Thread: Steven Tyler with Elisha Hoffman on mandolin

Default Steven Tyler with Elisha Hoffman on mandolin

Recently I caught a portion of an episode of PBS's Front and Center (1st aired in 2016) which featured Steven Tyler plus a band of musicians playing bluegrass instruments. Elisha Hoffman played mandolin (and sometimes banjo). The songs I heard them play were all Aerosmith, plus 1 from Janis Joplin. It was pretty cool hearing a new interpretation of these, particularly when the mandolin had the break. The show can be seen at

http://www.thirteen.org/programs/fro...er-in-concert/

(My apologies if someone has already posted this. Did a search, but didn't find it.) bb

Blog Entries

Default Re: Steven Tyler with Elisha Hoffman on mandolin

Mandolin, and some resonator mandolin in there too. Cool. The mandolin looks like a blonde Gibson F5. I could not get a brand off the resonator but it appeared to be a classic all metal tricone rez. The banjo is a six string Gold Tone banjitar. Piano, drums, electric bass, several acoustic guitars, and harmonica.

If you like Aerosmith you will like it. If not, not. Tastefully played mandolin break on Dream On. I think of it as Aerosmith-lite. Tyler's voice seems to not have changed much over the years.

I liked watching the faces of the other musicians. I detected a little "oh wow we are playing this song, with Steven!" in there. Made me smile.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....