Thread: Looking for good elec/acoustic mando in $300-$500 price range

Default Looking for good elec/acoustic mando in $300-$500 price range

Hello,

I am new to this forum, so forgive me if this thread has been discussed before. I have played violin all my life and have just started with mandolin (although it is very similar) and am looking for a decent acoustic/electric mandolin in the $300-$500 range. While I am not adverse to buying used, it sounds as if the set up might be something I would not know how to do (nor would I know who to have do it), so a new instrument might be the easier way to go. I have heard that Eastman 315 is good but may be over my price range. What mandolins would people recommend? I am looking for decent sound and hopefully something not made out of plywood. I don't want to have to upgrade in a year and would rather fork over the money now for something I will really love. Many thanks, folks! Loving this forum!

Default Re: Looking for good elec/acoustic mando in $300-$500 price range

Welcome to the forum!

This is a phone call I receive on a regular basis and your budget should logically be enough, if not for one issue. The best lower priced mandolins are not available with pickups. Those that do have pickups, for the most part, should be avoided.

A good example is the Kentucky KM-150. This is the most recommend lower priced mandolin and it sounds pretty good. You would have to do the pickup install separately, and there is one gotcha. You will have trouble getting a normal sized endpin jack through the F-hole on this model.

Eastmans are great and the MD305 is within your price range. There is no pickup option for this either. You can install one though. No issues getting it in the Eastman F hole.

All The Loar models are available with a factory installed Fishman Nashville. This only adds $150 to the price, but the all solid versions with the pickup option will bump you above $500.

While you may be ok with some of the sub $500 acoustic/electric mandolins, non of these are the highly recommended instruments.

My best suggestion is to go with an acoustic you like, then add the pickup.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Folkmusician.com For This Useful Post:

Not sure what your really looking for but if your primary need is an amplified mando that sounds great with a full amplified band get a used Godin A8 there a well built instrument & its plug and play. Not the right choice if your playing solo or in an acoustic band. If that's the case then maybe you can get a decent acoustic mando as Robert suggested and try a mic onyour mando.

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

I owned a Godin A8 and they are well crafted and play nicely, but I ended up getting a K&K PU installed in my Breedlove American FF. It sounds way more "acoustic" than the Godin.
    Living’ in the Mitten

Thanks, everyone! So if you would recommend I start with an acoustic mandolin and then get a pick up for it, what would you recommend in my $300-$500 price range? I would rather start with something all set up to play, so am not particularly looking for a used instrument, unless there is one that would be much better for the money and worth the set up fee. Again, I don't even know where I would get a mandolin set up around this area, so a new one that is set up would be best. I appreciate everyone's help! I think I dodged a huge bullet on this acoustic electric issue!

- - - Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Folkmusician.com;1567095]Welcome to the forum!

This is a phone call I receive on a regular basis and your budget should logically be enough, if not for one issue. The best lower priced mandolins are not available with pickups. Those that do have pickups, for the most part, should be avoided.

A good example is the Kentucky KM-150. This is the most recommend lower priced mandolin and it sounds pretty good. You would have to do the pickup install separately, and there is one gotcha. You will have trouble getting a normal sized endpin jack through the F-hole on this model.

Eastmans are great and the MD305 is within your price range. There is no pickup option for this either. You can install one though. No issues getting it in the Eastman F hole.

All The Loar models are available with a factory installed Fishman Nashville. This only adds $150 to the price, but the all solid versions with the pickup option will bump you above $500.

Super helpful, thank you so much!!!

You havent given many clues about the style of music you play, or the performance situations you might be in. Also your general geographical area. These are all matters that would make our answers much more relevant to your situation.
    This forum skews towards bluegrass as a default, as do the answers you have received so far. But there are many players and builders focussed on different genres as well. Almost all of us have favourite shops, many of which are small and wont rank high on a general google search but we would be delighted to recmmend if they are in your general area.
    Its pretty important, when you're starting out, to spend time in a friendly bricks and mortar store to try a bunch of different makes and styles, and see what appeals. Welcome!
    Used instruments sold in the cafe classifieds are often set up very well already, since they have been owned by afficionados. Generally I would suggest avoiding pawnshops and antique shops at this point in your quest.

And I cant believe I'm the first to mention this oft-repeated point, but given your budget, you will get a better instrument for $500 if it is an A-style (aka teardrop) body rather than the f-styles like the Eastman 315 and other x15 models. Nothing wrong with the F-styles, they are just more expensive to make with no real difference in quality or sound. That is perhaps why Robert steered you towards the Eastman 305--the x05 Eastmans are all A-style.

Quote Originally Posted by Loubrava View Post
    Not sure what your really looking for but if your primary need is an amplified mando that sounds great with a full amplified band get a used Godin A8 there a well built instrument & its plug and play. Not the right choice if your playing solo or in an acoustic band. If that's the case then maybe you can get a decent acoustic mando as Robert suggested and try a mic onyour mando.
    I don't think you can get a Godin for under $500. The ones that I have seen are in the $700 - $750 range.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

Certainly there is more to choose from in an A style f hole mandolin, but the very best $500 mandolin I ever played was a Flatiron N1 flat top, which was used. Wonderful for everything but bluegrass.

Most if not all our sponsors can sell you a well set up mandolin. Six months playing one will give you a better perspective on what you will really want in your next upgrade.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

11. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

Its not really an acoustic, but the new Gretsch Streamliner hollow body is fairly awesome and reasonably priced at $500 new. These things are silky smooth to play.

13. The following members say thank you to fscotte for this post:

Smile Re: Looking for good elec/acoustic mando in $300-$500 price range

If it's primarily for the magnetic pickup, electric, then a less resonant Thick top will work.

Even plywood..

Fender FM61 a type of semi hollow body a type .. they get better, changing the Pickup..

Taking the opposite fork in the road,

you have an acoustic mandolin which a soundboard vibration sensing pickup is attached / installed or not, .. you audition those for their acoustic sound..

Set up is the key to playability.. get it from a retailer that includes that, not a warehouse discounter.
    They never open the carton it's imported in.

Last edited by mandroid; Apr-07-2017 at 1:55pm.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Just to update, I will be using this mandolin in a variety of situations, but mainly playing folk and bluegrass with friends (who are usually amplified, hence the reasoning behind looking for an electric mandolin), although I also play in a rock band and will likely try that too. I am in the Boston area and would be happy to travel a few hours to get a chance to try some mandolins in person. Again, heartfelt thanks to everyone for your help. I am really new at this and don't want to buy something I will regret. Even if I have to upgrade in a few years, I'd like to start out with something that isn't a penalty. And it does look like going through the classifieds on this website or a reputable dealer will help me get something that isn't damaged or needs a huge amount of work to set up.

As I read it, go forth and find an acoustic mandolin you like, then pay a bit more to have a pickup installed later.. (much archived discussions on pickups in equipment section)

Handicap in loud rock stage environments is an acoustic adding a pickup can act like a microphone hearing its own monitor, and closing the feed back loop.

then is when n+1 kicks in, and you get a solid body with a magnetic pickup.. next
    {Electric 4,5 & 8 string have their own section, bottom of the page)
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I think you should visit The Music Emporium in Lexington Mass. Dont have experience with the store but they certainly have the selection!

I will stick with the recommendation that you get a decent acoustic mandolin, and experiment with ways to amplify it. If you prefer an acoustic sound, you may be surprised how mch easier it is to mike a Mandolin effectively, compared to a guitar. I have a Schertler Dyn-M contact pickup--very good, recommended, not cheap, but the advantage of having a pickup that is a separate unit from the instrument's considerable, you can use it on any old mando you fancy trying for the evening. But most of the time, playing small combos in noisy bars, I just use a condenser mike, Shure 137 in my case, for the mando, and to add some breadth to guitar sound when its plugged in.

My call for ideal instrument for you to start with, for a variety of quality reasons, is an Eastman 505. Well worth the money new and used ones can be had for 4-500. But as JeffD would say, go fill yer boots first. Try a bunch of mandolins.

Suggestion: Eastman MD-305 at the Music Emporium in Lexington for $479. Amplify it with an aftermarket transducer like the K & K Mandolin Twin for $142 list (but Reverb sells it for $99), and you're not too far above the top end of your stated budget.

The Emporium will have the mandolin properly set up, and doubtless could do the installation for you. (If you want an install-it-yourself pickup, the K & K Mandolin Twin Fusion is $30 more, clamps on the outside of the mandolin rather than having a permanently installed endpin jack.) Gonna be over $500 when you're done, but you'll have a quality, solid-wood, hand-carved instrument, and a decent piezo pickup for it.

Concur with Robert above: pick a good mandolin first, then amplify it with a retrofit pickup.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by fscotte View Post
    Its not really an acoustic, but the new Gretsch Streamliner hollow body is fairly awesome and reasonably priced at $500 new. These things are silky smooth to play.
    Gretsch Streamliner appears to be a line of electric guitars:
    http://www.gretschguitars.com/features/streamliner