Thread: 20-year old bouzouki; how to determine it's value?

Question 20-year old bouzouki; how to determine it's value?

I purchased a bouzouki on a trip to Athens, about 20 years ago; we hung it on the wall as art (I don't play). As we're now downsizing, I am interested in selling it. I don't remember much about the purchase - just that I thought it was quite expensive at the time. I found quite a few pictures of Matsikas on eBay, some of which look almost identical to mine - but I'm not comfortable representing this as a Matsikas just based on pictures; it has no manufacturer markings.
    I'm looking for advice on how to fairly estimate the value. I did attract one potential buyer on craigslist by referencing the closest eBay listing ($650) and suggesting a price of $400, but I don't want to proceed because I can't be sure I'm doing the right thing.
    Any help would be appreciated.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B2.JPG 
Views:	192 
Size:	117.3 KB 
ID:	155468

Default Re: 20-year old bouzouki; how to determine it's value?

that's a decent looking zouk but not worth a lot more than the 400 you are offered. only a few makers and eras are collected.

Could you post picture of the headstock? Or a full shot of the instrument? Also it would be nice to see the back as well.

Not to be snarky, but the time to "fairly estimate the value" is before you list it for sale with a price. If I were your potential buyer, offered you the suggested price, and you said, "I'm not selling it, because I might have underpriced it" -- I wouldn't be a happy camper at all.

Were I in your shoes, I'd take the $400 that you listed it for. It's not a legally binding agreement, but if you offer something at a price, then you should sell it at that price.

Just my 2¢.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

5. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Jacob 

Looks decent but on the basic end of the spectrum - these guys are spot on about the price. It's not worth more than 400 at best.

Agree with you Allen. I posted it on craigslist initially suggesting it was probably a Matsikas, or at least appears almost identical. During the exchange of emails with the interested potential buyer, I suggested backing off from the deal - not because I thought I could get more, but because I couldn't be sure it was worth what I was asking. He could have said "I don't care, I'll pay you the $400" - and then I'd be happy. My point is that I won't charge more than $400, but might need to charge less.
    Last edited by gkaiser; Mar-31-2017 at 11:47am.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gkaiser For This Useful Post:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B1.JPG 
Views:	147 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	155500Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B3.JPG 
Views:	125 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	155501Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B5.JPG 
Views:	111 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	155502

10. The following members say thank you to gkaiser for this post:

Another promising update; Nick Matsikas has replied to an email I sent him, asking for pictures and promising to let me know if it is his product or not.
    As I was browsing this forum, I believe I read that he is good at responding to email; here is further support for that claim.
    Thanks to you all.

12. The following members say thank you to gkaiser for this post:

Nick Matsikas replied; it is a Matsikas bouzouki.
    I had someone come to examine it yesterday; he was impressed it was still (mostly) in tune, after 20 years.
    We did find a hairline crack in the surface of the fretboard; cosmetic rather than structural, but a notable blemish. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B6.JPG 
Views:	117 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	155556
    So my plan is to offer it at $300 to the original interested buyer - verified authentic, but blemished. Given the feedback (so far) here, I believe this is a good deal for the buyer. Not a steal, but quite fairly priced; that's my goal.
    And one more shout out for Nick Matsikas and his eagerness to help.

14. The following members say thank you to gkaiser for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by gkaiser View Post
    Nick Matsikas replied; it is a Matsikas bouzouki.

So my plan is to offer it at $300 to the original interested buyer - verified authentic, but blemished.
    And one more shout out for Nick Matsikas and his eagerness to help.
    Thanks Nick! Sakis is a fine company.

I thought it might be their bottom end bouzouki. For 300 bucks it could be very nice overall. These things sound better than they "should" for the price.

Just ran across the comment about still being in tune, and thought it sounded like the strings were 20 years old !? I can barely believe it to be the case, but it never harms to mention that a new set of strings can work wonders :-)
    "What's that funny guitar thing..?"