs

Used for Chordal accompaniment, more like a Guitar, is the Irish bouzouki,
    its what a picking buddy uses instead of a guitar as his singing accompaniment.

Put up a music stand in front of her or you, blocking the line of sight?
    so she does not try to form guitar chords.. on the mandolin..

then after a while being able to see what the chord changes are by name can be useful..

Maybe its like trying to teach a wife/daughter/son to drive a car,

better to have someone un emotionally attached, do it?

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture