Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My mandocello/OM conversion project

Default Re: My mandocello/OM conversion project

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phone 4 24 17 039.JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	156427

This is stamped inside. Looks like Kay made a guitar called rain song. maybe that's what the SR in the serial # is for. Don't know if it was even an archtop.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by James1223 View Post
    Just a couple of pics today. A dry fit of the neck and fingerboard extension.

Name:	IMG_0389.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	500.1 KB 
ID:	156354 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0390.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	486.2 KB 
ID:	156355 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0391.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	492.9 KB 
ID:	156356
    Looking nice. I assume some of the wood on the fret board extension will be carved away? Also noticed the bottle of Titebond III and assume that it not for the project.

The new neck looks very neat -- what it the ball park price range and wait time to get a custom neck like that made?
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Daniel View Post
    Looking nice. I assume some of the wood on the fret board extension will be carved away? Also noticed the bottle of Titebond III and assume that it not for the project.

The new neck looks very neat -- what it the ball park price range and wait time to get a custom neck like that made?
    I never was much of a traditionalist, so it's Titebond to the rescue. The neck cost less than $100 delivered. And from the time the Luthier got my money to the time I got my neck was about a week. I'm sending it back to get the width trimmed a bit. The new neck will be 1-9/16" at the nut and 2-1/8" at the joint.

I'm still waiting on the fretboard and frets. They got sent to the wrong place, thanks USPS. The extension is going to have some extensive carving done. It's too thick and the shape hasn't been finalized.
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Apr-30-2017 at 11:21am. Reason: Fixed quote syntax

Big thank you to Allen Guitar Supply for the fretboard, fretwire and bone nut blanks.

To dye or not to dye? That is the question. I'm leaning towards not dying the fretboard a uniform black. I'm kinda digging the streaks.

Name:	IMG_0392.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	602.7 KB 
ID:	156475

Name:	IMG_0393.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	555.6 KB 
ID:	156476

5. The following members say thank you to James1223 for this post:

Blog Entries

[QUOTE=James1223;1571676]

The new neck looks very neat -- what it the ball park price range and wait time to get a custom neck like that made?[/QUOTE

I never was much of a traditionalist, so it's Titebond to the rescue. The neck cost less than $100 delivered. And from the time the Luthier got my money to the time I got my neck was about a week. I'm sending it back to get the width trimmed a bit. The new neck will be 1-9/16" at the nut and 2-1/8" at the joint.

I'm still waiting on the fretboard and frets. They got sent to the wrong place, thanks USPS. The extension is going to have some extensive carving done. It's too thick and the shape hasn't been finalized.
    James thanks for the information and it all looks great. However I would recommend using regular Titebond I (red label) not II or III as they are essentially irreversible. That is it would be hard to melt them if you ever have to get back into the instrument of steam the neck off for repair? See if others chip in on that before making a final decision.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Well, that ship has sailed, partially. The back was glued on with the bottle you saw in the picture. The Stewmac catalog recommended it for repairs and new builds and it was the only Titebond in stock at my local hardware store. They carry the regular Titebond, they were just out of it when I went in there. I'm sure I can pick some of the regular stuff up locally to use on the neck and fingerboard.

Okay, I've got a really nice Allen cast tailpiece ordered along with three different bridges and two sets of tuning machines. I like to have options.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by James1223 View Post
    Okay, I've got a really nice Allen cast tailpiece ordered along with three different bridges and two sets of tuning machines. I like to have options.
    Cool! Where did you find options with 5-on-a-plate tuning machines? -- or are you doing individual tuners?
    Bernie
    ____

Cool! Where did you find options with 5-on-a-plate tuning machines? -- or are you doing individual tuners?
    The Allen tailpiece came in today! I ordered it just two days ago. And they sent me a refund for 10 bucks because of an overcharge for shipping. What an outstanding company.

Bernie, I got a five on a plate set of gold plated tuners from Amazon and two sets of 3x3 open gear Wilkinson's gold plated tuners from eBay. I'm going to use whichever set feels smoother. And having an extra set means I'll have to build another one soon! This time from scratch.

Here's links to the items I have on order.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371278548263...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161646048951...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://allenguitar.com/tpcs_mr-10.htm

Blog Entries

Awesome! Lots of presents -- every day is Christmas at your house!
    Bernie
    ____

Quote Originally Posted by David Houchens View Post

Name:	phone 4 24 17 039.JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	156427

This is stamped inside. Looks like Kay made a guitar called rain song. maybe that's what the SR in the serial # is for. Don't know if it was even an archtop.
    Your guitar was made in the First half of 1938 by the Harmony Company of Chicago, Illinois. Kay had nothing to do with it. That's a Harmony date code.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

13. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Love that grain on the front! Looking forward to seeing this progress. It's reminded me I have an old junk shop guitar in the attic somewhere that I'd collected for a similar project, and then forgot about. Might be time to dust it off.

15. The following members say thank you to Happy gnome for this post:

Not a lot got done this week. Work was hell. I did get the neck sent back to Penta to get it slimmed and I stained the top and back in an image to the original finish.

Name:	IMG_0414.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	371.0 KB 
ID:	156852

Name:	IMG_0413.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	537.0 KB 
ID:	156853

Blog Entries

James,how are things going?
    Bernie
    ____

James,how are things going?
    Things are going fine just a little slow on this project. I got the binding all glued in and scraped down. I've restained where need but have not started to spray the lacquer yet. Humidity has been quite high here and I don't have a climate controlled garage. Hopefully next week I'll get to shoot the clear and the black burst on the top.

I'm also waiting on the neck to come back from Penta Guitar Works. It's getting slimmed down a smidge. The nut will be 1 9/16" when it's done.

My other DIY hobby took priority most of the past week. I'm a hobbyist gunsmith. (Soon to be a licensed one, and doing it part time. see my newest build here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/3402...9171366429267/ ) Next week I will be getting back to the m'cello.

Thanks for the interest Bernie!

James, thank you for sharing the conversion build with us. I really like the grain pattern.

How did it sound prior to conversion? What is your expected sound?
    I can only play half as much as I want, because I only play half as much as I would like.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoMandoAlex View Post
    James, thank you for sharing the conversion build with us. I really like the grain pattern.

How did it sound prior to conversion? What is your expected sound?
    That's a good question Alex. I don't really know. When I was shopping for a donor instrument I found this as just a body. No neck, bridge, or tailpiece. It had sever cracks on the top and back and the seams along the back were separating. It was dirt cheap so I bought it.

It's also all birch. I've never had and instrument made from birch but from the videos I've seen on YouTube these Harmony Montereys have a more midrange tone. I don't expect a deep bass like you'd get from a flat top dreadnaught. Other who have done this kind of conversion before will have a better understanding of what to expect. I know it won't sound "bad" but I don't expect it to sound like a Weber.

I will make one promise. As soon a im finished I'll make some high quality recordings and post them here.

21. The following members say thank you to James1223 for this post:

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

My four string version sounds ok with via an amp but I think with your extra strings a overall tension, yours might sound a lot better?
    You can here it at 225 in this vid....

23. The following members say thank you to fox for this post: