Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Talk me out of (or in to.. ?) a good deal on an expensive mando!

Default Talk me out of (or in to.. ?) a good deal on an expensive mando!

Hi all!

I've been reading up on mando's in these forums for a few weeks now, and have learned a lot, Thanks! I'm looking into getting my first mandolin, and have found what I think is a good deal, but the price is still quite hefty...

About me: I play piano, accordion & guitar (not simultaneously) in a bluegrass-esque band. Recently our singer bought a cheap mando, and has been slowly learning to play it. She doesn't think she'll be able to play & sing at the same time anytime soon... but the mandolin adds so much to the band! So I've picked hers up for a few songs & have enjoyed playing it. So much so that I'm thinking of adding one to my collection & focusing on learning how to play better.

Initially I was thinking about the Eastman-315. Seemed like a solid & well regarded instrument, and it sounds pretty good to me! But I'm a bargain hunter, and unless I find a used one for a few 100 off, I probably won't pull the trigger. I haven't seen anything recently for one of these, or any particularly good deals on anything else except....

I found an 8 y/o Eastman 815v for $1000. Hard case included.

Spending $1000 on an instrument I don't really play seems a little crazy... but... the bargain hunter in me thinks I should jump on it. Initially I was looking to spend around $4-500.

Please talk me out of (or in to) this crazy purchase!

Thanks

Default Re: Talk me out of (or in to.. ?) a good deal on an expensive man

I think you came to the wrong place to be talked out of buying a mandolin!

I can only think of one reason... A current MD-315 may have better tone than an 8 year old 815V. This is not a sure thing, but the mandolins have improved quite a bit over time. $1000 is still a really good price, and you should never lose value if you get an 815v for that price.

I am one of the believers in "opening up", so I'll bet that 815V sounds better now than it did new, I just don't know if it sounds better than a recent Eastman.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Quote Originally Posted by lmagnuss View Post
    Hi all!

I've been reading up on mando's in these forums for a few weeks now, and have learned a lot, Thanks! I'm looking into getting my first mandolin, and have found what I think is a good deal, but the price is still quite hefty...

About me: I play piano, accordion & guitar (not simultaneously) in a bluegrass-esque band. Recently our singer bought a cheap mando, and has been slowly learning to play it. She doesn't think she'll be able to play & sing at the same time anytime soon... but the mandolin adds so much to the band! So I've picked hers up for a few songs & have enjoyed playing it. So much so that I'm thinking of adding one to my collection & focusing on learning how to play better.

Initially I was thinking about the Eastman-315. Seemed like a solid & well regarded instrument, and it sounds pretty good to me! But I'm a bargain hunter, and unless I find a used one for a few 100 off, I probably won't pull the trigger. I haven't seen anything recently for one of these, or any particularly good deals on anything else except....

I found an 8 y/o Eastman 815v for $1000. Hard case included.

Spending $1000 on an instrument I don't really play seems a little crazy... but... the bargain hunter in me thinks I should jump on it. Initially I was looking to spend around $4-500.

Please talk me out of (or in to) this crazy purchase!

Thanks
    so I should buy the 815 and sell you my 305

Hmm, MD315 costs $700 new, with warranty, setup and all that.

Sounds like a bargain compared to $1,000 for an 8-year-old 815...
    Eastman MD-515

mcorax, the 815V is a lot more mandolin. Better of the older models did extremely well when souped up. I had one in recently that I sold in some ancient time, 2006 or 8 or something, with tremendous wear. Sounded wonderful one reset and tweaked! Much better than the MD315 I have in hand.

- - - Updated - - -

mcorax, the 815V is a lot more mandolin. Better of the older models did extremely well when souped up. I had one in recently that I sold in some ancient time, 2006 or 8 or something, with tremendous wear. Sounded wonderful one reset and tweaked! Much better than the MD315 I have in hand.
    Stephen Perry

Stephen, I realize that.

I was focusing more on the bargain aspect than on quality aspect since that is what the OP seemed to be concerned with.

Being a newbie myself, I would think that a 315 could play much better than I could, for a very long time. Had The Mandolin Store not come up with those "blem" 515s for only $100 more, that's what I would have bought myself.

One of the more important aspects to me, at least with the very first mandolin, was a good, professional setup right out of the box. With a used instrument, it would have to be dealt with - and paid for - separately.
    Eastman MD-515

See the thread on Zita mandolin. Handmade Czech mandolin from a little known builder, screams bargain hunter!
    Play em like you know em!

My 315 came from Music Go Round last year for $300 in excellent condition.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Chris - I'd LOVE to find a deal like that.. Maybe I'll hold off & keep looking

When one talks about "a bargain" it does not necesarrilly mean less money ..a 2500 dollar gibson fern is a better bargain than a thousand dollar eastman..if you get my drift..i recently pulled
    The trigger on an ellis....no bargain.. but alot of mando for the money.. ive seen lesser more expensive instruments ..so bargain is in the eyes
    Of the buyer..

Realize imagnuss is buying a first mandolin, and $1K is a significant investment for, as stated, "an instrument I don't really play." Eastman MD-315's "B-stock," usually with finish flaws that don't effect playability, can be found for $600 or so; Bernumzio had a half-dozen of them last year.

I agree that $1K for an 815 would be a really good price -- contingent, of course, upon the mandolin's condition. It would, IMHO, be a lot to pay for an instrument, when imagnuss was planning on spending half that. There are decent instruments that can be purchased for $4-500. If that's a realistic estimate of the available budget, I'd perhaps looked for a used MD-315 like this one that Mass Street Music sold for $500.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I lucked into my new Eastman 315, for $429, at a local Guitar Center affiliate. It had been sitting there a while, and they were just trying to move it. I wasn't even looking for another mandolin at the time, and walked away for a week. I reminded myself during that week (on a family beach trip) how much I didn't like playing my beater at the time. The 315 was still there when I got back, so I snagged it, and I'm glad I did. It really is a lot of mando for the money...and wasn't badly set up, to boot. So, there are deals out there (I rarely find them), they just require patience, and, sometimes, a little luck.
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by CES View Post
    I lucked into my new Eastman 315, for $429, at a local Guitar Center affiliate. It had been sitting there a while, and they were just trying to move it. I wasn't even looking for another mandolin at the time, and walked away for a week. I reminded myself during that week (on a family beach trip) how much I didn't like playing my beater at the time. The 315 was still there when I got back, so I snagged it, and I'm glad I did. It really is a lot of mando for the money...and wasn't badly set up, to boot. So, there are deals out there (I rarely find them), they just require patience, and, sometimes, a little luck.
    You mean you are supposed to be actively searching for a mandolin to buy one. They always shout to me as I walk buy. I go into a store to buy a set of strings or a pick and this mandolin on the wall will start calling play me, play me, so I have to play it. Then it starts saying buy me, take me home, so I have to buy it and take it home. I don't have. MAS I just can't stand to listen to a whining mandolin.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lmagnuss View Post
    If you have spent any time poking around these enrivons you have doubtless bumped into the often repeated advice that, in general, as an expectation not a rule, but in general, a mandolin is going to cost twice as much as a guitar of comparable quality and condition.

So 4-500 can expect to get you the equivalent of a $200 - $250 guitar. And you know how much guitar you can get for $250.

I agree a mandolin adds a whole lot to the sound of a band. So much sparkle, so much scintillation, more rhythm support, more melody options. And they just look so cool on stage.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I recently got an Eastman 605 in a multi instrument trade. My intention was to just sell it right away but then a funny thing happened,,, I played it a bit and became really impressed with this particular one.

This particular one is right in the ballpark with some other much more expensive similar style mandolins that I have here.
    For the amount that I could sell it for it is just not worth it for me to sell it.
    I am keeping it and I might even sell a much more expensive one that this one can replace.
    I have tried out quite a few Eastmans over the years and have never felt compelled to buy one although I did play one once in a store that was exceptional. It sounded great but I sort of couldn't trust my ears as to how good it sounded so I didn't buy it.
    I should have. Mando-snobbery stopped me.
    I guess my point is that you don't necessarily have to pay a huge amount to get a good mandolin.
    There is always the chance of finding a real gem in the pile.
    If you are fortunate enough to be in a location where the option of trying out lots of Eastmans, or Kentucky's or The Loars etc,,, is available then with some patience you can find a really good one for a reasonable price.
    You dont have to be a "mando-snob" to find a great sounding and playing mandolin.
    A 315 can be a better sounding and playing mandolin than an 815v,,,, you just have to find it.

There are two ways to look at this. Since you're a guitar player, I'll use the electric guitar analogy. Let's assume you wanted to learn to play the electric guitar and liked the Fender Strat look/sound.

You could find a used American made strat for $800 or so, or you could buy a used MIM Strat for less than half that.

A beginner wouldn't notice much difference. It might take you years to ever realize which one sounded or played the best to you.

But if you ever tried to sell either to get an upgrade, or perhaps because you no longer played, you'd probably get a better chance of getting a bigger percentage of your money back on the better instrument.

So... if you can afford it, my advice is to buy the better instrument. Since you're already a musician, you will notice the quality right away. And if you sell, you probably won't take too big of a beating if you get a good deal to begin with.

But if it would be a stretch to your budget, then get the 315. You'll still have a playable instrument for less money.
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Quote Originally Posted by atetone View Post
    A 315 can be a better sounding and playing mandolin than an 815v,,,,
    Possibly true, as Eastmans have been accused of having their more expensive models not necessarily be better sounding than their lesser ones, an opinion that I can't strongly endorse but do understand that it happens. Regardless, one of the top-10 nicest mandos that I've played was an Eastman 915, so what to I know?
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoplumb View Post
    You mean you are supposed to be actively searching for a mandolin to buy one. They always shout to me as I walk buy. I go into a store to buy a set of strings or a pick and this mandolin on the wall will start calling play me, play me, so I have to play it. Then it starts saying buy me, take me home, so I have to buy it and take it home. I don't have. MAS I just can't stand to listen to a whining mandolin.
    My problem is that I seem to be perpetually searching for instruments...the ones that call out to you are devious beasts, indeed!
    Chuck

Atetone - you bring up a good point. Anyone interested in trading a mandolin for a republic resonator??

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	republic resonator.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	155440

I don't think you can go wrong buying a used, quality instrument for under-market price. No depreciation downside.

Always buy the better instrument, even if you have to stretch a bit to get it, if you're a beginner with serious interest. You'll thank yourself later.

I agree with Austin Bob, since you are already a musician, you will hear the difference between a mid-range (good) instrument versus a beginner instrument. I was already a musician when I started with the mandolin, and it was only a few months before I began to want to get a better instrument. I kept my beginner mando (it wasn't bad, and I am willing to loan it out to people who want to try a mando before buying.) I wouldn't loan out my Pava or Weber, but am willing to loan my Loar LM 220. Your ear will definitely hear a difference. I am not saying spend tons of money, but get a good mid-range, used gets you more "bang for your buck."

Don't buy new. There's really never a reason to do that. Unlike many things, instruments actually get better as they get older. Look in our classifieds here and find one. Then if you find that the impulse to own one wears off, you're likely to resell it here and hardly lose any money, perhaps even make money.

Well gee, it's amazing how these things magically appear whenever someone asks about buying one...

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/109344#109344

Quote Originally Posted by fscotte View Post
    Don't buy new. There's really never a reason to do that. Unlike many things, instruments actually get better as they get older. Look in our classifieds here and find one. Then if you find that the impulse to own one wears off, you're likely to resell it here and hardly lose any money, perhaps even make money.
    ]
    Not really a supportable statement....someone has to buy every instrument new or there will never be any used ones available...also pretty soon, civilization grinds to a halt. Just because you didnt buy a brand new mandolin once in your life! Do you want to be responsible for the downfall of civilization? I thought not. But buying new, you want to get one that you will want to keep for a long long time (thus frustrating those who only want to buy used and cant get yours, and driving the price up on used stock by limiting the supply).
    Some things to look for to get a good deal on a new instrument: "new old stock" meaning its been in the store too long; pieces by fairly new makers who have made maybe a dozen instruments but show obvious quality; the periodic "10% off all Eastmans" sale.

Any opinions on the Gold tone GM70? There's a blem on CL for a good price:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-BLEM-Gol...38.m2548.l4275

"The blemish on this is there is some filled in holes on the headstock from moved tuners. This does not affect the function of the mandolin in any way. "

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fscotte View Post
    Don't buy new. There's really never a reason to do that. Unlike many things, instruments actually get better as they get older.
    I largely agree with one exception: if you want an instrument that otherwise would not exist in nature. Then your only recourse is to order a custom build.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5